Re-Install Failure

solops

Warlord
I installed and played Civ III on my PC with no problems. I did the v1.16f update, had no problems. I did the v1.17f update and had no problems. Later, I decided to uninstall and then re-install the game and do the v1.17f update without the v1.16f update (jet fighter intercept did not seem to work).

After doing the uninstall I am now unable to re-install Civ III at all. The setup menu pops up and instead of an "Install" button I have a "Reinstall" button. When I push it I get an option to remove the game (!!?), which I have already done. I push the button anyway and it does something very quickly and I wind up with one new file (a 2.8 meg civIII exe file) in my Windows directory. I have tried uninstalling and installing via the Windows control panel as well with no better luck. Something seems to be residing on my PC that tells the setup that Civ III is still there. I have subsequently manually deleted all directories and files that have "CiV" in them.

And yes, I disable all running programs, including Norton prior to trying to re-install.

Running Dell Dimension 4400 1.8Ghz, 256 Meg RAM, WinXP

Help.

And what happened?

Deen Wood

Buy an uninstall program. Norton Clean Sweep is a good one.. When you go to install a program, the software keeps a record of all the changes the program makes to your hard disk Later if something does go wrong you can remove it using the uninstall software. It takes you back to the condition your computer was in before you installed the game. That should take care of your re-install problems. It is like installing the game for the first time.

Thanks. I have already fixed the problem by editing the registry. This was my first effort at registry modification and it was not something I want to do again. Apparently when you do either or both of the updates additional sets of "remove program" entries are made. Only one set is removed when you remove Civ III and subsequently Civ won't re-install because those remaining registry entries are telling it that Civ III is still there....but there is nothing to remove.

I re-installed just fine, but did not start and save a game before updating. Is this a problems?

FYI Got this from Infogrammes Tech Support. I had already fixed the problem by doing something similar.

Solops
-----------------------------------------------------------------

THIS OPERATION IS VERY SENSITIVE, PLEASE READ THE WARNING BELOW BEFORE
ATTEMPTING TO CHANGE ANYTHING !!

WARNING: Please be very careful when you are in this registry editor. Any
changes that you make even if they are accidental can not be overturned. You
MUST exercise extreme caution when working with the editor as any incorrect
change can crash your computer. If you are not familiar with windows , its
settings, and this editor we do not recommend you doing this alone. Please
contact a certified technician for help if you are not sure of how this
editor (regedit) works. We also advise you to keep regular backups of your
system in case of failure due to any reason.

Then start up your reg editor.
Start --> Run --> type: "regedit" --> enter

The first three keys are:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOr
der\Start Menu\&Programs\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III]

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Menu
Order\Start Menu\&Programs\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III]

You can get to those, by clicking the little plus next to each folder with
the names listed above between the slash (\).

The fourth one is a bit more complicated and the most important. In the
registry editor, if you follow the folders to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, you
will need to look for a folder with a name similar to
{978A2104-8363-11D4-AA23-0000E889C4DA}. It probably won't be this exact
one, but if you click on the entries, there should be one that has a
DisplayName that is "Civilization III". Once you determine which key it is,
you can delete it.

If responding, please reply so that I have all prior contacts.

Janea
Infogrames-U.S.
www.ina-support.com

Top Bottom