religion victory without founding a religion

napoleon_beta

Chieftain
Is founding a religion a prerequisite of religion victory?

If I grab someone else's holy city of a religion and spread that religion around like my own, does it still count as "my" religion?

Also, am I missing something or the 2nd bullet point below is entirely redundant (is it possible to have first one true but not the 2nd)?
A city is officially following a Religion if:
  • More than half the citizens in a city are Followers of a particular Religion; and
  • That Religion has the majority of Followers in the city.
Thanks.

By that, she meant "no, you aren't missing anything" by thinking that the second bullet is redundant.

So no, you cannot win a religious victory without founding a religion, which also means Kongo can never win a religious victory.

Related question: Is it possible to LOSE to an eliminated player via Religious Victory? Hypothetically, I miss founding a religion but CIvA, who is my neighbor founds one. He spreads the religion to me and I kill him. To gain the benefits of the religion, I spread it to all my cities. If that religion becomes the dominant religion of all civs, does the defeated player win the game?

• More than half the citizens in a city are Followers of a particular Religion; and
  • That Religion has the majority of Followers in the city.
The problem lies with the first statement.
I think its intent is to be "at least half the citizens in a city must follow a religion".
This would then compliment the second statement, and fully explain the rules.

That was my guess too about the first statement.

But this interpretation would've lower the requirements of "dominance" from hard 50% of the citizens to possibly 25% of the citizens.

As far as losing to an eliminated player. I haven't tried but the religion victory screen only lists active players in the game and I'm suspicious an eliminated player wouldn't be checked for victory. I'm not sure if you could liberate a city of an eliminated player and cause an insta-win.

Top Bottom