[R&F] Renewing Alliances!

Yeah, I didn't see the renew alliance button come up once during my last game, and I was keeping an eye out. :dunno:

Now if only the AI would ever agree to renew the alliance instead of waiting for it to expire, then renewing...sometimes a few turns later. :rolleyes:

:lol:, is that what the U.S. does with Canada? I always wondered why they seem to like us.
No, but we basically did that to Japan. TR's Great White Fleet and all that. Ever hear of "gunboat diplomacy"? :p

The "Renew Alliance" button didn't seem to work for me. In my last game my ally Lautaro didn't want to extend the alliance. When it ended I tried to get a new Declaration of Friendship but it was refused. Next turn: He contacts me for a Declaration of Friendship.

I'm not sure how the AI views these kind of deals. Was Lautaro looking for another civs to ally with? And then came back to me after none of the other civ were interested?

That's been something the AI does since the release of Vanilla.

That's been something the AI does since the release of Vanilla.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for the reply. I started playing Civ6 when Rise and Fall came out and this was my first serious game.

I can usually renew my declaration of friendship the turn the alliance ends, but not always. If I've been completely peaceful this is easier to do. But if I had some early warmongering, the AI seems more hesitant, but often a turn or two later they will renew.

I don't think that button's ever worked for me. Have always had to start a new deal.

I think the "renew" button pops up when the alliance has run a couple of turns. So we maybe able to see it after 10-15(is it? dunno the exact number) but it certainly wont be on the screen at the start of an alliance.

But how AIs react to this is still a weird thing. Sometimes they just refuse every time and let the alliance expire, and then they come to offer frdship again. Geez.

Robots' (or their designers') minds are hard to understand.

I kept checking all throughout my alliances in my last game and didn't see it...

I presume the 'Renew Alliance' feature only concerns the alliance itself?

I'm usually able to wrangle some gold/GPT out of the AI for the 'privilege' of entering an alliance with me, and I doubt that aspect of the deal is renewed.

If it is, then perhaps that explains why I've personally never been able to get the 'Renew Alliance' button to work (as the monetary value of such a deal fluctuates every turn).

Ah, good, there's a thread for that, I was wondering where to post my questions. :)

Has anybody fully understood if/how it works? Time and again I tried this button with zero success (like some other players here), AI's answer always was no, we don't want that, no matter all the positive diplo modifiers with them, so I gave up trying. Every time the my alliances have to end, then next turn I redeclare friendship and sign a new alliance with no problem. So what's up with all that?

Also, I must have missed that info, but it seems that any alliance now means an automatic defensive pact as well? After a few unpleasant surprises I had with being drawn into unplanned wars, I now pick my friends much more carefully.

I presume the 'Renew Alliance' feature only concerns the alliance itself?

I'm usually able to wrangle some gold/GPT out of the AI for the 'privilege' of entering an alliance with me, and I doubt that aspect of the deal is renewed.

If it is, then perhaps that explains why I've personally never been able to get the 'Renew Alliance' button to work (as the monetary value of such a deal fluctuates every turn).

Oh, that may be true, I also usually load my alliance deals with some small payments from the AI, to cover the administrative costs, so to say :)
Will have to try to renew a 'pure' alliance when I have the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normally when I play the AI refuses to renew the alliance, then the next turn as others are saying they will come crawling back to me asking for friendship and we can renew the alliance at that point.

Kind of annoying but not the end of the world losing one turn of production.

What happened in one game though, alliance expired, then when the AI came back for friendship the next turn, the science alliance was no longer available, the #$%# decided to take his sci alliance somewhere else, jerk! All he had left was military alliance which I did not want.

What happened in one game though, alliance expired, then when the AI came back for friendship the next turn, the science alliance was no longer available, the #$%# decided to take his sci alliance somewhere else, jerk! All he had left was military alliance which I did not want.
Still worth it for Wisselbank/Arsenal of Democracy, and situationally for the shared visibility.

so, there's no way my armies won't get kicked off of my ally's territory between the alliance end and its immediate renewal next turn ? :/

Top Bottom