Red Sands - Mongolia's Struggle for Survival!

Yes, if you can sue peace.

You have too few cities, too far away.

How it is possible that the Russians have rifles and the same time you arebuilding spearmen?

My God. This reminds me of Quintillius in Wrath of the AI when he was dealing with the Talented.

Speaking of which, will we ever see that mod for ourselves, Quintillius?

The city falls... and Russian troops quickly move south. Things are not looking good for the Mongolians.

"Sir, we've lost Erdenet. And the Russians are now moving on Dalandzadgad."

"Must be a mistake. We didn't lose a city. Tell the troops at Erdenet to push into Russian lands."

"At once great one."

Meanwhile, we discover Feudalism. Oh joy.

The year comes to end...

"Son, I warned you... we cannot afford to anger the Russians at this time. Now we must pay for peace with gold, when we could have just given them gems."

"Mongolia does not give in to demands!"

But peace is made with Russia...

End Chapter III

Chapter IV - The Chrysanthemum

"Ashmeht, Donzeg, to me."

"What would you have of me, your highness?"

"Losing Edernet has greatly weakened us, and strengthened our most dangerous competitor. We must alter our strategy."
"I am building our forces as quickly as I can, your highness."
"I am sure. And our recent war with our northern friends has proven that we cannot train troops quickly enough. The Russian fist is too massive. We need another approach."

"What might that approach be your highness?"

"It is two-fold. The first thing we must do is secure our survival. Russia could fall upon us like a blizzard from the north, burying the Mongolian sands beneath her snows. We need to settle cities far from here. Build ships Donzeg, and send our settlers to far away places. That will secure our future."

"And what of matters here? Do you mean to surrender our homeland to the Russians?"

"Don't be a fool. Have you not heard of the desert chrysanthemum? A most robust flower, able to survive in the harshest of conditions. Cut one petal off, and two grow to take its place."
"I don't follow."
"She means build more cities, Ashmeht."

"Finely deduced Donzeg. Yes, we will build more cities. As close to Russian lands as we can. Let them throw their troops against these cities, preserving the heart of Mongolia."

"Very well your highness. It shall be done."
"With expediency, I trust."
"Of course, your highness."
"And Ashmeht?"
"Yes?"
"Find us a civilization to conquer."

50ad

Russian might has increased in the West.

There is very little of Persia left to conquer. A Mongolian settler makes his way westward, but a new Russian city interferes with our plans to build a city.

"Build it anyway."

"Yes your highness."

In 110ad Mongolia completes the Priory of Sion, a small wonder that produces Crusaders every 7 turns.

We also settle another city, and plot the location of a third:

But then the Russians endanger our plans...

"Ill tidings great one!"

"Don't see the issue here. Let the Russians do as they will to the Chinese. I never cared for China anyways."

"Alright! Who's bright idea was this! Ashmeht!"

"It wasn't me great one! Our locked alliance with China forced our hand!"
"May the desert sands burn your toes!"

170ad

It is still the calm before the storm. A heavy Russian advance is expected. Our emissaries trade for maps:

"Well done. Let us see what else trade can accomplish."

In 190ad we further our knowledge of the world, and also gain Chivalry through trade. We also found another city:

Meanwhile, at Tsetserleg, our first galley is off to uncharted corners of the world with a settler:

In 210ad, our 4th new city is founded, one that will be used for troop production:

The civilizations we know of:

210ad cont.

"Mighty one! Russian troops are attacking! Ereen and Baruun-Urt are under assault!"

"Go on the offensive! Push the Russian troops north!"

"Abandon Ereen. We cannot afford to have the Russians take it. Pull our troops back to Darhan."

"As you wish my queen."

Ereen is abandoned, and the Russian troops quickly move further south into the Mongolian heartland!

230ad

"What news from the front? Have the Russians retreated yet?"

"They are not going to retreat my son. We must abandon those cities the Russians are sure to take, and fortify those we cannot afford to lose. Now is the time for humility and patience."

"What? Humility? I will not listen to this!"

"Stop being a fool! We can rebuild the cities that are abandoned. We cannot retake a city the Russians conquer. Not yet."
"I don't like it. No no no."
"Patience Temujin. Patience. Our time will come."
"Fine. But I want a new pony."

Baruun-Urt is abandoned as well:

Woe! The gods have forsaken the Mongolians!

We manage to get Printing Press from the Arabians. At this point, the Mongolians have met every civilization in the world.

And the Mongolian map of the world:

The red is obviously Russia. Yellow is Spain, blue is Netherlands, and the orange is the Byzantines. India is the purple. Wink wink... hellooooo India. ;)

Mongolia has a galley heading south towards the Byzantines.

250ad

"Sire, Russian cavalry approaches Darhan. The city is poorly defended sir."

Russian troops attack retreating Mongolian forces in the mountains, and utterly destroy them.

"What the hey? Send troops into Russian lands. We need a feint."

"Oh, great idea there."

"Do as my son commands Ashmet. He is a fool about many things, but he is wise in the ways of war."

The mighty Mongolian army advances into Russian lands south of Bryansk:

But then China makes peace with the Ottomans. Fitting, since those jerks got us into the war in the first place.

260ad

Finally the first Mongolian Army is finished! It is named...

The 1st Mongolian Army! :D

"Donzeg, rebuild our lost cities at once! Extend our borders!"

"At once great one!"

In 280 our first replacement city is settled, this time a bit further away from the Russians, but still on a mountain:

A cavalryman is promoted to General for his services during the last war with Russia:

"I serve and obey!"

General Ogodei is given command over the 1st Mongolian Army.

290ad

India declares war on Siam!

"Let the Siamese weaken them. Ogodei, prepare for war! We will swallow the Indians like the fox swallows the egg!"

"Hyaih!!!"

In 300 we trade maps with Siam, and see a bit more of the land to our south:

Meanwhile, our little galley is approaching Byzantine territory. If we can settle on a one tile island, our future is secure!

Unfortunately, it is at this point in time that the sinister Byzantines declare war on us! Blasted Theodora! Never trust a woman who's father was a bear tamer!

310ad

"Great one! More replacement cities founded!"

"Excellent. Good work. Have a hot pocket!"

However, after studying our new maps, it appears that there may not be much left of India to conquer if Ogodei does not act soon!

In 320 we discover Gunpowder, and trade for Education with the Arabians. Our little galley braves Byzantine waters... .

320 cont.

"Ogodei, how do our forces look?"

"We are amassing our troops at two points, m'lady. Most of our offense is to the north, where we can strike at Delhi quickly. But the Netherlands has shown us Longbowmen at Nakhon Si, just east of Delhi, and there is a mountain pass there that we must guard carefully - we have Iron that sits on that border."

"Very well. Let my son know when you feel we have enough troops to begin an invasion."

"Yes my queen."

We trade Gunpowder to Arabia for Education, and we then make peace with Spain. In 350 the Russians are back with another demand, and Mongolia gives in.

380 and the chrysanthemum continues to grow.

"Mighty lord, I have ordered a settler to build a defensive city near Nakhon Si to protect our iron mines."

"Well done Ogodei."

*the War Elephants you see here are Siamese, not Indian. They are special units for both civs. I also see Musketeers in the pic, and I'm wondering if I gave *them* to Siam as well - accidently.

Thanks to our peace treaty with Spain (and thus the Byzantines) our galley made it through the treacherous Byzantine waters, and our settler has disembarked on an island:

However, a Dutch ship is sighted.

The trip to that island was extremely dangerous. The Russians have a navy that matches the size of their land forces, and it was a miracle I made it past Japan. I'm not sure I could get another galley down there, not with Russian, Byzantine, Dutch, and English ships flying around everywhere. Maybe not having ocean travel has helped, as their ships are possibly off in deeper waters.

The next turn...

"Woody hoo! Great one, I have just settled Nalayh on an island! Our future is secure!"

The Mongolians celebrate wildly!

"Everyday I'm shufflin!"

"Its *my* party, and I'll cry if I want to."

"Mighty one, Russian troops everwhere! What should we do?"

"Let me sweep them North!"

"Hold your ground."

Some Mongolian cavalry comes down from the north and takes out the Russian Cossack that had penetrated to our capital. The Russians to the east head into Chinese lands, and the Chinese launch a counter assault. For the moment, no Mongolian cities are in jeapardy. The Russians appear to be retreating...

We enter a Golden Age!!!

:band:

Top Bottom