Random events v3

Version 6 with amazing events online... now I'll rest for a while of making events. If someone can do other event I'd be really pleased. (for example culture change... don't know if is me but I wasn't able to find how to change it).

And yes, ideas are welcome. ;-)

I know this has been proposed already but why not have events where you can choose the outcome? From Lua you can have the random generator select the event that will call a popup, the player can then choose an option. One flaw that I see immediately is that I have no clue how the AI will handle it since events happen around the world.(right?)

I love your mod and have been using it for several days now. I noticed some spelling mistakes, so I went into your file and fixed them up. I changed some things that had some awkward phrasing as well. If you want to do a quick version 7 with my changes, I'd be happy to ship the file over to you!

Thanks for this mod! This is really the sort of thing we need for Civ V.
I would really like to see some kind of minor revolution event, where unhappy cities enter "resistance" (with the fist icon) mode for a few turns during which they might spawn barbarian (or better yet city states in permanent war) as rebel fighters around cities, giving preference to Occupied and Puppet cities. The more unhappy the Civ is, the longer each rebellion period.

Another cool one might be to have Barbarian encampments turn into city states that declare permanent war on their closest neighbors, but that might be harder.

Currently using this MoD, it's added a bit of needed chaos. Though the tsunami is ruthless..w/ in 6 turns, or so, I had 2 hit. This mad a mess of my economy for a bit while recovering lost citizens. This was closely followed by a fire on a plantation, wiping happiness off the map. good times.

All said and done, it's random, adds chaos, though for awhile it seemed that my Civ was paying long lost debts to the 'old gods'. Also, grammar typos, and such need to be addressed. keep up the good work :cowboy:

Played a game today where Spice was added through a random event. The spice was clearly there in the tile, and there was no problem building plantation, but the spice never showed up in the luxury list. I never got the 5 happy from it, but the tile did get the plantation yield bonus. Later in trade windows, spice was seen on the left side, meaning the program did not think I had spice.

Make a group list of the random events in first post.

*Combine this with Bhruics TreeGrowth mod and add Forrest/Jungle/Mars/Ice growth/removal.

*New goody hut event.

*An improvement can become damaged.

Spelling error detected, "Useless proyects started in Cumae cost the empire 187 Gold."

Should be projects. Quick fix but would love to see it in next version. This mod (and future improvements of same) are exactly what I was looking for when I entered the MOD DB. Random events rock!

If you don't mind, I'm going to take a look at this code later today when I have time... Maybe try to set it up in it's own Lua file (rather than overwriting the core file). ;)

This is beautiful. Dooooo it!!!!

Random events v6
Ideas for new random events are welcome

Mine resources (Iron, Gems, Silver, Gold etc) have a chance to yield +1 production, with scripting similar to BtS (The development of a system of mine carts has caused all Iron resources to produce +1 production in your empire) or bonuses / penalties for a single resource (clunker ore causes this Iron plot to lose +1 production). Same with gold yield / plantation resources (new agricultural techniques etc) etc etc etc

River expansions (due to soil erosion near existing rivers or lots of farms near the coast). I don't know if this is possible but it would be really cool and go along well with real-world events.

"Natural" road appearance (terrain features allow for easy movement without the improvement of roads in some areas...) I'd suggest having this happen to 3-4 connected tiles at a time (in random areas). This could also work with natural forts on hill tiles (or tiles adjacent to mountains).... however I would say that the fort should never overwrite existing improvements (so you might want to wait for the patch which should include script to not overwrite improvements under specific conditions)

Bonuses for city improvements (Harbors +1 food, lighthouse +1 happy) in a single city or empire wide per BtS events.

Here's the changes I made to NewTurn.lua that fix typos in the messages. I didn't change anything else, just the notification messages. Since I saw a few people in this thread note typos, I figured I'd share. I hope ArbogLi doesn't mind and I hope there's a version 7 of this awesome mod. I also hope I am doing this right...

Just overwrite the original file in your \MODS\Random Events (v 6)\Lua folder with the one in this zip.

Attachments

• NewTurn.zip
    4.5 KB · Views: 100
Earthquakes might be extremely deadly....playing a game with 3 academies around my capital, (my librarians are working very hard), all of which are permanently destroyed by a single earthquake.... If they were razed by other civs, I can always "repair" them later, but earthquake remove it altogether and that's a loss equivalent to losing 3 great scientists. Is it really intended to be that dangerous?

I think the danger - as it applies on a global level - really is worth it and totally part of the charm. It's not just the player who sees these disasters, remember. Likewise, as much as a setback can be frustrating, I love seeing challenges and being forced to adapt and change my strategy to accommodate the new situation. That is the one thing that differentiates a game from being "city spam with no strategy" into an actually fun strategy and tactics game, which Civ should be (and typically has been.)

I'd like to upload a screenie of a really great experience I had with this mod tonight, a "negative" effect which actually helped me enormously. I was in total world war with a Rome ICS strat on Emperor, mid-late game, and had been in "very unhappy" for over 5 turns with a range of -10 to -16. The next turn I was at zero unhappy. My first reaction was, wtf happened? Then I saw this, went, "...Oh. Hey, cool!" And played on. Frankly, this is the kind of thing that should have been in the original game. Thankfully this mod with its emigration effect tied to causality in metagame parameters makes it possible. I don't intend to play another civ game without this mod running (and a couple others.) Screenie follows.

@gruven, thanks... working on the text edition.

@Kanin, I think I know why happens. If I'm not wrong the problem must be solved in the next version.

@hgthechinese, yep... the earthquakes destroy all the improvement around the city ("only" the adjacent), I think about add the choice of pillage the surviving improvement as second option: damaged/pillaged combo.

And working on "damaged improvements" (but I'm still looking for the method to set a plot as pillaged), if I can I'll upload the v7 today but no promisses.

An idea-- go REALLY big with some truly giant (and for balance and realism reasons, VERY unlikely) events.

My fave-- An ASTEROID hits the world and annihilates 25% of the entire map. (Just use a bunch of nuke animations)

Other thoughts-- A Yellowstone SUPERVOLCANO-type eruption and all of the itinerant effects.

Tornadoes-- Very small, utterly devastating.

An alien landing-- Totally unpredictable, completely unequivocal event.

Zombie breakout-- The undead randomly rise, kill and turn your units into more undead.

I say go crazy with this!

An idea-- go REALLY big with some truly giant (and for balance and realism reasons, VERY unlikely) events.

My fave-- An ASTEROID hits the world and annihilates 25% of the entire map. (Just use a bunch of nuke animations)

Maybe do it more meteorite style, have it = 1 nuke.

Other thoughts-- A Yellowstone SUPERVOLCANO-type eruption and all of the itinerant effects.

Cool idea. Which "itinerant effects" did you have in mind?

Tornadoes-- Very small, utterly devastating.

These always suck when you're the one getting them, but still, I tend to like the overall effect tornado-style events have in the game.

An alien landing-- Totally unpredictable, completely unequivocal event.

Zombie breakout-- The undead randomly rise, kill and turn your units into more undead.

I say go crazy with this!

I'm gonna have to say anything too far along these lines will have me looking for a new mod that doesn't incorporate them. Not that they aren't potentially interesting, but the thing I like about Random Events is how they work with the existing game and events in the world unique to each play-through to create reasonable "intrigue" without too much impact on overall strategy, something to react to, not change the entire game. Of course, having those features available to "enable" for more extreme players is definitely not out of the question.

Top Bottom