Rapid expansion start with artists (and Franco-Iberia?)

the trade depot seems to be a big help too, as are trade routes. So i think pioneering might be stronger then chemistry even when not rushing the first settler (or aquiring it via virtue). But chemistry does feel very powerful indeed.

Do natives often take potshots at trade convois even if not provoked?

If you're going for a fast expand, then take the free Settler first, and go back for the worker later.

also, Pioneering should be your 2nd tech to research (first if you really want to do it, but I'd go Chemistry first).
You suggest Pioneering for internal trade routes, right? (which seems to give huge boon to both cities) But how often they are attacked by aliens? Is building trade units before Ultrasonic fence a good idea?

I believe that the UltraSonic Fence building has a quest associated with it that allows you to either expand the radius of protection or to make trade units immune to aliens.

If you opt for the second choice, then you can run trade routes where ever you want as long as your Terran rivals don't try to ambush them.

I love the focus in the discussion on peaceful expansion and rapid build-up of infrastructure. The only thing I see as being absent is the wild card of aliens, not to mention competing colonies...but mostly the aliens.

Even if one pursues a relatively passive and deferential stance towards the aliens, they are after all wild animals and can be expected to behave in ways that are in their own best interests and not in that of the invading colonists.

So the sugestions so far are wonderful but, apart from mentioning the occasional soldier or two, they almost completely discount the potential havoc that a nearby nest can cause the colony's expansion plans.

Just sayin...because I too am a relative peacenik in Civ, but this planet may require one to have a big stick to carry around for those times when a friendly wave and a cracker tossed at the passing Siege Worm won't be enough. :) So my plans are going to include some industrial capacity set aside to build up a military sufficient to deal with an unexpectedly hostile alien threat. Naturally, I will also build whatever buildings/fences that I need to help cope with it as well. But IMO it can't only be just about best case scenario planning.

A couple soldiers can handle the units from nests, and if you are being trolled by a worm or something later you can just fence it until you have affinity units.

This is kind of like the play through I am trying now (Franco, artist). Only the way I am trying my virtues is going for the tier I synergy bonus. It is working out real good. Pretty much the same with opening heavy in Prosperity and Industry and using Knowledge alittle bit later to keep the culture flowing. I'm playing for a domination win so even the Might stuff will pay off.

The thing that really shines here is that you are going to have a vary strong core to your empire from all the synergy bonus and they all come fast.

+10% growth in every city (prosperity)
+10% culture in every city (knowledge)
+10 energy in every city (Industry)
+10 production in capital (tier II bonus)
+10 energy in capital (tier II bonus)

As well as 3 free techs in your first 20 virtues, one in the middle and then 2 at the end getting them both back-to-back, plus the free virtue to speed it along. Plus all the single virtues you are getting along the way and since you are pulling from all 4 branches you always have access to what you need at the time.

I can see this working best for a domination game because they all just seem to work best that way, with a few core cities and many puppets. But it might be good for other wins as well plus again 3 free techs and the big one being 2 at the end back-to-back.

Always welcome the fed back.

I'm a bit sceptical about including prosperity as the good virtues are in tier 3 whereas tier 1 and 2 are mediocre at best. Generally I think you want to limit yourself to 2 trees.

If you play as Franco-Iberia you really want to get the cohesive values, networked datalinks and memeweb chain if you want to get 20 virtues let alone 30 when you have around 10 cities.

The bread and butter of REXing in BE is to exploit the ridiculously powerful trade routes that are availiable for each city and in second hand building the cheap, fixed yield buildings. To that end, industry is probably better than prosperity.

I would recommend 3-4-3 in both order and prosperity to maximise tier bonii if you are doing a strategy with many cities. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmtfzkk6v2ustib/Industry knowledge.html?dl=0

If your rexing without Franco-Iberia prosperity + industry might be workable. https://www.dropbox.com/s/to6mnwsr85x4fvp/industry prosperity.html?dl=0

Top Bottom