1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Release candidate 2.8.2.0 - testers needed

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Nightinggale, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

Are you sure? The int rounding issue is there precisely because the "real" solution would be using floats/doubles, but doing that means unpredictable rounding errors, which might cause desyncs. Using int rounding errors is worse for gameplay, but at least the rounding errors are certain to be 100% identical on all computers, hence not a cause of desyncs.

devolution and raystuttgart like this.
  2. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Prince

I remembered a game where before desynchronization I had 100 gold, and after it and loading - 95 gold (conditionally). I talked about it in the chat.

3. Tugboatspotter

Tugboatspotter Warlord

Try moving converted native one plot east and learn from natives.

Attached Files:

4. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Bonuses to market buildings don't apply to the statue of the governor.

An "Export all goods" button would be useful. I assume automated export only works for automated transports and not for manually configured ones, right?

The +2 food option at the start of the game seems to only apply on the city tile, meaning that somehow a settlement on desert or such with 0 food gets absolutely no food bonus from it.

Trade goods rocket in price through the game, while they represent misc goods produced in Europe, which got produced in greater amounts and became cheaper through time. So the price should at minimum not increase at all.

Native traders seem overpowered.

Customs house UI text cuts off the city name at the end. Having a button to disable all selling would be great.

In my current game I have 31 settlements thus far, and the button to send a ship back from Europe/Africa/PR takes over 15 seconds to load. Having an alternate button to send to capital, or being able to toggle beacons on every settlement, or "simply" not having to reload the whole city list, or if relevant not loading the 3D porthole of the cities...

5. rap33042

rap33042 Chieftain

What?!!! How do you do that?!
    First off, I'd be crazy trying to manage it all.
    Second, the Indians get mad at me after paying them for some land and settling a second colony (the border expansion is seen as stealing their land). I send missionaries and traders. I trade goods with them. Nothing seems to work to make them stop sending raiding parties. I accept the Founding Fathers that improve relations with the natives. That usually helps for a while, but their demeanor gets worse again over time. I am playing on the easiest level with no European rivals (I wanted to learn the game without distractions).

30+ settlements?!!! How do you do that?!!!

6. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I will take a look at this.

Now that you mention it, when I updated the market numbers (xml values instead of hardcoded) I forgot the statue. Luckily being xml values it is fairly easy to correct. It's a single number to add to xml. It's just a question of which one.

It's primarily intended for automated transports. In theory it could be used with manually configured ones too, but you shouldn't use auto export with manually configured transports as I believe an empty colony can make the transport forget the yield even when it shows up again.

Yeah I still want to do a complete rewrite of the transport system. It's not working as well as I would like to see. Either you spend ages setting it up or you automate everything and spam it with the fastest units because the automation isn't good at using many slots. It's a point to point planning with a single type of cargo.

I suspect this problem is ancient. I'm not really sure how it's implemented, but it sounds like it's in a non-ideal way. Perhaps it would be better to make the event add an invisible building as this will make modding easier and not depend on any plot. I can't say this is urgent though because it sounds like it only applies if you build your first colony on a plot without food. I take that is a rare case.

While I agree with the argument, I wonder what it would do to game balance.

Savegame please. It sounds like one of those savegames, which could be useful for a lot of profiling to figure out where the slowdown parts of the code is. The problem with most of that kind of savegames is that they are using the old format and aren't interesting for the currently used code.

Most likely 1 plot radius, but still we are looking at an empire builder.

7. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

There's this one spot on my map where whales are in range of a settlement, would be neat if there was a niche profession to make use of it. Or maybe make fishermen able to do it?

Would disabling weather help performance? An option for it would be neat, I think my semi-potato might like it.

It applies to all colonies built at any time as long as their tile has no inherent food production, such as desert tiles.
    There's a FF that gives +2 food to settlements, I haven't gotten that FF this game so I can't check, but the description implies it works differently?

2 plot radius, my capital has 95 pops. Happiness is maintained by a tiny margin, high bell production, taxes caped at 30%, the happiness FF, and a bunch of national wonders.

I read of the shuttle approach to trade automation... https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/wagon-train-routing-shuttle-based-approach.382590/
    ...but couldn't get it to work in both directions as OP seems to have.
    Still, it's working quite well. I basically got every single settlement set to import and export everything (thus my terrible 20-30s trade UI load times). Things needed for production (larger buffer if net negative) and domestic market have a minimum value set. Then there's a "shuttle" transport connecting each 2 settlements, set to import everything from one and export it to the other. Doing this thus chains settlements together, then converging at a "Hub" (like the capital). This means instead of having to micro every single settlement's trade, I only need to micro a chain itself, with occasional adjustments to minimum values, the rare manually emergency adding or removing mid-chain, sending things back from the "hub" to the first settlement in a chain (like tools or luxuries for the domestic market, which btw could also be automated by assigning a route and setting max value on the target), or upgrading from "wagons" to "treks".
    I have tripled all storage values from buildings though, vanilla is too claustrophobic for me lol.

For natives I've found the easiest solution is to just be a warmonger and wipe out a tribe if/when they start raiding too often. I trade with far away tribes like those near other colonies (sell them guns hehehe), and clear out those near me. It's simple and dumb but makes the game so much easier time-wise.

Think I'm done with this playthrough though, so I'll upload the save as requested for performance tests or such. Feel free to look at the trade setup. Apparently adding units isn't save compatible, so you'll need the included retrofitted XMLs to run it (added a non-replacement first rate /"man-o-war"). I'm finding myself moving onto smaller maps, my 1.5*Huge map size is just way bigger than needed. AIs are also underperforming, I think I'll try to buff their default difficulty or something. Have a look at the hammers graph... 1/3 into the game I got 1st place in score, at which point I probably produced as many or close to all the other 7 colonies combined...
    Am also playing with my tweaks as mentioned. Main things are rebalanced ships and instead of pops/ships having an increasing cost, they're 50% more expensive by default but with no increase, so your growth becomes more exponential, though slower to start. Am doing some re-tweaking right now though.

Attached Files:

8. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I think you should speak your mind in this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/discussion-how-should-trade-routes-work.648488/

Starting with 2.8.2.0 units can be added. That's part of the reason why I rewrote the savegame format. Removing on the other hand can be an issue.

9. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Hmm, I added yet another unit and it crashed when I tried loading the uploaded save, but a new game works fine.
    Anyway, that playthrough used the extra unit mentioned, so the included XMLs are needed for that save.

10. devolution

devolution Prince

The relevant code is in CvEuropeScreen.py (the other ports work the same way)
    From a brief skim through of the code, it appears that getPlotLists is the culprit due to the following reasons:
    - Iterating through all of the map plot will be slow for gigantic maps, even more so due to the inherent inefficiency of the python\DLL interface
    - It's wasteful to build a list of the Europe plots every time the function is called, we may as well cache the list.
    - The function duplicates existing AI logic (see CvUnitAI::AI_bestDestinationPlot and CvUnitAI::findNearbyOceanPlot)

Summary: We should merge the functionality of these functions and move it into the DLL. As a bonus this will allow the AI to make use of the navigation sector feature, which could be rather useful.

Nightinggale and Vaeringjar like this.
  11. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

on the topic of the food bonus issue, I'm a dumb dumb, apparently it only applies to the starting settlement lol

12. Fürstbischof

Fürstbischof Chieftain

When you attack the Pirate Frigate, there are no combat animations. You always win and never take damage. There are also no XP awarded for the fight, but the victory is mentioned in the log. Then end turn and in the next turn another Pirate Frigate has spawned on the same position. You can repeat the battle with the same outcome, but over the next turns no other Pirate Frigate will be spawned.

Attached Files:

13. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

2822, my current game has a end of turn CTD problem, loading as far as 4 turns before still leads to that CTD, didn't bother trying going further back

edit: saving at world builder and starting as scenario doesn't crash, but so much is wiped it's not worth continuing there

EDIT: problem was on my end, messed up a XML like the noob I am

edit: nvm it still CTDs

edit: alright, fixed, my double-clicking broken mouse got a xml line borked

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  14. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

this game I found the pacific before getting the quest, and it won't complete

last game I also did so but it did complete...

edit: does "expansion" age start mess things up?

15. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Hernando de Soto FF, despite providing a conquistador unit, its promotion bonus does not apply to conquistadores

16. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Prince

my Sloop periodically "wakes up" by itself. although I give him the command to "sleep".
    first save - I give him the command to sleep.
    second save - after the start of the next turn, he wakes up himself.
    upload_2021-1-4_16-6-3.png

Attached Files:

17. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

regarding the CTD save I uploaded yesterday, please ignore it, I was a noob problem on my end lol

Edit: nvm I thought I fixed it but did no, carry on

edit: alright, fixed, my double-clicking broken mouse got a xml line borked

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  18. Taurus

Taurus Chieftain

It could be that your ship wakes up because of storm nearby, it's danger for her!
    I can see similar behavior with other ship.

19. Mr. ZorG

Mr. ZorG Prince

another ship does not wake up))

20. Taurus

Taurus Chieftain

I mean I see similar behavior with my ship...