Request: Offensive Spearman

Kryten4000

Chieftain
If I was artistic I would do this myself, but I'm not and I've seen some of the best unoffical animations on this site. Could someone make a Spearman without the shield, throwing the spear? It would make a cool early offensive unit.

Or a javelin thrower. Western spears were mainly defensive and eastern spears were primarily defensive in nature and not thrown. Once thrown you didnt have a weapon and in war thats bad. The africans tribes used a spear throwing device but much lighter spears. Also much shorter so they could carry a few.

Javelins were pretty heavily used at least in the west and would serve this purpose nicely.

Spears were thrown mainly in hunting where if you missed bambi wasnt likely to pick it up and throw it back in most cultures.

How could I not answer a thread by someone called 'Kryten4000'!

One of the units I am creating for Exsanguination's Alexander the Great mod will be a Thracian Peltast. It will look like the spearman, but with a 'Thracian' helmet (which looks like the civ3 Cavalry helmet, but with a bronze plume), carrying two extra javelins in his left hand behind the shield, and throwing a javelin instead of thrusting with a spear.

It may take a bit of time though. The Scythian/Persian/Saracen horse archer I'm currently working on has already taken me a month and is still not quite finished. Next will be a Macedonian pikeman, THEN the Peltast....then the Trebuchet....then the Mongol Horseman....then the Spanish Harquebusier............

(BTW, this thread should really be in the Creation & Customization forum. It makes new units easier to find if only completed animations are in the Unit Graphics section)

kryten - I must put you on my christmas list!

I tried editing some units myself but lack of talent and the fact that it takes SOOOOOOO long put paid to that scheme.

Mounted archer? Macedonian pike? Peltast? I like the way your thinking son! Every one else seems to be making new modern units. B52's and helicopters and *yawn*

The Alexander legend includes Amazons. Any chance you could manage them too?

I'm sure someone else is already working on the Amazons (damn it, I can't remember who!).

Here is a quick preview of the Scythian/Persian/Saracen horse archer (could be finished by next weekend......maybe!):-

Attachments

• horsearcher_previewx.gif
    horsearcher_previewx.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 245
One of Alexander's light units were the Balearic SLINGERS - another possible addition.

Originally posted by Zouave
One of Alexander's light units were the Balearic SLINGERS - another possible addition.

Yes, HORSE ARCHERS are another unit Civ III unfortunately ignored.

Originally posted by elfstorm
The Alexander legend includes Amazons. Any chance you could manage them too?

Ah! Found it Go to the Apolyton Forums-Files, and on page 3 look for BlueO. There you will find his naughty Amazons!

wow! your Scythian looks fantastic! I can't wait for the finished article.

Thanks for the link to those Amazon units - I've come across them before. I was kinda hoping someone would do something a bit more tasteful ;)

Top Bottom