1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Release candidate 2.8.2.0 - testers needed

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

So when I play I like tweaking things a bit to fit my liking. In 2821 I made a new (xml) unit class to have a non-replacement "man-o-war" unit. Worked fine in 2821, and all XMLs I edited haven't changed from 2821 to 2822. However, in 2822 I now get a "DLL hardcoding error: NUM_UNITCLASS_TYPES" "Use a non-hardcoded DLL or recompile the DLL to match your new XML setting." Also getting the same error for "NUM_UNIT_TYPES".

I'd also argue not hardcoding things such as number of unit classes would be a standard submod-friendly thing.

Weird thing is it shows up fine in the colopedia, both the new unit and the black bear (last entry in both files) is showing up too. First entries are showing up too (criminal & colonist). Is this new error of no consequence?

On a different topic I rebalanced all ships to be historically accurate, since vanilla's ship balancing is rather nonsensical imo, is there any community interest in uploading one's tweaks?

2. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I added a dynamic DLL (non-hardcoded) to the release. Same download location. Hardcoding is a new optional feature, which can be used to assist the compiler to optimize better. It will not make a huge difference right now, but I used it anyway because a test build is supposed to get people to test stuff, in this case what will happen if users get a hardcoded version. Will anything work differently? My goal was that nobody would notice because I assumed nobody would alter the xml files of a pre-release test build. I guess I was wrong on that account, but at least it seems other than the expected xml issues, nothing has gone wrong. I call that a success.

Hardcoding xml values is also really beneficial while debugging because hardcoded values will display the name rather than index in the debugger. This is however unrelated to released versions as nobody will debug the release DLLs.

It's because a lot of the code is not exploiting the benefits of hardcoding yet. Some internal stuff like lists of units (EnumMap) will use the hardcoded value.

There is always community interest in any feedback, particularly from people, who are willing to modify files.

Vaeringjar likes this.
  3. Tugboatspotter

Tugboatspotter Warlord

I am seeing a lot more units learn a profession from native settlements in one turn than I remember in previous versions. I think it might even be instant ie zero turns. How does the logic work? does the type of unit matter? anyway, It doesn't seem right.

I'm not using the only 1 learning at a time option.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  4. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Savegame please. I just tested it and I see no signs of one turn learning.

5. Taurus

Taurus Chieftain

Ver. 2.8.2.2:
    Domestic advisor/buildings: is this one a bit bugged?

I miss column for Town Hall buildings, on the other hand there are twice "tools" and "stockade" columns.

6. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Yeah there is an issue. However nobody touched the code for that screen for as long back as the log goes (mid 2017). No idea when or how it broke, but I suppose it's the excuse I need to rewrite the page to use the new system.

AbsintheRed likes this.
  7. Taurus

Taurus Chieftain

Would be good to open issue on GitHub(WTP) for that?

8. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

In general yes, but in this case not really. The thing is that I'm already working on it. No ETA because I'm not rushing it. Instead I'm making reusable code, which does everything we want automatically. Ask the DLL for a list of buildings or yields and it should add the columns matching that list. Using fixed width columns (in pixels), higher resolutions will have more columns on each page, but less pages in multi page setups (yeah ultra wide resolution support). Since it's a list, creating a list of a subset becomes trivial. Think the domestic market screen.

It might take a while to make the first page using this system, but once there is one working, the remaining pages will be sort of trivial because they become copy paste the file and alter a few things like what to write in each cell. All the complex stuff like table setup and spacing is handled automatically in a shared file.

I had planned this for a while, but redoing the code to display the very same thing just wasn't worth the time compared to other tasks. Now that I had to look into a bug anyway, rewriting and replacing the buggy code without locating the bug makes it better value for the time spent.

9. rap33042

rap33042 Chieftain

A few weeks ago, I downloaded the new DLL (2.8..2.1) and replaced the old DLL with it. The game would no longer run so I reverted to the old DLL. I haven't tried it since.
    Maybe I did something wrong?
    Richard

10. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon King Supporter

numbers/rounding

Screen shown when mouse over Carpenter on Sawmill:
    1 Carpenter produces 10 hammers +10% bonus (Health) = 11 hammers. Expected number when 2 Carpenters are working 2X 11 = 22.
    Number shown instead: 21

Spoiler :

upload_2020-12-30_11-6-24.png

When I change to the production popup of the sawmill instead
    it does not simply add up the numbers of the single carpenters but starts calculating from the start
    Carpenter 10 + Carpenter 10 = 20 + city bonus1 = 21 and displays that, seemingly too low number.
    Then adds 10%city health and comes to 23 in the production popup - but below the sawmill still 21 are displayed.
    My expectation would be that the total of the production popup should be identical to the number in green below the sawmill, being the final result of all boni and mali.

Spoiler :

upload_2020-12-30_11-9-39.png

11. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

So I'm on a borderline potato laptop at the moment, and the method I'm using for internal trade routes, with my current 20 settlements, takes over 20 seconds to load the "Assign transport routes" interface, and I assume it grows exponentially with more import/export orders. Would it be possible to, when entering the interface from a transport which is in an owned settlement, to default both "export" and "import" filter to the current settlement? (then the player just has to change at least one of the 2 filters) I imagine something of this sort could reduce that load time a whole lot?

12. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

So this just happened, I certainly have enough gold but the Archbishop's accountant disagrees?

Attached Files:

13. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

On a different topic, my capital of 80 pops's growth is being bottlenecked by happiness, it might be immersive & happiness-boosting to have gems/gold/silver added to the internal market, for pops such as the bishop, governor and famous nobleman. It takes a long time to get all resources demanded by the internal market, this one still missing 4, so something like gems could help a bit.

14. lethiel

lethiel Streaming Col at https://www.twitch.tv/lethiel01

I like the direction of this proposal. Ideally gold and silver could be used to produce jewelry or luxury goods.

A presumably easy to implement and imo very atmospheric feature along these lines would be too have coca be demanded for slaves to reduce their negative effect on happiness.

Mr. ZorG likes this.
  15. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

For less micro-ing with smugglers I'd suggest duplicating the unit, making the new one 3 times as expensive and carry 3 times the cargo, and have the model be 3 ships instead of 1. Last point being the only thing idk how to do ^_^. If someone knows how to I might play around with it and for other ship types too.

16. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Oh yeah, producing luxury goods would be great, forgot about that one. Maybe at the blacksmith, if producing from silver/gold.

lethiel likes this.
  17. lethiel

lethiel Streaming Col at https://www.twitch.tv/lethiel01

Oh yeah using the blacksmith is brilliant with the high opportunity cost of occupying tools production..Only available from ironwork and up since it requires a well developed colonial economy.
    2 silver + 1 gold -> 5 luxury goods

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    HobyMorgan and Vaeringjar like this.
  18. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Known issue. The game does all calculations in ints (whole numbers) as this makes network sync easier/possible. However it introduces rounding errors. 1 +50% +50% = 1 while 1 + 100% = 2. I have talked about switching to fixed point calculations instead, but so far nothing has happened.

Vanilla has two functions: one for the display and one for the actual changes. That's a poor design because they can go out of sync. While merging those two is possible, it's not a 5 minute job to do so.

It could be. I would like the savegame where it is that slow because it sound like a good one for testing performance issues. Changing something related to performance requires something good to test on to tell if the changes makes a difference. Certain types of performance boosting can even backfire and make the game slower, which is why testing is important.

Once again the answers for the diplo screen are calculated during the AI turn and it's outdated when it shows up. Most likely you had a ship arriving in Europe, which then sold lots of stuff and made a fortune, but the answer to pay has already been rejected.

Due to how vanilla works and how that specific screen is unmodable, fixing this is far from trivial.

It also means losing 3 times as much to pirates whenever something goes wrong. I think it would be more interesting to make some sort of fixed selection groups (not as easy to break up by accident), which then "merge" to act as one unit for management purposes, but still acts as individual units in combat or movement. If cargo slots are merged too, then 3 units with 2 slots each could be managed as one "unit" with 6 slots.

I do agree that many small units can turn into micro management hell and that while some players want that, there are a number who doesn't. The solution is however not always as simple as it seems at first glance.

Not technically possible to set up in xml right now. It is technically possible to fully mod this part of the code, but it's not an overnight job to do so.

The problem is that the profession lists input and output while the building lists the numbers. This makes it a 1:1 setup. To change this, the entire setup system needs a rethink and it's possible we need a new setup for every single profession and building.

Having said that it would be great to be able to control this better. Actually thinking about it now gives me ideas. Not that anybody will start working on it or that it's decided to do it, but I'm thinking about this.

Vaeringjar likes this.
  19. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Alright, it seems to vary a bit, last time was ~14 seconds. This game is gonna go on for a while so I'll try to get it as bad as I can before sending it.

C2C mod has unit merging and un-merging. I imagine they're technically different units in XML that get swapped between, so the XML work would still be needed. I wouldn't mind trying it myself, if you happen to know how to edit the number of models rendered for a unit?
    A player could always just liquidate ships they don't want and buy/build the multi-ship variant. Pirates aren't such a big deal that a player can't deal with it.

I had wondered why a cannon and a musket took the same work to produce in-game lol.
    I suppose different jobs of X silver/gold/gems -> X luxury goods at 1:1 would then be the simpler implementation

20. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Prince

by the way, another option for desynchronization in multiplayer.