[R&F] Renewing Alliances!

nzcamel

Nahtanoj the Magnificent
This must have been pointed out by someone else already (but I've missed the thread if it has been lol) ...
I can renew my alliance before it runs out! What a wonderful change :worship:
Now if we could only do the same with a stand alone open border agreement that would be just right :bump:

Spoiler :

20180215030421_1.jpg

I dunno. I'm playing my first R&F game - on marathon, so it took a while to get to alliances lol.

Yeah, that's pretty neat but either I keep missing it or you don't get a warning for it and keeping track of it yourself is a hassle. I have yet had the AI ask me for a renewal.

I've seen this over the course of two different games. Both Alexander and Cleo kept turning down my requests for renewal. Only to accept a 'new' alliance the turn the first one had run out. Chained alliances with both of them but never through an actual renewal.

Edit; on a side note; Having alliances with Cleo, playing as Poundmaker, trading gets silly

I've had allies renew the same turn and also renew the turn after declining. I also had an ally declare war on me as soon as the alliance ended. I won 10 turns later, so it was probably an attempt to stop my inevitable victory.

I must have just missed the option, but because I'm a hell of a guy people continued to agree the entire game when I manually asked.

Strange, didn't realize could renew before it expired. Every single time I tried Gilgamesh would say no. After it expired he would then accept the very next turn. Sometimes he wouldn't accept, but would ask ME to renew it a few turns later. It was very confusing and random. :crazyeye: Still got the Bromance achievement though!

Have to admit I didn't realize the Alliance system had been improved this much, is refreshing to see it being expanded on to actually mean something now. Went from last place in science to winning the game SpaceX style solely because of the level 3 research alliance with Gilgamesh.

Sometimes stuff just gets silly...
Long time ally and neighbour Wilhelmina refuses to renew friendship and instead allies with my only enemy Nubia. They declare a joint war against me. This betrayal by Wilhelmina triggers an emergency. One of the members who joins me in the emergency: Nubia...

Having any kind of alliance actually grants also automatic Open Borders and Defensive Pacts so they get renewed as well.

I've had allies renew the same turn and also renew the turn after declining. I also had an ally declare war on me as soon as the alliance ended. I won 10 turns later, so it was probably an attempt to stop my inevitable victory.

I've seen this also, I had long lasting Alliances with several AI until I started building space projects. Suddenly everyone was letting alliances run out and declining to declare friendship again. A few turns later a couple AI got together to declare formal war on me. Interestingly that triggered a Betrayal emergency for me since they had been my long time allies and were now declaring war on me.

The renew alliance button is not something I have seen before. When does it become available, is it X number of turns before the alliance ends?

Long time ally and neighbour Wilhelmina refuses to renew friendship and instead allies with my only enemy Nubia. They declare a joint war against me. This betrayal by Wilhelmina triggers an emergency. One of the members who joins me in the emergency: Nubia...

Yes, but this is the kind of thing that is making the end game more fun. I was in an alliance with America when he was attacked by Nubia thus pulling me into the war. We proceeded to invade her territory together, taking several cities along the way. Just as I was on the doorstep of taking her capital my alliance with America ended and he declared war on me, triggering a betrayal emergency which Nubia joined! So now my troops which were just about to take her capital had to turn around, face our former American allies and take Washington within 60 turns with Nubia fighting alongside us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but this is the kind of thing that is making the end game more fun. I was in an alliance with America when he was attacked by Nubia thus pulling me into the war. We proceeded to invade her territory together, taking several cities along the way. Just as I was on the doorstep of taking her capital my alliance with America ended and he declared war on me, triggering a betrayal emergency which Nubia joined! So now my troops which were just about to take her capital had to turn around, face our former American allies and take Washington within 60 turns with Nubia fighting alongside us!

That sounds annoying but also exciting.

:lol::lol: :lmao:

We need a renew friendship now... Actually, since the AI will refuse friendship once you're winning, we need a demand friendship button. "Hey, I have a huge army on your borders and you have this sorry excuse for an army. Do you want to be my friend? Yes or yes? Oh, you want an Alliance? Isn't diplomacy wonderful!"

It'd certainly be nice to get a warning before they expire. Sometimes I can see how many turns there are left, and I note it down to come renew; but I can't always for some reason.

. "Hey, I have a huge army on your borders and you have this sorry excuse for an army. Do you want to be my friend? Yes or yes?

:lol:, is that what the U.S. does with Canada? I always wondered why they seem to like us.

The "Renew Alliance" button didn't seem to work for me. In my last game my ally Lautaro didn't want to extend the alliance. When it ended I tried to get a new Declaration of Friendship but it was refused. Next turn: He contacts me for a Declaration of Friendship.

I'm not sure how the AI views these kind of deals. Was Lautaro looking for another civs to ally with? And then came back to me after none of the other civ were interested?

Last edited:
Top Bottom