Real World

Ok zombie69 (the name really says it all), Im not going to argue with you about american movies, simply because there is no right and wrong. We disagree that is that. Fine, no big deal. Now I will point out your foolishness on other things that can be shown wrong through fact

I'm not bashing the USA though

But saying our constituion is a joke and our movies are dumb...oh no, thats not bashing. Riiiiiiiiiight.

In fact, we have the opposite problem of yours. Your constitution is too easy to change, and ours is too hard to change

Completely wrong. Do you have any idea how the constitution is changed? Clearly not. Like I said earlier, the constitution hasnt been changed since 1992. Its been changed less then 30 times in over 200 years. It takes 2/3 of the house of representatives AND 2/3 vote from the Senate AND the president to sign it in (and not veto it). I fail to see how any of that is "easy"

Dont makes comments on things you dont know about.

Keep living in your dream world! Your governement monitors conversations on the phone and the internet. As soon as you say bomb, they record it and keep it on file. Free speech in America is nothing but an illusion.

Your remarks have NOTHING to do with freedom of speech. This would deal with RIGHT TO PRIVACY. Our government has always monitored conversations on the phone and the internet. Since 9/11, this has increased, yes...but it had been going on long before. The government, in issues of national defense, can and does look into things. They have the responsibiliy to protect its citizens.

As for Free speech, there has never ever been 100% freedom of speech. Ever. Threatening the president is a crime. Libel and Slander are crimes. Of course, there are other laws. But to say free speech in America is an illusion is foolish. Every day, every part of my government gets ripped apart on the radio, tv, and newspapers. And the government does nothing to them. Thats freedom of speech.

If you need some more lessons on American government, I'll be happy to help. But do yourself a favor and try knowing all the facts before you open your mouth, eh?

Usa Usa Usa!

And whoever said Chicago doesn't have much culture surely must not have spent a great deal of time in my beloved city.

Why do other countries hate the USA?
I think it is because we are so much more powerful than them. Compare the USA and the rest of the world to Athens and Sparta before the Peloponnesian War.

jar2574 said:
My second favorite post. :lol: Yes, the creation of Isreal was certainly a much bigger blunder than WWI and WWII. Clearly. :crazyeye:

True, those were some pretty bad moves. They just don't stike me as stuff that i'd call "blunders".

Mr. Civtastic said:
But saying our constituion is a joke and our movies are dumb...oh no, thats not bashing. Riiiiiiiiiight.

Our movies are even worse and our constitution is equally bad. So what, i'm bashing my own country now? Pointing out flaws is not bashing. Pointing out flaws is necessary in order to improve.

Mr. Civtastic said:
Completely wrong. Do you have any idea how the constitution is changed? Clearly not. Like I said earlier, the constitution hasnt been changed since 1992. Its been changed less then 30 times in over 200 years. It takes 2/3 of the house of representatives AND 2/3 vote from the Senate AND the president to sign it in (and not veto it). I fail to see how any of that is "easy"

The simple fact that it's been changed 30 times proves that it's pretty easy to do. The fact is, if you can e.g. get enough Republicans elected, than you can make abortions illegal and the death sentence legal. Oh wait, you already have that.

I love the snippet in The Simpsons when Itchy & Scratchy was canceled for being too violent and Bart and Lisa were forced to watch instead a cartoon explaining how to change the constitution. That little cartoon was hilarious.

As for freedom of speech, i'm not saying there isn't any in the USA. Surely there's more freedom of speech there than in China for instance. However, i am saying that MANY countries in Europe have more freedom of speech than you do, and declaring yourself the champions of freedom is an illusion. Besides, whatever freedom you do have is gained on the backs of the people you exploit in other countries. For example, oppressing the people of Saudi Arabia by protecting the royalty against their own people with your military in exchange for cheap oil. Or the countless many other dictators that the USA have put in power in smaller countries for their own benefit. This doesn't improve freedom around the world.

Of course, you're not the only ones to ever do this. USSR, and now Russia, employs the same tactics in its own sphere of influence. Doesn't make it right though.

hoplite505 said:
Why do other countries hate the USA?
I think it is because we are so much more powerful than them.

People are irritated by you because of arrogant statements like this. Just irritated though.

People hate you because you install dictators around the world for your own benefit. Your country is the single biggest obstacle to democracy around the world right now.

You probably don't know about this because it's not in the interest of the USA to tell you about it. Elsewhere, their is no interest in hiding such facts, so we know about them. In the USA, the media would rather continue the propaganda with statements such as the one you posted.

Don't let me deter you haters from the "LOL AMERIKKKA" rants. I'm actually enjoying them. Jealousy is a powerful emotion.

Zombie69 said:
The simply fact that it's been changed 30 times proves that it's pretty easy to do.

30 changes in over 200 years makes it "easy"? And you'd still call it "easy" after another poster pointed out how long and difficult the process is. I guess your idea of "easy", like your idea of "blunders" is just much different than most peoples'.

Zombie69 said:
The fact is, if you can e.g. get enough Republicans elected, than you can make abortions illegal and the death sentence legal. Oh wait, you already have that.

You actually think that abortion in the USA is illegal? Can I come visit your cave sometime?

Zombie69 said:
As for freedom of speech, i'm not saying there isn't any in the USA. Surely there's more freedom of speech there than in China for instance. However, i am saying that MANY countries in Europe have more freedom of speech than you do, and declaring yourself the champions of freedom is an illusion. .

American free speech laws are generally more liberal than free speech laws in Europe. It is much harder to convict someone for libel or slander in the USA than it is in Europe. And in the USA prior government restraints on press freedom are forbidden except in cases of nuclear secrets and troop movements. Before you start ranting about how these exceptions are abused, consider the recent Washington Post article about detention centers in Eastern Europe. Or don't, and continue confusing free speech issues with privacy issues. Whatever.

Zombie69 said:
Besides, whatever freedom you do have is gained on the back of the people you exploit in other countries. For example, oppressing the people of Saudi Arabia by protecting the royalty against their own people with your military in exchange for cheap oil. Or the countless many other dictators that the USA have put in power in smaller countries for their own benefit. This doesn't improve freedom around the world.

Of course, you're not the only ones to ever do this. USSR, and now Russia, employs the same tactics in its own sphere of influence. Doesn't make it right though.

You must be ashamed that your country allies itself with such a monster, and that your freedom is only gained on the back of the people you've exploited through your unholy alliance with the USA. :rolleyes:

Talk about propoganda...

well England would have won a domination victory 100 years ago and if you say technically it was the british empire then

capital was London

what say did the Scots and Irish have in the formation of the British empire.

pauses to think*

none they got invaded by the english

the only reason it was called the british empire was to try and get the conquered people of the british isles to be patriotic towards the nation that had conquered them

on another point as far as i know the only people that go into macdonalds in england are chavs. hardly the cultural victory you're looking for!

Sisonpyh said:
Don't let me deter you haters from the "LOL AMERIKKKA" rants. I'm actually enjoying them. Jealousy is a powerful emotion.

You know what, if i were jealous, it would be pretty easy to move there. It's only a couple hours ride, and getting a job there wouldn't be any harder than getting one here. As it turns out, i'll refuse ANY job that involves moving to the USA.

There's probably a reason for that, eh?

Zombie69 said:
You know what, if i were jealous, it would be pretty easy to move there. It's only a couple hours ride, and getting a job there wouldn't be any harder than getting one here. As it turns out, i'll refuse ANY job that involves moving to the USA.

You'd get picked on at work? ;)

jar2574 said:
You actually think that abortion in the USA is illegal? Can I come visit your cave sometime?

No i don't. That statement was in reference to the second point only. Sorry i didn't make it clear.

jar2574 said:
You must be ashamed that your country allies itself with such a monster, and that your freedom is only gained on the back of the people you've exploited through your unholy alliance with the USA. :rolleyes:

I'm proud that my country doesn't ally itself anymore with the USA, didn't go to war in Iraq and openly criticized it, and that my Prime Minister has the guts to tell the US off, something we didn't do before because we were too scared.

Zombie69 said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

jar2574 said:
You'd get picked on at work? ;)

And why is that? Assuming i'm just jealous, then i want to be just like you, right? Then when i move to the USA, i'll be just like any American. They won't even be able to tell that i'm Canadian. Heck, after a while, i won't even really be Canadian anymore!

Your argument is seriously flawed.

You think people commit suicide bombings against you because they're jealous of you? Yeah right. If you're jealous of your neighbour's lawn, does that make you want to destroy it in a suicide mission? If your neighbour is keeping your wife and children in chains in his basement and the only way to free them is to suicide bomb his house, would you then be more likely to do so? Don't you think that's a much more reasonable explanation?

Zombie69 said:
You think people commit suicide bombings against you because they're jealous of you? Yeah right. If you're jealous of your neighbour's lawn, does that make you want to destroy it in a suicide mission? If your neighbour is keeping your wife and children in chains in his basement and the only way to free them is to suicide bomb his house, would you then be more likely to do so? Don't you think that's a much more reasonable explanation?

Right, nobody has ever been murdered over jealousy. :rolleyes:

In any case, you sure like talking about a country that you don't even live in.

Yeah, someone please close this thread. Some people are obviously just posting to flame bait me. After the 10th bait, it becomes pretty hard not to bite. So please, would a moderator just close this? It's become pretty pointless anyway since one side obviously isn't interested in having intelligent discussions.

Zombie69 said:
No i don't. That statement was in reference to the second point only. Sorry i didn't make it clear.

Well in America we've had the death penalty from the start. So I don't know how your argument that the constitution is "easy" to change is bolstered by pointing out that the death penalty exists. But whatever. Maybe you were just expressing your contempt for the death penalty. I don't like it either. I hope that we eventually vote for politicians that don't support it.

Zombie69 said:
I'm proud that my country doesn't ally itself anymore with the USA, didn't go to war in Iraq and openly criticized it, and that my Prime Minister has the guts to tell the US off, something we didn't do before because we were too scared.

Well Canada's economy is directly tied to America's. Our foreign policy has brought economic benefits to your country as well as ours. And I don't see Canada boycotting Saudi oil or calling for removal of all the dictators America installed.

But I thought your Prime Minister showed some balls when he criticized the USA's policy on global warming. That would have made me proud if I was Canadian.

Zombie69 said:
People are irritated by you because of arrogant statements like this.

While I disagree with the most of your statements, in this point you are right. Sometimes its even ridiculous...

To the topic: I think the EU will win a Space Race Victory :mischief: ... soon :lol:

Sisonpyh said:
Right, nobody has ever been murdered over jealousy. :rolleyes:

Murdered yes. Premeditated suicide? Much less likely.

Sisonpyh said:
In any case, you sure like talking about a country that you don't even live in.

Because as someone who doesn't live in the US and therefore doesn't get to vote in your elections, the only way i have to make the world a better place is to post in forums trying to sway a person or two.

It's not like i enjoy this.

Top Bottom