Reaching for the stars

This map might win the Best Petra City competition. Mmmmm, haboob Desert and Uluru.
Unknown Nazca means it is not quite there.
This thread has lost me. Surely it would be better to post a save and have people try different options for 10 turns and discuss and agree which one is best them move on to the next 10.

I'm really enjoying this. Lots of good insight, and I appreciate people sharing. But I second the share the Start and compare 10 Turn increments suggestion; Turn by Turn is going to get too cluttered to make best use of the information.

one of the less appreciated points is that after T100 ish you civ is at the stage that each mistake only has a small impact.
At t1-50 each decision has a very big impact
After 10 turns you may have made 5 decisions, and that’s fine
Between turns 30 and 40 how many decisions do you make.
For someone wanting to learn you should be watching the thread not doing it.
The trouble is whoever does the thread would probably do some things wrong and get criticism.
Just not sure it is the best way to learn.

An SV is probably the most complex victory planning wise so is a great one to learn on.
But I think it is about learning things in layers and especially learning the generically good moves in the first 50 turns. I am not sure wandering from base like this game is safe but if you are willing to restart then it is an approach to take.

What you really want your warrior to do is make your city safe, get era point and eurekas. By far the best thing to do to get all 3 is find a barb camp ASAP and to ensure your city is safe it is about checking around your city first. If you want to scout, build a scout, that’s what I do, but I also use that scout to try and get my warrior fed and ensure my city is safe. It helps my plan out my future cities because a Coliseum is useful and that needs packed cities.
Many who are really good players would always start slinger and animal husbandry. They are after a very early attack on a civ. it’s another strategy that also works well and there are other openings.
It is a question of how you play but walking your warrior away in a straight line is seriously asking for trouble and just lost any interest in the game. The fact that there were so many other decisions in this first 10 moves means you really need to start thinking about them one at a time.

I found playing a few games to Feudalism is a really good if you try and get Feudalism earlier as the challenge. For example, in the latest GOTM I got to Feudalism around T74. Can you? I think I could have pushed it to around T60 but compromised. Also getting to feudalism at T74 is fine but I also have 8 settlers out on that map (6 cities 2 settlers on the move). Also consider what is worth helping and what was crazy to do even though it got you there faster. I choose Feudalism as it is a very good point in the game to be aware of when you start a game. An early knight rush is still incredibly powerful, add 3-5 turns to Feudalism to get a knight rush with general. Chopping at Feudalism is strong because of builder charges and Feudalism is also the point farm triangles start kicking your population. This exercise would make you appreciate the value of culture and inspirations, choosing good and bad ones. How can you get culture, what is the effect of monuments on city growth and production.

Just my recommendation, I would retire this thread, yes.

Last edited:
That seems a little extreme, V. Yeah, I would put some Hammers toward getting my military strength up to China-deterrent levels and waves of Red might show up any minute now. But since Barbs can't raze your capital minimal risk so far although it might make it difficult to get a Settler out.

Other than that, I agree with all your points. I just can't get my Feudalism game back on track since the last patch, honestly the patch before that. Help me, Obi-Wan, you're my only hope!

Yes they can. I have lost my capital on deity twice to barbs.

Really? Huh. I've had them swarm the heck out of me but never manage to finish the job even when it looked like I was completely wrecked. I've definitely had Barbs obliterate my expansion cities.

Similar to Velvet glove, I will frequently send my starting unit wandering o'er the hills. Meanwhile I'm cranking out a deterrent & scouting force back home. There's too much Era Score, Gold and Eurekas in Barb Camps, so much that my game is usually stunted if I don't have 1-2 nearby, so I want something to go hunting with.

I would really like to see how this game pans out. Velvet glove is doing an early Builder start, and I'm curious how it will result.

Top Bottom