RB13 - Collateral Carnage

I get the impression that the next set is likely to be builders turns so I'll try and grab this this evening and then Snaproll can pick up some more fun turns. (Also, I can't play Friday night and Sat is unknown.)

Zeviz said:
The city has so many units in it that despite attacks by all our planes (including 6 carrier-based fighters)

Um, can someone clarify, but I didn't think we were allowed to attack stacked units with fighters (no collateral damage), or am I mis-reading this?

Dreylin said:
Um, can someone clarify, but I didn't think we were allowed to attack stacked units with fighters (no collateral damage), or am I mis-reading this?
Sorry about that. Yet another mess up in my turnset. (Although this didn't make much of a difference in this case, because by the time carrier-based units attacked before the storming of Karakum the only units left for them to attack was wounded artillery, which would have been redlined by collateral from our artillery anyway.)

PS I forgot to say in my report: most workers on southern continent are sleeping. Most workers on northern continent are either sleeping, or on road network orders. The benefit of road network orders is that they cause workers to automatically connect any disconnected resources, so I don't have to worry about reconnecting stuff disconnected by enemy spies.

All,

First of all I must apologize profusely for my sudden absence. I hope Kylearan told you all what was going on (I'll go back through the thread and look here in a minute) but in case he didn't I'll tell you again. I'm in the military and I got a 4-hour notice that I was to deploy to the middle east from my commander, and it was completely unexpected. I'm not really in a deployable position, so it was a real shock and not something that I expected. In my 4 hours of preparation time I completely forgot to post, and for that I am sorry. I am glad that Kylearan emailed me, as they will let me get to email but not many other websites.

In any case, except for another week-long trip starting on june 26th I should be around from now on, and I'm ready to play (although a bit rusty). I hope things have been going well.

Hey Snaproll, good to hear you're back OK ... but with only 4hrs notice I'm sure you had better things to do than post here, so no need to apologise!

So I've taken a Builder's set; starting with this:

Some interesting pictures:

Mao starts a Golden age, and when his borders pop out, starts farming over a nice mature Town! :(

Scotland Yard completes (I renamed the city "Scotland"; can't miss it) and it starts rolling out the Spies. Plastics research moves to Rocketry, and we do a naughty thing:

Emancipation Anger is really starting to bite now that Vicky has switched as well, so halfway through my turns I make the change ... Ouch, 4t of Anarchy, however it does mean that there won't be so much backlash from this:

Vicky has kindly removed the defenses, so all our Bombers have to do is soften the defenders....

and our fleet can remove the pimple:

Unfortunately, it seems to have tipped Mao over the edge - he cancels all deals and declares us his worst enemy. He moves some gunships around to spite us. We finally come out of Anarchy at the end of my set.

I think I agree with Zeviz and favour making a move on Cathy rather than Mao ... with the full awareness that Mao may join in against us if he feels we're weak. To that end, I have been massing our Bombers in Xochicalco and shuffled the fleet back East.

Cathy's ships are split in two cities; half are directly across the straight in Krasnoyarsk, while the remaining are further East in Novgorod. Novgorod is out of range of Bombers from any of our (or Vicky's) cities, however it is also out of transport movement range of our land. If we can take (and burn) Krasnoyarsk on the turn we declare war, we should cripple Cathy's ability to invade - after that, we can watch where the Novgorod fleet sails IBT, and destroy it at sea before it can land.

Scotland is a turn off completing our final Spy, and then could start on West Point, or maybe Three Gorges? We are 2turns from Rocketry which will allow us to build Nukes, and then we should probably head to Satellites for our SDI. Oh, I found Cathy's:

but no sign of Mao's yet. Cathy is a couple of turns off researching Flight, while Mao is on to Computers. I did spot several (of both AI's) cities building Bomb Shelters....

The Save

Hi,

hey Snaproll, good to have you back! And in one peace, too - well done. :)

I think that makes you up. We've long abandoned any time constraints, so take your time finding back into the game. In a nutshell: We've won more or less, and have agreed on using the optimal and terminal way of dishing out collateral damage: Nukes. :nuke: Have fun! :)

-Kylearan

Snaproll, it's good to see that you are ok. And don't worry about not giving us a warning, if you only had 4 hour warning yourself.

About the game, if Mao cancelled deals with us, he is probably about to attack. So I am switching my vote back to "attack Mao, because Cat is less likely to backstub us. Another reason to attack him is that he is more technologically advanced, so he'll get Mech. Infantry first, and those guys will be tough to fight with Artillery. Before attacking him, we can station stacks of Artillery away from the border, but in range of cities, so we can easily recapture Mongol cities on his border. It doesn't matter how often the cities change hands, as long as we end up destroying more Mao's units than we lose ours.

For insurance against Cat's sneak attack, we can have an extra Artillery unit sitting in each airport. If she lands an invasion force, we just airlift all that Artillery to nearest airport, and we have a counter-attack force ready.

Turn 1 - Basically I'm just repositioning units and sending the fleets towards China. I leave several destroyers near Russian invasion city, but I've seen several battleships of hers, so that could be interesting. Check out this insanity in Beijing:

Turn 2 - Finish rocketry and start on sattelites, figuring I might as well go for Stealth Bombers, the only collateral damage unit we don't have. I start building our first ICBM in the ironworks city (due in 5 turns) and the people of Richmond finally join our empire.

Turn 3 - The more I look at this the more I realize we are going to need LOTS of units. I've got virtually every city building units, be I don't know if I'll actually be ready to attack. Am I too cautious? Perhaps, but the border with China is LONG.

Turn 4 - Our stack is taking shape in Satsuma, but I still need a few more turns to reinforce the border, not knowing where the potential counterattack will come, compounded by the fact that we have several cities vulnerable to a first-turn attack.

Turn 5 - The AI has tons of gunships, so I feel like we should at least wait until we get our first few SAM infantry in place...

Turn 6 - These turns are really rather uneventful, but with so many cities to defend on the border I'm not sure what choice I have. I don't want to have to retake all of them. Maybe going after China first wasn't the correct plan.

Turn 7 - Our first nuke and SAM infantry are ready. My goal is to try to get things all ready for the next player to attack.

Turn 8 - Satellites comes in.

Turns 9-10 - All I'm really doing is airlifting lots of troops to the Chinese border. The turns have been quite uneventful other than the massive buildup that I've put together. We are about ready to attack and when the second ICBM is ready I'd go ahead and go for it. I may have been too timid here, and if so I apologize, but when we do finally attack, it will be a bloodbath.

The Save

Welcome back Snaproll !!!!!!

Considering the diplomatic penalty for using nukes, perhaps we should reinforce the Russian border before launching them.

Also, to absorb Mao's first counter-attack, if we have enough gunships, we can use them to pillage the roads leading to our border cities on the first turn of the war. I had a lot of success with that strategy in a private game, and it will be even more effective here, because it will expose his attackers to lots of collateral fire.

I'll be out of town for a little over a week (for vacation this time) so if my turn comes up again before then please skip me. I should be back by Wednesday the 5th.

Hi guys,

I still haven't found the time to play this game. My deepest apologies for that, but I'm (unexpectedly) drowning with work at the moment, and won't have the time to play until Friday, 14th. After that, I'll have a lot of spare time to play again. (What's even worse, I won't be able to finish Epic 4, which is really a shame. :mad: )

If you want to play without me until then, or wait for me, is up to you.

Sorry all!

-Kylearan

Well, the current Roster is:

Kylearan -> Wanting a Skip
Snaproll -> Just Played
Zeviz
Dreylin

If we're going backwards through the order now :crazyeye: that would make me up, but chances are I won't have a lot of time the next few nights (and what time I do have could usefully be spent on Epic4 reporting & Epic5 playing) so I have no problem with waiting. OTOH, I should be available early next week, so if Zeviz wanted to play a set, then I could pick it up then.

I theoretically could play within the next few days, but I'll also have to work on Epic 4 report, unless I want to just paste my notes directly into the report again.

So I'll try to fit in a set before Monday, but Epic 4 report has priority.

Hi,

hard to believe, I know, but I finally played my turns. This SG can finally continue, yay! :crazyeye: And in fact I had a lot of fun during my turns. :hammer:

After reviewing our situation, I decide to wait with declaring war on Mao until we have at least 2 ICBMs. Oh, and I intend to use them aggressively in this war! No post-game ICBMs for the fun only, oh no. I'd like to incorporate them into my war plans! :nuke:

1886AD: West point is finished.

1887AD: Our second ICBM completes, and I declare war on Mao! And to stir up things a bit more, I buy Cathy into the war as well to take care of her monster stacks our spies can see.

A stack full of artillery, a panzer and some SAM infantry starts to advance on New Sarai. Mao's main forces are all in Beijing, but I do not use the nukes yet as I suspect he has bomb shelters there.

Instead, I'd like to attack them in the open. We have a LONG border with the Chinese, and some cities have no cultural buffer. Especially the northern cities are hard to reinforce, so I hope they can serve as a bait for his stack.

IT: Indeed, Mao attacks Ning-Hsia in the north with lots of units, and takes the city. He loses several units as well in the process.

1888AD: Okay, now he has one stack out in the open at Ning-Hsia, and another one in the city - and that city has no bomb shelters!

Time to get rid of these two stack... :mischief: Let the nukes fly!

The first nuke severely wounds both stacks. Then, the second nuke wipes both stacks out completely. :D

Er...now we have a -2 diplo penalty with Cathy for "you nuked my friend"?!? She's at war with him, and still his friend? There's something seriously wrong here...

IT: Our attack force at New Sarai gets attacked by lots of artillery, and we lose the panzer and one SAM infantry. Ouch.

1889AD: Yeah right, now we're worst enemy of Cathy (we have -6 "declared war on our friend" penalty now), but we also no longer have the "nuked our friend" penalty. She cancels all deals with us - yeah, whatever.

Nearly all our our bombers get intercepted by enemy fighters - good thing we're researching towards stealth bombers! Nevertheless, our glorious artillery (city raider III, combat I rocks!) kills all units in New Sarai and takes the city.

Tiflis in the north is threatened by 2 tanks and 2 gunships, and is only protected by a SAM infantry and one arty (we lost some units against gunships there already). I attack with the arty to wound the stack, and airlift in a panzer, hoping the city will hold.

Cathy comes with lots of gunships, and her monster stack is moving on transports at the sea, shadowed by our fleet in case she gets funny ideas.

IT: New Sarai gets attacked by lots of units, and we lose a panzer and a SAM. Tiflis gets not attacked, but pillaged instead. Go ahead, Mao! :goodjob:

1890AD: Since the Chinese units at Tiflis have split up, our panzer can come out and destroy the two tanks.

To keep the world busy, I bribe Victoria into a war against Cathy. :D

1891AD: New Sarai still got attacked by several units, and our stack there heals and gets reinforced with defensive units. While we have lots of artillery, we lack defensive units to protect these artilleries.

1892AD: Victoria completes Hollywood, and sells us movies for singles. Oxford gets razed by Russia. Our units are still trying to heal under heavy enemy fire.

1893AD: Composites comes in, and I select Robotics next (for the stealth bombers). I start to produce some modern armor for defense.

1895AD: We get a great engineer, and I start a golden age. Our stack starts to advance on Shanghai.

1897AD: Cathy had landed her stack near Beijing some turns ago, and lots of fighting and pillaging ensues. Go at it, Cathy and Mao!

1898AD: With heavy bomber support (who fly despite enemy fighters and SAMs), we capture Shanghai.

A second attack stack starts to move towards Macau.

That had been fun! I was only able to capture two cities, as I had to face heavy resistance from Mao. But he's gassed now, and also our first modern armors have arrived - I had lost quite a few defensive units before, but the MAs should be able to stop that.

lurker's comment:
Well I had completely forgotten about this one...

Hey Ky,

Nice use of tactical Nukes there ... I see you wiped Ning-Hsia right off the map!? :nuke:

Also a little bit of :devil: getting the rest of the world to war!

How are we doing for Dom % and victory?

Top Bottom