RAR modmod: global colonization

Hi Marla,

as requested I will give my opinion on this. :)

A) Yes, it is a very interesting concept. But it would need to be a mod-mod of WTP (successor mod of RaR).
It would need heavy changes in DLL logic and XML and graphics that massively conflict with WTP core mod (and previously RaR).

B) It is definitely technically doable to create such a mod-mod if you find modders with programming skills that would like to support.
But you will also need support from other experienced people to e.g. create graphics and balancing.

C) It will also need a lot more changes than only DLL and thus an incredible amount of effort if you play on complete World-Map instead of "New World".
(Nations, Ressources, Events, Units, Professions, Buildings, Texts, Balancing, ...)

Summary:

It is definitely one of the most interesting scenarios for a mod-mod. But it is also an incredible amount of effort that I currently do not feel it is realistic.
We can hardly keep WTP alive and currently there are almost no graphical modders around and only few modders that want to create full new features.

If we (the currently active modders) should decide to support this, it would basically be the end of WTP core mod. (Due to lack of ressources.)
At the moment I personally would not be willing to end WTP core mod to work on this. (Due to the incredible amount of effort needed.)

It is simply not realistic at the moment with the limitted amount of modders (e.g. for graphics) we currently have.
If the Civ4Col modding scene grows again, things might change though. :)

Sorry if I can not tell you anything more positive. :c5unhappy:
But I would be lying then.

Last edited:
I believe this could potentially be done mostly with pure XML and Art modding.
Sorry to disappoint but no, that is not correct. :c5unhappy:

You would need to change a lot more:
(All of that would not be compatible to WTP core mod.)

- Africa (a new Port like Europe)
- Port Royal (a new Port like Europe)
- massive amount of AI changes (because Kings could now have Cities / Buildings / Units before WOI and might do crazy stuff)
- changes to Diplomacy (because again you completely change the game for Kings)
- changes for automated Transports
- changes for placement logic of Wild Animals (e.g. to not be spawned in Europe)
- changes to DLL-Diplo-Events
- changes for War of Independence (e.g. logic for spawning the waves of King Ships and Units)
- MapScripts and Nation-Placement logic (unless you only want 1 single scenario map with no random placement)

But yes, the XML and Art will be most of the effort because the amount of changes needed would be so massive.
(Nations, Ressources, Events, Units, Professions, Buildings, Texts, Balancing, ...)

Eventually you might even have more Terrains and Terrain Features. :dunno:
(Which would allow more specific placement of Ressources.)

------

Trust me, this is not a simple "XML"-project if you really want to make a "quality mod(-mod)".
This really needs a dedicated team with a lot of different skills that is willing to invest a lot of time and effort.
(Similar to the team we had in TAC or RaR or now in WTP.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom