Removing Globel Warming?

HeWhoAtePie

Chieftain
Can I remove this mechanic by deleting a portion of the code? It's getting annoying that half my continent turns to desert because of a war I wasn't even involved in!

If you don't mind, I'd like to laugh.

But seriously, It's an integral part of the game, and unless you had next to no military ( Which brings the point of why you didn't get wiped out ) you could have prevented it.

Sometimes Civ IV things piss me off too..But after realizing your mistakes and playing through again, you realize that everything is fine the way it is.

There is a couple of ways to cure this problem.

1. you can edit the Ini file just find the line that relates to Global warning and change it from the default value of 20 (I think) and reduce it the closer to 0 the value the less chance it will occur.

You search for the exact details and change method etc on the forum as I cannot remember. I agree with you on this issue especially if the AI throws :nuke::nuke: around and then all the land suffers.

2. There is also a couple of mods that cover this and instead of turning to dust bowls there get something similar to fall-out that can be cleaned up.

The mod I use for all these issues is from Wolfshanze which seems to settle all these and gives a few other game ++ features. Again search for his Mod Naval up-grades 1850-1920.

Copy the file GlobalDefines.XML to your Custom Assets folder.

Open the copy (NOT the original) in notepad, find the line GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB, change the 20 on the next line to 0. Save the file. No more global warming.

Global warming is not real therefor it should not be in the game! IMO!

;)

Global warming is not real therefor it should not be in the game! IMO!

;)

Neither is :spear:.

:rolleyes:

While the truth behind GW is something for another thread, I will agree that it's completely misrepresented in-game (nukes actually cool the planet, hence "Nuclear winter"), not to mention completely illogical from a game design perspective, as there's nothing the player can do about it short of trying to pass the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Act.

The truth is it's colder now than when my Grandmother was born, but that's for another thread...

Remove this from the game please!

There ARE other ways to stop global warming... there is a random even about building a strong navy and a number of fighters, and one option is to completely and totally ban nuclear weapons, regardless of what the UN says about it. It requires that you can build nukes, research manhattan project, or have the tech to do so.

I never build nuclear weapons, and I sometimes still get global warming. I don't think the relationship is solely related to nuclear weapons.

I never build nuclear weapons, and I sometimes still get global warming. I don't think the relationship is solely related to nuclear weapons.

Nuclear meltdowns by power plants cause it, too.

Firaxis has always seemed bent on over-hyping the global-warming environmental issue. This has been a problem right back to Civ 2. (At least back then you could terraform to combat it.)

Very annoying. First thing I modded was to take out global warming.

I think global warming should only be in the game if they somehow implemented a counterbalance to it. While global warming is occuring it really isn't just making deserts, it is shifting our weather patterns so some places will actual see an increase in rainfall whereas other places will see a diminishing rainfall and desertification. Therefore, there should be an equal oppourtunity of a forest growth, or a plains to a grassland as there should be desertification. As it is now it isn't really realistic. Nuclear weapons are not the cause of global warming its industrialization. Tying nukes to a higher percentage of GW doesn't make sense in the game, and as someone pointed out a more logical thing would be to have the entire world get colder and have tiles turn to tundra and ice because of nukes.

Genv [FP];6760965 said:
If you don't mind, I'd like to laugh.

But seriously, It's an integral part of the game, and unless you had next to no military ( Which brings the point of why you didn't get wiped out ) you could have prevented it.

Sometimes Civ IV things piss me off too..But after realizing your mistakes and playing through again, you realize that everything is fine the way it is.

This is all a load of condescending crap. 'Mistakes' don't cause global warming, an annoying and pointless feature of the game does. It's not an integral part of the game, it's stupid and there's no reason at all not to mod it out.

This is all a load of condescending crap. 'Mistakes' don't cause global warming, an annoying and pointless feature of the game does. It's not an integral part of the game, it's stupid and there's no reason at all not to mod it out.

Agreed. It doesn't serve any useful point in the game. It doesn't provide any balance, or gameplay. It just serves Firaxis's left-wing environmental agenda, pushing it down our throats.

I prefer the idea mentioned earlier if it could provide both negative and positive effects. Then it may serve some strategic purpose, albeit minor. I think I'd still mod it out, but at least it wouldn't be so annoying.

Can I remove this mechanic by deleting a portion of the code? It's getting annoying that half my continent turns to desert because of a war I wasn't even involved in!

Hmm, no one seems to have actually answered your question yet. It's not that hard, it's actually one of the simplest game modifications possible.

The value that determines the probability of a desertification event is stored in the file GlobalDefines.xml. The variable is called:

<Define>
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>
</Define>

If you change that value from 20 to 0, then you won't have any desertification due to global warming in the game anymore. That's all. :)

You can change the original file and then all your normal games won't have any global warming anymore. You can alternatively create a tiny mod out of it so that the standard game is still available to you when you want to play multiplayer or load a game from someone else who is playing the unmodded game.

The comments in this thread about the ingame cause of global warming are correct. It is caused by the explosion of nuclear weapons or by the meltdown of nuclear plants.

edit: making this change and continuing an ongoing game is possible, but it won't magically change back all of the already affected tiles. It will help prevent global warming in subsequent games and no further global warming will occur in that game.

Global warming, if it was to be implemented at all, shouldn't be a bunch of deserts showing up haphazardly.
I'd like a random coast (including ice) square changing to water or existing deserts spreading (similarly to how forests do) as alternatives; a planet that looks as if it had the measles doesn't seem realistic.
Alternative would be a move towards desert instead of instant desertification... tundra -> grassland -> plains -> desert.

I think global warming should only be in the game if they somehow implemented a counterbalance to it. While global warming is occuring it really isn't just making deserts, it is shifting our weather patterns so some places will actual see an increase in rainfall whereas other places will see a diminishing rainfall and desertification. Therefore, there should be an equal oppourtunity of a forest growth, or a plains to a grassland as there should be desertification. As it is now it isn't really realistic. Nuclear weapons are not the cause of global warming its industrialization. Tying nukes to a higher percentage of GW doesn't make sense in the game, and as someone pointed out a more logical thing would be to have the entire world get colder and have tiles turn to tundra and ice because of nukes.

back in the civ 2 global warming did that, got jungle growth and swamps.!

Don't care GW is in the game

DO CARE MIGHTILY WITH GREAT PREJUDICE that you can't use engineers to terraform like in Civ2.

Bring back the little dudes in the hard hats!

Don't care GW is in the game

DO CARE MIGHTILY WITH GREAT PREJUDICE that you can't use engineers to terraform like in Civ2.

Bring back the little dudes in the hard hats!

Yes, at least there was a way to combat it. However, I don't think it added anything to gameplay, it just increased micro-management.

(That, and the computer AI was too stupid to know how to use it properly.)

I have no nukes. The guys I'm fighting have no nukes. My cities are well under their :health: caps and I've still had 2 tiles go desert - so it isn't just nuclear. There HAS been 1 nuclear detonation on the other side of the planet, but if that's causing me Gw, that ain't kool.

Top Bottom