1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Crash (track laying?) Fix

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by JesusOnEez, Jan 29, 2008.

1. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

I reinstalled Railroads recently after upgrading to Vista and found that even after updating to 1.1 and updating my graphics card drivers it would crash randomly, but most likely when laying a big chunk of track that needs to terraform the landscape. I had the same problem in XP, but it happens far more often in Vista.

I searched the 'net, and in case no-one here is aware of this I thought I'd post it. Many people on Hookedgamers.com swear by this 'self patch' at the very least to male the crash less likely to happen, Here it is;

Note that you can replace the RailRoads.exe with Supreme Commander's exe and Stalker's exe. This fix was originally done for Supreme Commander and seems to be a problem in general with THQ games.

Note that I don't really know how all this works...I just followed the instructions...I'll try and help if anyone has issues but you're more likely to get help by looking at the hookedgamer's thread here.

2. duncaru

duncaru Chieftain

I was having trouble getting the editbin.exe to work.

Instead, I renamed railroads.exe to supremecommander.exe and used the startme command in the 3GB enabler folder...then renamed it back to railroads.exe. By using the view header command in startme, the program shows it was enabled properly.

3. Tae

Tae Warlord

Thanks for posting this. One of the things holding me back from going to Vista is I love having this game to play once in a while and heard about its lack of Vista compatibility.