Random Events (Feature Request)

Chep

Emperor
(edited)

As per suggestion, I will try to collect suggestions for random events and possibly quests in this post.

Since I have no modding experience, I need the experts to tell me what's possible and what isn't ;)

Random Events

Colony-Related Events
(all also require having at least 1 atlantic access res)

"Free the Slaves!"
pre-requisite: Civ owns at least 1 Colony and controlls at least 1 "Slave Ressource"

'The usage of slaves in your oversea colonies causes unrest with the poor who sympathize with their suffering.'
Option 1) If they care so much for them, let them help -> -1 Population in all cities, +3 unhappiness (decreasing after time) or minus 1-3 stability (permanent), +1 Slave ressource
Option 2) Well, they might care, I don't and if they protest, kill them. -> 1-2 cities revolt for a turn and barbarian units appear just outside them (like successfully dealing with a minor civ revolt)
Option 3) They're right, we should give them the option to become free and live among us -> + 2 population in all cities, -1 slave ressource (permanent), minus 2-5 stability (permanent)

-----

"Unrest Overseas"
pre-requisite: Civ owns at least 1 non-trading-company-colony (aka one of the earlier ones)

'A new chieftain has risen amongst the indigenous population in our colony and challenges your superiority.'
Option 1) After a while things go always back to normal -> lose income (res) from the colony for 10 turns
Option 2) Send some of our military to deal with the problem -> 1-4 military units leave (similar to crusades mechanic) 50/50 chance that they will succeed and return with some gold (~500) or fail and the colony becomes restless (as option 1) for 20 turns.
Option 3) Lets try to bribe some of his rivals -> lose ~500-800 gold, 20% chance colony will produce 2 of a certain ressource instead of 1 (eg Gold Coast goes from 1 Gold, 2 Slaves to 2 Gold, 2 Slaves)

------

"Fountain of Youth"
pre-requisite: Civ owns at least one of the American colonies (?)

'Sire, there is a rumor that within our colony lies a fountain which grants eternal life'
Option 1) What utter nonsense, but let's cash in on the action. -> grants lump sum of gold
Option 2) Send an Expedition to research it -> costs gold, gives +2 happiness (decreasing over time) plus 10% chance of +2 health in all cities

------

Civic-related Events

"The peasants demand freedom"
pre-req: printing press, civ runs Serfdom or Tribalism

'The rural population demands more rights, Mylord'
Option 1) Switch to Free Peasantry immediately (no anarchy)
Option 2) Ignore their demands (+2 unhappiness, decreasing over time, plus packs of 2-3 barbarians appear within culture every 3 turns for 15 turns)

---

"They poison our wells!"
pre-req: civ running State Religion, Theocracy or Organized Religion; non-state religion present in >1 city (civ not Poland)

'The heathens are a danger to our safety, we hear they poison wells used by the true believers of our faith'
Option 1) Then we have to drive them out with force! -> purges nonstate religion from (up to) 5 cities, +1 diplomacy modifier to all civs with same faith, -2 to all others (not limited to the followers of the persecuted religion)
Option 2) I'm sure that's not true, we have to accept their different ways. -> +1 diplo modifier with civs who control holy cities, 33-50% risk of plague hitting capitol (doesn't spread)

-----

to be continued later :)

I would like the SoI version of random.

- Religious small effects like saints and holy places
- Choices where you have alternatives, sometimes between different good things, and sometimes different bad things
- Maybe some random troops spawning due to events
- Religious unrest, rebellions and barb spawns
- Civics affecting possible outcomes
- Corps affecting cities in good and bad ways

What I dont like:

- A fire has destroyed you forge
- A random tile has lost its road
- Something bad has happened: "Ok"
- Harvest was bad

I was thinking of a combination of that. Some events will be as vanilla BTS, some will be a little determined like SoI.

However, I think also the bad events (like forge on fire) should be in as well. Only good events feels wrong. (like nothing bad can happen in the real world)
Even though I don't like it when they happen in my empire.

I also dislike quests.

There are several bad events in my example. Fire that destroys forge is just so plain boring and irritating. It is even as boring as a forge just appearing in one of your cities.

They are removed from this mod. But I'm concerning to bring them back in.

@ absinthered
What do you think about it?

I'm also in favor of events
Many things to do, and recently I didn't have too much modding time
It will be much better in the upcoming weeks though

I will make a start on the events by bringing back the original XML and remove all ahistorical events. By the time we add custom events like SoI, it's some time later. (So you can focus on other things on your todo list)

I think that the fun thing to do with this would be dynastic effects.

"You have failed to produce an heir.... do you want to (a) marry a princess from X, who require a city in exchange now or (b) risk the extinction of your dynasty?" If you chose (b) there would be a 50/50 risk of a massive cut in stability.

"Civilization X has sent an emissary to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage...." +2 relations if you accept.

I do like the idea of having historical random events and not just the generic "fire destroyed forge" instance.

@Chep
This thread for example
You even have the opening post to keep it updated with all the ideas

Some civic events would be cool. Like the population is demanding change, change to feudalism without anarchy? Or something. The population requires religious law, change or face unrest?

"They poison our wells!"
pre-req: civ running State Religion, Theocracy or Organized Religion; non-state religion present in >1 city (civ not Poland)

'The heathens are a danger to our safety, we hear they poison wells used by the true believers of our faith'
Option 1) Then we have to drive them out with force! -> purges nonstate religion from (up to) 5 cities, +1 diplomacy modifier to all civs with same faith, -2 to all others (not limited to the followers of the persecuted religion)
Option 2) I'm sure that's not true, we have to accept their different ways. -> +1 diplo modifier with civs who control holy cities, 33-50% risk of plague hitting capitol (doesn't spread)

I would change option 2 to +1 diplo modifier with civs who have that religion as state religion. Arabs would hold Jerusalem, Ottomans Constantinople, yet they do not follow those religions. OK, so you have no reason not to prosecute Jews, but hey, that's historical.

"Return to the homeland"
pre-req: a city that contains foreign population
Your new [foreign civ] subordinates want to live in their homeland. Will you allow them?
Option 1: Yes, send those traitors home -> lose the population relative to percentage of the that civ in the city (always keep 1, of course) + 2 diplo modifier (you allowed our citizens to return home)
Option 2: No, they are [your civ] now -> Revolt with change of losing city, like the spawn of a new civilization.
OK, looks a bit like a old-fashioned revolt, but at least you can send them home.

"Brothers in Faith"
pre-req: another civ prosecutes your state religion
Our brothers in faith are being procecuted. Will we welcome them?
Option 1: yes, we shall give them a new home. -> +1 population in a city (unproductive for 10 turns, like a protester), + 1 stability
Option 2: we don't have the resources for that -> +2 unhappiness (you didn't protect our brother in faith!) for 10 turns in your cities that have your state religion
Like the French protestants fleeing to England, Holland or Germany, or muslims fleeing Iberia to the Ottoman empire

"plus 10% chance of +2 health in all cities". They might find one fountain of youth. Rather stick to the happiness bonus for trying!

I think we also should consider that nationalism showed up quite late in Europes history and the concept of countries/nations werent that strong before that.

When the random events option gets added to the mod, will it be possible to make it an optional feature so that it could be turned on/off under advanced game settings?

You all can help us bringing back the random events. If you give me all random events that should be removed, I will do that. Those can already be included if I'm finished with that. All custom ones can be added in later.

You find a list of all events in the link below.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236727
If you give me the numbers of all events that should be removed, I will do that.
Please only note the events that are unhistorical, not the ones you don't like. (Like fire in a forge)

@topic: thanks for the good suggestions/feedback, I'll update the first post soon, that more of an "something along these lines"-post anyway where I haven't even listed most of the ideas I had, just give me some time and continue to post your ideas.

You all can help us bringing back the random events. If you give me all random events that should be removed, I will do that. Those can already be included if I'm finished with that. All custom ones can be added in later.

You find a list of all events in the link below.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=236727
If you give me the numbers of all events that should be removed, I will do that.
Please only note the events that are unhistorical, not the ones you don't like. (Like fire in a forge)

okay, I went over it, in most cases I give a short explanation why I think it should be removed, then there is another list of events that require techs that are no longer in this mod (at least under that name), but that could work if the requirements were adjusted. Then there are events which are okay but mention some sort of wonder we don't have and a couple where I was still undecided:

Remove:
7) (oil found) - I don't think we have oil in this mod
12) (slave revolt) - should be incorporated in a colony-based event using the slave-resource
13) (blessed sea quest) - requires eastern religion and poses restrictions on the map, makes no sense in context, idea can be recycled
14) (airliner crash) - no flight before 1800^^
25) (free spice resource) - I think it should either be limited to certain areas or changed to another kind of resource (dye maybe) if you want to keep it
43) (sour crude) - again, no oil in the mod
55) (bermuda triangle) the required ships are not part of the mod
63) (motor oil) oil, need I say more?
65) (electric company) idea can be recycled, event scrapped for the time being
66) (hindenberg - sic!) no flight before 1800^^
67) (comet fragment) no spaceships either in this mod ;)
71) (solo flight) flight...
76) (independent films) yeah...
77) (olympics) we have the crusades...
78) (modern olympics) requires 77
79) (interstate) industrial age event and imba in this mod -> remove
80) (earth day) environmental protection? not yet
81) (freedom concert)
88) (metal decks) no flight -> no carriers
89) (long range fighters) no flight
98) (impact crater) no uranium in this mod
99) (the huns) we have the mongols as a separate event
103) (vedic aryans) asian barbarians...
111) (boilers) requires factories
112) (personal computers) yeah, right...
113) (fuel additives) for the horses?
114) (hamburger joint)
115) (tea) since tea is a colony res and not a "domestic" res here, this event doesn't work
116) (fashion) idea is nice, but requirements don't fit the mod, would recommend scrapping it and creating a new event along the idea
119) (banana split) no ice cream
126) (crusade) declare war on rome??
134) (chilly flight) flight...
135) (industrial fire) no factories
136) (laboratory) - we don't have labs and free speach, right?
142 (too close to call) no elections
146) (war chariots) doesn't fit the timeframe
154) (civ game) requires computers
155) (slave revolt warning)
160) (defecting agent) no real intelligence services in the game
162) (spy discovered) industrialism age event
163) (nuclear protests)
165) (broken dam) I think we have no hydro plants here
167) (golden buddha) no buddhism here
169) (toxcatl) no aztecs
172) (rogue station) no radio
174) (impeachment) no americans (at least as a civ ;) )

Modify?:
tech-req not in the mod:
2) (knowledge found in city ruins) obsoletes with Radio/Refrigeration/etc....maybe change to something suitable? or keep as is and it won't obsolete
4) (gold rush) requires Writing/Monotheism/... does this need to be changed?
26) (tornado) same as with 4, techs required are not in the mod in this form
31, 32, 34,35,36) (natural desaster destroying improvements) requires writing, horsebackriding, monotheism or ironworking...
38&47) (parrots/prairie dogs) requires animal husbandy -> change to calendar and it is ok, maybe change type of animal in the description as well, but that doesn't matter
46) (tin) requires bronzeworking -> change to engineering? blast furnace?
48) (ice sculpture) currently requires aesthetics
50) (mining accident) requires bronze working and wheel and...
53) (running bulls) requires animal husbandry -> calendar
60) (bowyer) requires "archery" and it should obsolete with "flint lock", imho, however technically printing press (current) works, too
72) (antelope) requires hunting for free deer resource -> calendar?
73) (whale of a thing) requires sailing -> lateen sails? astrolabium?
74) (hi yo silver) requires mining -> calendar
82) (axe haft) requires bronze working
91) (reinforced hull) requires metal casting...
95) (forty thieves) requires horseback riding
100) (the vandals) requires iron working and metal casting
101) (the goths) requires mathematics & iron working
102) (the philistines) requires monotheism & bronze working
105) (security tax) requires metal casting or iron working or....
109) (marble statues) requires aesthetics
120) (horse whispering) requires animal husbandry
124&125) require a wonder that is not in the mod for one of their quest options
137) (experienced captain) there are no military academies in this mod, or are there? means the 2nd option should be modified
145) (greed) requires bronze working (also has oil if no one has oil it shouldn't matter)
148) (warships) requires sailing & metal casting, also has option featuring the great lighthouse
149) (guns butter) mentions taj mahal in options
158) (great beast) requires hunting and polytheism
171) (pasture built) currently obsoletes with Calendar, I think this should be changed or the event is effectively deactivated
173) (anti-monarchists) requires hereditary rule -> change to feudalism?

one answer or something similar should be changed:
28) (bards tale) - the 3rd option (requiring radio) should either be scrapped or changed
30) (brothers in need) - ivory, oil and uranium are not in the mod, should be removed as options, apart from that the event is fitting
159) (controversial philosopher) no akademies in this mod - remove last option?

Unsure:
16) (holy mountain quest)
58) (rural farmers) there is no "grocer" building in this mod, right? (however the event fits, so maybe the requirement could be changed) also 110) (crab cakes) requires grocer
64) (federal reserve) lowers inflation and requires "free market", I'd tend to cut it from the list, but it could maybe be argued to remain
70) (influenza) requires modern age but not medicine, I'd say remove, we have something like this with the plague, however with slight changes it could be fitting for the mod
83) (tower shield) requires mining (would need to be changed), also: obsoletes with engineering, so basically useless for this mod, can be removed, imho, even though fitting for the period
122) (classic literature) could be made to work, even without the great library, but doesn't quite fit as is
141) (crisis in the senate) maybe for limited monarchies? merchant republics?
143) (charismatic) would require police state
150) (noble knights) seems too overpowered as knights rule most of the game. (also currently requires horsebackriding and mentions the oracle)
166) (rabbi) could be made to work/fit, however: is that desirable?
170) (dissident priest) similar to 166

Thank you very much. This makes it A LOT easier for me to incorporate them. I expect them to be ready before next weekend. (However, with my 2nd UU/UB modcomp for DoC, I've proven I'm really bad at predicting the finish date of my work ;))

I also really appreciate the "modify" category of yours. I was thinking of doing something similar. I will take a look at them and go for which seems the best option to me.

aint bad guys....but in my experience, events appear chance might be heightened. in regular games aprox 4-5 happens to you, and cca. 10 to other ai-s what you know about. and i urge you, to add more neutral events, where you can choose what to do...

Top Bottom