Release For Mac?

I had the game disappear from the Mac section of my Steam library as well. I'm hoping Aspyr meets the deadline or else I'm going to be a sad panda.

It's frustrating - about is posting in the Mac thread on steam but won't answer the most important question! On the bright side, apparently my somewhat below spec machine is "playable", so I'm set when it does come out.

Edit: Well he's said they are "racing towards the finish line" but it's a bit ambiguous if that means EOD Friday, next week, etc.

Last edited:
From the Steam Mac discussion in answer to that question:

I get that you don't want promise anything, but the language you guys use sometimes is extremely leading. When you say "Racing to Finish Line" and "wont be too far behind windows", this gives the illusion and feeling that we can expect it today, tomorrow or this weekend.

My instincts tell me to not get my hopes up and that its a week or more away. (hopefully not :) )

That is precisely what I mean by that language. I'm no community manager (I run Product management), but I am at least trying to be as direct as I can without making a promise. I think the very worst case would be early next week.

That makes it sound like they think they can get it out today/tomorrow, but don't want to say they can't if they might. The only reason to give a release date now would be if it's significantly after the regular release.

They're still doing a lot better than I originally hoped for.
I'll reserve judgment on that until I'm actually playing the game.

It's a vanilla release and needs a bit of touching up, but I expect it will be fun to play, at least and will improve over time.

I don't understand why Aspyr don't say it won't be ready for Windows launch time. It is obvious right now. They don't want to say a release date. OK, but at least they can narrow it down a little bit. Let's hope they are not playing with us to keep the sales going (on the Mac side).

It is incredibly annoying that they wouldn't keep people informed about when the game will actually be ready. The lack of transparency, from my perspective as a consumer who will literally build my entire day around whether Civ comes out tomorrow, is disappointing.

They're still doing a lot better than I originally hoped for.

-Of course, it helps if, like me, you didn't originally hope for much from either Firaxis (original game design and implementation) or Aspyr (Mac Mangling): In these times, it's always good to remember the Pessimist's Creed:

"He who hopes for nothing is never disappointed"

- So I've saved a couple of Mods on Civ V to try out in case I need to keep occupied, say, for another week or two...

They tweeted today that they're going to do a livestream of CiV VI tomorrow, but that this shouldn't be taken as signs that it will release tomorrow and we need to be patient.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....

what the point releasing for mac when 70% of people can't play because of specs. lol jk

I spent 2k+ plus on a lap top 1.5 years ago. requirements say I can't run it. WHAT A JOKE! I hate Tim Cook.

what the point releasing for mac when 70% of people can't play because of specs. lol jk

I spent 2k+ plus on a lap top 1.5 years ago. requirements say I can't run it. WHAT A JOKE! I hate Tim Cook.

From the steam thread, it seems like their specs are set more for "optimum" performance. I.e. I have one of the MacBook pros with a Iris 6100 video card (less than spec), and he basically told someone with it was playable but stick to graphic defaults or lower (and I probably won't be playing any huge maps to the end). I'd check out the Mac Info thread in the steam game discussion to get a better handle on how well your laptop might handle it.

To add to the confusion, I still don't see it in the Mac section, but my store page has gone back to it saying it's released tomorrow (17 hours from now).

*fingers crossed*

Aspyr has also put more Civ stuff on their social media as of like a half hour ago. Clearly they're trying to get their Mac users hyped

Now it's back to Oct. 20 and it says approximately 3 hours. :lol:

Top Bottom