1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Rerpublic or Monarchy?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by budweiser, Oct 31, 2003.

1. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Here is a game I started last night. Which way would you go? I wish I was at home so I could post a save. It’s Emperor large map, continents, I am Spain. Imagine my continent to be in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head with me in the face, Germany in the left ear, and Russia in the right ear. They both have about 12 cities while I have 9. I did a 4 tile spacing and am wishing I did 3. I do not see many more places to put down a city. To the south of me, in a long subcontinent is England ( I have a single space choke point with them. They do not have good land. America is on an island south of England separated by only 2 sea squares. Its 300 BC.

I am facing two scientific civs, they are two techs into the second age, I am researching construction, the last first age tech. I can also research republic or monarchy. My army consists of 10 workers, 12 warriors, 6 horsemen, 2 spear. I just finished fighting Russia to a stalemate war. They made a demand and I did not cave. I killed many Russian troops but failed to take any land. I have horses hooked up, and iron in my land, but not hooked up. I do not have money and currently there are no decent trades available, I cant afford to trade for the second age techs yet. I do have more culture than anyone else. There are only two different luxuries on this continent of which I have one, Russia has both and Germany has one. Germany’s luxury (which I do not have) is within easy striking range of my forces. America, far to the south, separated by water has a third luxury.

How would you proceed?

2. kzk

kzk Chieftain

You said you are first at culture, so I guess your cities are well developed. You dont have many man in arms so in that case I would prefer republic. You should easily grab huge tech lead and go for knights. And then... :) Your economic situation sould be better too. Thats my advice. I usualy go to monarchy, cause I like early game wars for land, luxuries and resources, skipping rep. at all. But in your case for that is to late. Hope this helps!

3. kzk

kzk Chieftain

Whitch budweiser do you mean? US or our Czech / Europian? US beer socks!

4. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Republic. No brainer.

But only 9 cities on a large map? You're going to need to go war soon -- but you can do that in Republic pretty easily. Build up some force in 20 years and take a bite out of Russia. When ww starts hitting, sue for peace and techs and then take a bite out of Germany, until ww starts hurting, then sue for peace and techs and go back to Russia. etc.

Meanwhile, send out a few suicide galleys.

OR, simply go Republic, play catch-up with techs using twofers until your wide spacing becomes an advantage and crush them all with tanks in the Industrial Age.

Arathorn

5. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I just counted in my head, I have 12 and they have 15, same ratio though. I actually sent out two gallies already. One sank right off the bat. The other survived 5 turns at sea and finally sank with in sight of land but I didnt make contact. If only they could have lived one more turn... Suicide galleys work better on standard maps.

Kzk is right, my cities are fairly well developed. I read about a guy at apolyton that uses the lux slider to get to size 12 quickly so I was sort of trying it. Madrid, my capitol is at 9 and is the number one city in the world. But, growing up, kept me from growing out. Really, the 4 spacing did.

I really would have chosen monarchy in this case because of 3 MPs and the fact that there are not many luxuries to work with. But I might try republic. I agree that russia needs to be targeted first. 20 turns of war, should be enough to take a bite out of them. Then I can ping-pong between my three neighbors.