Random Events (Feature Request)

Thank you very much. This makes it A LOT easier for me to incorporate them. I expect them to be ready before next weekend. (However, with my 2nd UU/UB modcomp for DoC, I've proven I'm really bad at predicting the finish date of my work ;))

I also really appreciate the "modify" category of yours. I was thinking of doing something similar. I will take a look at them and go for which seems the best option to me.

It would be better for me if you make this a downloadable addition for now, like you did it with your 2nd UU modcomp

No problem. I guess you say this because you don't want my changes to corrupt yours.
(Not that I think it will. I only change the the 2 XML files in the Events folder and the matching text file.)

I think the primary use for events should be for adding athmosphere to the mod rather than adding randomness. That list was kinda mod generic (even if we scrap the unhistorical ones).

Hey there, I'm currently trying the random events in a game with Germany and can't help but wonder:

does changing these files to include the random events remove the "random acts of kindness" by the pope? because so far I've played ~150-200 years without experiencing one (and I hope the crusades are still there, I'll see^^)

edit: okay in 970 I got some gold from him. still seems weird, no spread of catholicism, not a single building or gold before that :(

It shouldn't. I only changed the XML files. The Pope gifts you recieved from faith points are done in python. (And IIRC, the file that handles the faith points is a different one from the one that handles the random events)

A few random event/quest ideas and suggestions.

Random events:
"The Beguines are seeking to expand their sisterhood into our city."
1. "Build them a place to stay." Lose ~120 gold and receive a free religious building of your choice. Or +1 culture in city?
2. "Kindly turn them away."
*Note: Happens in a catholic city. Preferably occurs, but rarely, in Low Countries, England, France, and Germany. Better chance of happening to a peaceful Catholic civ with highest faith points.

"The Guelphs and the Ghibellines are fighting once again in our city from street to street. Which side should we support?"
1. "The Guelphs!" -2 relations with the Germans, +1 relation with the Pope. +25% wealth in trade routes for fifteen turns. Small chance of city revolt.
2. "The Ghibellines!" -2 relations with Pope, +1 relation with Germans. Farms produce twice as much wealth for fifteen turns. Small chance of city revolt.
3. "Keep the guards posted, but this is none of our affair." One to three turns of city revolt.
*Note: only can occur in northern Italian cities between 1075 and 1500 historically speaking, and only Italian cities that are not controlled by the Germans. Can happen multiple times in one city.

"Harvests have been particularly well this summer." +25% food stores in all cities.
"A severe drought has created a bad harvest across our lands." -25% food stores in all cities.
"A bad winter has devastated all crops this year." Every city in Europe loses all of their food stores.
*Note: Bad winters can only occur in Europe. (This is from Sengoku mod).

"The beloved Patriarch of Constantinople has passed away and a large funeral is being held in his honor." (Based from Sengoku)
1. "Send them our best wishes."
2. "Send a small donation." Lose 26 gold and receive two piety.
3. "Fund the entire funeral proceeding." Lose 83 gold and receive five piety.
*Note: this requires that a non Muslim civ controls Constantinople, and this event only applies to Orthodox players.

"Refugees from 'a nearby razed city' are at our gates in CITY." (From SOI)
1. Turn them away! We don't need any lousy refugees!"
2. "They are welcome in our lands." +1 population.

"Religious minorities are raising suspicions among our people in CITY. What should we do to quell their fears?"
1. "Launch an inquisition and rid our city of these heathens." Two turns of city revolt. All non state religions are gone. Gain two faith points. Other minor religions within empire may flee and decrease population
2. "Leave them be. No one in our realm is disloyal."Lose faith points, and +2 unhappiness for thirty turns.

"Peasants wish to leave their master's manors and live freely without being bound to the land."
1. "Put them in their place! They are serfs for a reason!" +1 unhappiness in each city Barbarian peasant units will spawn throughout the countryside over the next ten turns.
2. "Perhaps we should listen and heed their demands." -5 stability penalty and switch to free peasantry without a revolt. All farms are destroyed?
*Note: can only happen when free peasantry civic is available.

"Our silver/gold mine has struck the mother load! What should we do with this extra wealth?"
1. "Donate it to the church." +1 wealth for church building in near city, and +3 diplomacy bonus with pope.
2. "Hire a small army to secure our borders." Receive two spearman with combat I. (Unit depends on age).
3. "Save it! Who knows what may happen in the uncertain future." Receive a small lump sum of gold between 65 and 90?

"Some of our friars and priests in CITY wish to join one of the mendicant orders. Which shall they choose to serve in?"
1. Franciscans: church in CITY +1 production
2. Dominicans: +1 base happiness in CITY
3. Carmelites: monastery in CITY +2 culture
4. Servites: receive a free belfry in CITY
5. Augustinians: +1 free priest in CITY
6. Cistercians: ??
*Note: only available to Catholic civs. You must give up all food stores in the city it "occurs" in. Only three from this list will randomly appear as available options. These orders did have specific regions...

"The stables/barracks/archery range in CITY_NAME has fallen into disrepair, what should we do?"
1. Nothing, we hardly even use it. Building is destroyed.
2. We have to give proper upkeep from now on! Lose 15 to 25 gold and keep building.
3. Revamp the complex immediately! Lose 45 to 50 gold. Building has +1 culture, and gives +1 experience to new units.

"Many soldiers and peasants have departed for the Holy Land seeking fame and glory fighting the Saracen heathens."
Effect: CITY loses one population.

"A sergeant has shown great leadership skills during battle, and has potential for a long lasting career in our military."
1. "Employ him to start leading a company of soldiers." Subtract 100 gold and receive one great general.
2. "We do not doubt his talents, but we're sure that he is best fighting as a soldier." No effect.
*Note: Can only happen during war, especially from constant fighting.

"A great fire has ravaged the city of CITY_NAME leaving many of its citizens dead."
Effect: 1 to 3 population loss in CITY, and potentially lose a building or two.

"The Germans have crossed the alps and are at war with our sister Italian city state!"
1. "We should help defend our Italy from these barbaric invaders, lest we be next!" Receive two basic units, gain a few stability points for ten turns, and declare war on Germany.
2. "We grieve for all soldiers who lose their lives, but this is none of our affair." +2 war unhappiness in all cities, and lose 5 stability for ten turns.
*Note: only available for Italian civs after Germany declares war on one or more Italian civs (Venetians, Genoans, Milanese, and the suggested Florentines, and possibly the suggested Normans in southern Italy).

Byzantine-only Quest:
This one appears near the start and only for the Byzantines:
"Emperor, shall we embark on re conquering parts of the Roman Empire?"
1. Yes, we should take what is rightfully ours! Receive a small army and navy. (Must conquer six historical Western Roman provinces/cities within 40-50 turns). Or conquer Sicily, Ifriqiya, Naples, Tangier/Seville.
2. No, we have Sassanids and barbarians to worry about on our frontiers! Automatically at peace with independents if not already (in other words, nothing).
Reward:Byzantines receive 1000 gold, starts a golden age, and extra stability for 200 years.
*Note: However, if you fail, your empire experiences a period of instability and unrest. So only accept if you plan on finishing it.

Regular quests: if any quest should be added, one with relics should be included.
(If relics are made part of the game)
Bring two relics from the holy land to your capital city within 50/75 turns.
Reward: All built churches and monasteries have +1 wealth, and/or your faith points are tripled.
*Note: Quest is given only when you are chosen to lead crusade.

"All realms start out small my lord, but every conquest is vital to grow." (Conquer a city, you fail this quest if you lose a city first.)
Reward: ?? Something small.
*Note: this starts a turn or two after your civ spawn, but doesn't work for flipping cities.

Edit I
"Civil unrest has led to riots and looting."
CITY experiences 1 to 3 turns of anarchy
*note: only has a small chance of occurring if CITY has prolonged unhappiness.

"A pious monk found an ancient cache of forgotten scrolls! What shall we do with them?"
1. Confiscate them and sell each in the markets abroad! (Effect: receive between 125 and 175 gold).
2. Make multiple copies in the monastery at once! (Requires a monastery in CITY. Effect: monastery +1 science beakers and +1 culture).
3. Have them displayed in the cathedral for all to see. (Requires a cathedral in CITY. Effect: cathedral +10% culture bonus).

"An acclaimed alchemist has dedicated his life's work in a single journal." (SOI derived)
1. Advance his work in distillation: Gain X amount of beakers to TECHNOLOGY_NAME.
2. Advance his work in finding the elixir: 50% chance of +2 health to all cities.
3. Codify his journal for all eternity: Libraries +1 beaker?

"A band of disorderly soldiers has caused trouble at a local inn resulting in property damage."
1. pay for the damages and address grievances: Lose between 10 and 35 gold.
2. Send condolences: +1 unhappiness temporarily.

"A general has grown tired of the instability plaguing our lands and seeks to profit at our suffering."
Effect: Some units defect from CITY_NAME and spawn around the countryside as barbarians. *Notes: can only occur from prolonged instability.

Edit 2:
Rival religious groups are fighting within CITY.
- 2 turns of anarchy in CITY
*Applicable in cities with two religions

Sunni and Shiite groups are fighting within CITY.
- 2 turns of anarchy in CITY
*Only applicable for civs with Islam as state religion, and Islam within target city.

A merchant has returned from the Far East!
Let's see what goods he has brought back! (Receive 30 to 300 gold)
Perhaps he has brought back knowledge from those exotic lands? (Free tech?)
Send him back with missionaries to help spread the Christian faith! (Receive 5 to 10 piety)

Heavy rains and flooding have caused damage to CITY.
- Lose 1-2 buildings, and possibly 1 population in CITY.

A local knight has fallen on hard times and is in debt.
- We will pray for him, but there is nothing more that we can do.
- Pay his debts and a fine new horse. (Pay X gold and receive one knight)
- Instruct him in the latest military science. (Pay X gold and receive one great general)

Top Bottom