Random CTD on Rhye's and Fall?

ddrekins

Event Master
EDIT: The game crashes to the desktop without an error message when mousing over the axe icon in the upper left corner in Rhye's and Fall scenarios with perfect consistency.

Hi, I'm sorry for posting this if it is already posted but I did look long and hard for this problem.

At seemingly random points when playing the Rhye's and Fall mod in Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword, I am sent to my desktop without an error message.

This has happened regardless of which civilization I am playing and regardless of how many turns I've taken. It doesn't occur right after I end my turn. It has happened as early as turn 11 and as late as 130+. If I load a game from before it crashed I can proceed beyond the crashing point but it will crash at a later point in time anyway.

I cannot find a reason to upload a save-game for this error as it is independent of the individual game. I have the latest patch for the Civ4: BTS. This doesn't occur in the normal game or on other mods.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

The same thing has started to happen to me today, although it did not happen in the first couple of Rhye's and Fall BTS games that I played.

Same here... and i think i found the problem. Game crashes when you move your mouse over that small-axe icon(button?) in the upper left...i tried this at least 5 times...

*edit: i used Maya

Alright, I'm going to try that out. I want to see if we've got the same issue; I really want to play this game.

That is true. If I mouse over that axe icon, it will crash immediately! I'm going to try playing for a while without going near that icon, if possible and see if it crashes anyway. This needs to be checked out.

Edit: I haven't crashed from anything other than mousing over that icon. What is it supposed to do?

How many saves would you like me to post? This happens every game. I think it is either a global problem or system related. Seeing as how some people haven't heard of it, I'd assume it is system based.

Perhaps if someone could tell me what that icon does in the first place, I could figure this out. I have a Radeon X600 (256Mb VRam) if that helps. (Well, I also have it if it doesn't help but that is just semantics.)

It's been doing a CTD pretty well much every turn for me, but now I've been directed to this thread, I'll try and avoid that axe. Pretty tricky given it's right by the research adjustment buttons and the events log icon...

Regards, Luke

Well, since my last post, I've successfully taken the Netherlands through to an historic victory by avoiding that damn axe button as much as I could. It's still annoying in that it's really easy to just pass over the thing just by accident - and the very barest millisecond with the cursor passing over it is enough to cause you to crash, but at least it's playable. Unless you want to play Carthage, I guess, where you would need to use that button...

Cheers, Luke

Yeah, I've had no trouble playing this VERY fun game as long as I avoid the axe. I wonder why the mercenaries would cause an issue. Does anything happen when you put the cursor over that icon normally? (Such as a little popup thingi that explains what it is?)

Same issue. Will try avoiding axe. Tried with multiple civs on 600AD version. I did notice one crash when I tried to look at the event log so axe sounds like the culprit.

Which civs cannot be played if you suffer from this bug?

Carthaginians seem an obvious one. Not having ever been able to play with Mercs, maybe I'm not the best to comemnt; but it seems that without being able to use your their advantage over the Romans, they are going to be in for a tough time :-(

And I was really looking forward to having a crcak at them...

Regards, Luke

Actually, I've discovered that mercenaries still can be used, even with the button crash. Use the shortcut key. (Alt-M) :)

Top Bottom