Rebellions

Couldn't find this in any other thread - does anyone have a detailed guide for what causes the rebellion events (when cities try to declare independence) and what influences the % chances. I've had problems with this in a couple of games so far.

Firstly as Venice I got a bit overeager and conquered Milan, Naples, Constantinople, Mistra, Athens and Thessalonica. Was still just about stable (+5/6 most turns). Then as soon as I tried to settle the city near the Africa AA I immediately started having rebellion events - the new city rebelled pretty much every turn and then all of Greece rebelled. Even when I recaptured the African city it rebelled all the time, making it damn near impossible to get the AA - every time it rebelled I lost all the colonial hammers so that was a complete game breaker.

Then as France I decided to be a bit more careful with my stability and expansion. I stayed very solid (above 15) for pretty much the entire game, Manor Houses, Courthouses and Castles in every city, limited expansion and only Barcelona and a couple of German cities outside my core. But as soon as the crusade happened (around 1060AD), I capture Jerusalem and Tyre and it all started going wrong. Yet again, pretty much every four or five turns one of Barcelona or Jerusalem tries to declare independence. It's like my stability and number of troops just doesn't matter - no matter how many units are in the cities, what my stability is and how much money I have I have to choose the bottom option ("do all of this") just to have a 55% chance of stopping the rebellion. And it never works - the city always goes into rebellion with a stack of barb units outside it no matter what. I understand the importance of the rebellions for punishing people if they expand too much and become unstable, but I am completely stable in the French game so it's like the stability mechanism, which I always thought was supposed to be important in this game, is just ignored.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening, or at least reduce the annoying regularity it happens at? I've tried everything - filling the cities with troops, building up a massive treasury, running a golden age to get stability over 30, but nothing seems to work. It honestly gives the impression that the game as a whole is broken when there is no way to avoid stuff like that. Any advice on the mechanics that cause these constant rebellions would be much appreciated :)

As Venice I usually take another city for AA as the African one is too troublesome. I like to target the AA near Portugal instead, as in most of my games they are weak enough to crush quickly.

Top Bottom