[Request] Crime suddenly exploded

mnlg

Chieftain
So I am playing a v37 game. Suddenly, about when I discovered Humanism I think, most of my cities appear as unhappy. I open my capital city and the number of unhappy people is mastodontical (almost twice the happy ones). This stays true for most other cities except the newer ones.

After checking I sense the problem is with crime although I had no warning at all about it.

Most of my cities are shrinking quickly. Luckily I have some money aside so I tried to remedy by mass building Guards. My capital city went from 1 Guard to 8 Guards in its garrison. Most other cities went from 1 Guard to 2 Guards (with the Crime fighting promotion at 4th level). 10 turns later, the number of unhappy people in my capital city is exactly the same (I checked). Just to check I activated cheats and I built every single crime-fighting building I could and 5 turns later nothing changed.

I wonder what do I have to do to diminish crime now...

I remember I played a similar game with v35 or v36 and nothing of the sort happened, I am a bit puzzled.

Thank you for your help.

Please ignore/delete, I found out where to check for crime amount and trend, and it is actually decreasing.

So let's just wait some more.

v37 has tremendous balance problems in that area. I suggest getting the SVN version immediately.

Thank you for your reply.

Would I be able to continue my saved game were I to switch to the subversion version?

Thank you for your reply.

Would I be able to continue my saved game were I to switch to the subversion version?
Actually No. There were some serious changes that took place and going from stock v37 to the latest SVN version would most likely break the save game.

I do have a v37 patch that should allow you to get closer to the latest SVN and not break your save. It's in the V37 Update/Patch thread. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/update-patches-for-v37.613571/page-3#post-14761181

But really get the SVn set up and you can always have the latest or can go back to a favorite version. Very flexible.

Thank you. I was thinking of using the SVN. However if there is a risk to break the save game at every update, and if there is a risk at every update to have balance problems, it kind of loses the appeal of switching to SVN for me. (disclaimer: I have a tremendous respect for everyone who pitched their time and effort for such an incredibly vast mod and I don't mean to be disrespectful in the slightest. I acknowledge the fact that large modifications are by necessity complex and need time to be worked on properly)

I will try your patch (thanks!) and move to SVN if the game keeps spiraling down into crime and population unhappiness. Kinda sucks though, it was setting up rather nicely for me :)

Hello JoSEPh_II, I cleaned the cache and installed the patch I found at the following location:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/update-patches-for-v37.613571/page-3#post-14761181

(thank you for providing it).

I loaded my save game, and, when asked for recalculation, I pressed Yes and let it go at it.

As it finished, I got this error message (see attachment)

As it says it's non-fatal I will just keep playing. I have a copy of the save game so nothing is lost. However if you have suggestions on what to do, that would be appreciated.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• 2017-06-29 19_27_56-Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword.png
    2017-06-29 19_27_56-Civ IV_ Beyond The Sword.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 214
Hello JoSEPh_II, I cleaned the cache and installed the patch I found at the following location:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/update-patches-for-v37.613571/page-3#post-14761181

(thank you for providing it).

I loaded my save game, and, when asked for recalculation, I pressed Yes and let it go at it.

As it finished, I got this error message (see attachment)

As it says it's non-fatal I will just keep playing. I have a copy of the save game so nothing is lost. However if you have suggestions on what to do, that would be appreciated.

Thank you again.
The Tarantula warning can be ignored. The Spider group had some name changes so the pop up appears.

Once pepper2000 our Galactic era modder has all his work in place I will most likely put up a New Full SVN "Patch" for Non SVN users. But if you can, installing the SVN is optimal for timely bug fixes (changing DLLs makes backward bug fixes harder to do.

And you are Most Welcome. And Welcome to Caveman2Cosmos as well. :D Enjoy!

Hey thank you for your reply. Actually I discovered C2C probably in mid-2015, and I managed to bring a savegame into automobiles but then I had to change computer and I guess I lost it.

So, unhappiness is a little bit lower now, although my cities are still on strike. I will keep playing and let you know.

I read that when checking out a copy from the SVN repo it will get about 3.4GBs of data and that's quite a lot, so I guess I will wait for the game to become really unplayable before switching to it :)

I read that when checking out a copy from the SVN repo it will get about 3.4GBs of data and that's quite a lot,

Yeah it has a .svn Folder that is "pure" and then you have the moddable full mod set of folders/files as well. As you probably already know C2C is about 1.67GB in size. Which is smaller than it was in 2015 yet has more content. Our Graphical Artist Sparth (who is on hiatus) is largely responsible for reducing the graphical overhead that was eating us up before.

The scope of the mod is impressive and I could add little to the accolades you have received. I remember I tried going back to vanilla BTS but the game felt short and flat!

Anyway I'm going off topic :D

Thank you again for your help, I will keep you updated if the game stumbles but a couple turns in, it seems to be working fine.

So, my year jumped from 1066 AD to 148666 AD and that's when I understood that it's probably best to start a new game :-D

I remember I played a similar game with v35 or v36 and nothing of the sort happened, I am a bit puzzled.

Thank you for your help.

This exact thing happened to me when playing a v35 game. One turn, crime suddenly exploded massively. EVERY city gained about 2000 crime. And I had about 40 cities. The Sectarian Violence crime building in the version I was on had no tech requirements, so with the civ-wide unhappiness stacking, on top of the huge revolution malus...instant and massive revolution the very next turn. (Which would have been fine if revolutionaries did not sometimes burn cities to the ground. I had to load an autosave several turns previously because they burnt my only source of the Middle East cultural heritage I owned, a city which also had about 20 wonders.) The problem did not reproduce on load.

I'm not a coder, but if I had to guess I'd say it was a very rare occurrence that happens randomly. And yes, once it happens your cities will show crime decreasing massively, but by the time it gets to a good point you'll likely already have problems.

Top Bottom