Reseed!

So here is the beta3 that may fix the problem with the DLC. I actually think it will work. There are three things to test:
* Can you generate a new map with the "Continent Plus" script?

nope. no other mods were loaded, got this:

Attachments

• CPlus.jpg
    CPlus.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 213
Huh huh... Well, at least there is hope, now. So I know there is an error and it's obviously not in Reseed but in the map script. I need to understand where and why. For that I need a lua log, could you provide me one please? (If you didn't set EnableLuaDebugLibrary to 1 in config.ini yesterday, you need to do it and restart civ5 before you make the log).

Nevermind the lua log, it was irrelevant, the beta3 was incorrectly cathcing up a map script loading problem. Here is a beta4 to try instead of the beta3, please retry with it the tests I mentioned for beta3. Unfortunately those are bad news since I am not so sure that the problem can be fixed now.

Attachments

• Reseed! (v 5 - beta4).zip
    25.8 KB · Views: 196
didn't work, line 698 this time, "might be the map script"

Damn. Those are very bad news, it was what I was afraid of. Could you provide me a lua log for confirmation that everything went as I think it did please?

dead cause?

Attachments

• Lua (2).txt
    67 KB · Views: 100
dead cause?
Indeed. :(
Civ5 did not register the map scripts from the DLC into its virtual file system, so mods are prohibited to access them. I hate sandboxing.

Now if you still want to use those maps with Reseed, I think you can do so with the following trick. Remember the DLC directory I mentioned earlier, where you found the map scripts?
* Close civ5
* Move the DLC's directory somewhere, outside of civ5's directories. It will remove the DLC.
* Now copy all the maps and map scripts from that folder in the following civ5 folder: Assets/Maps.
* Start civ5. The DLC is no longer here but the maps can still be used, and they won't bother Reseed.

well, i'd rather not lose the DLC content. i'll just have to forego reseed on DLC maps.

thanks for giving it a go and giving it a more graceful handling than autolose.

how long until the new ver is out on steam?

well, i'd rather not lose the DLC content. i'll just have to forego reseed on DLC maps.
But this DLC only contains the maps and you would still have the maps. So you would not lose anything actually. ;)

how long until the new ver is out on steam?
I have many UI changes to do so it's not ready yet. Actually I am still waiting for feedback because I want to know all the problems and edge cases one can encounter, and how this new version fixed crashes or not, before I decide how to adapt the UI. The first versions of Reseed caused troubles in some cases and it's only until recently I came to get enough feedback to understand them rather then just go with blind guesses.

thanks for giving it a go and giving it a more graceful handling than autolose.
Thanks to YOU for your taking that road with me! :)

Your efforts have been an invaluable and much needed help to allow me to improve Reseed, I waited for someone like you for a long time. Indeed I suspect that all the "instant game over" bugs arose from the very same problem you encountered, and it's only now that I understand it fully and without any doubt. Thanks to you I can at least avoid it and give tips to the users to make their preferred map script work with Reseed. Modders cannot set up automatic feedback processes like one can do in regular software development, we solely depend on our users' feedback and assistance and that plays a vital role in the mods development. So users like you are shiny diamonds for us.

So thank you for bearing with my constant requests and for going through those tedious and frustrating steps. Good job, sir! :goodjob:

Both IGE and Reseed are extremely impressive and useful mods, but is there any chance you can produce a cut-down version, let's call it "Restart", that simply offers the option of regenerating the map (and the starting position of the starting units) at the very beginning of a new game?

The mod should not require IGE, not should it reveal the entire map (that could be optional, but not by default). Restart should only be allowed in turn 0, abefore any Movement Points of any unit has been used, or any other non-reversible action has been taken. It should, however, permit the player to zoom in and out, change map display option (like hex grid and resource indicator), etc. And importantly, Restart should be marked as NOT EffectsSavedGames, so once the player has started to play, the mod would no longer need to load.

I see that this feature, known and beloved in Civ4, has been requested for Civ5 quite a few times here in the forums. IGE and Reseed could do this, but they are too resource-intensive for this simple (but very important) purpose. So, can you help us out, please?

Hello Blkbird.

Your request puzzles me a lot because...
* Reseed does not require IGE.
* Reseed does not affect savegames.
* Reseed does not prevent you to change the map settings.
* Reseed currently only works on turn 0 and before you founded a city (although this limitation will be partially removed in v5).
* Reseed is 25kB and I hardly see how it could be lighter.
* The map reveal is already optional.

In other words all your requests are already satisfied. So what is your problem with Reseed exactly? ;)

Doh!

[*] Start or load a game from the mods menu. From "browse mods", click "next" at the bottom right, check that IGE is listed, click "single player" (on top). Start a new game or load an old one.

That led me to the assumption that IGE is required. Otherwise, what does "check that IGE is listed" mean?

Anyway, this is great. Still, I like to suggest making Reseed strictly non-cheating by default, meaning no unit may even move before reseed (because moving around reveals more of the map, obviously). In the optional cheating mode, the player can do whatever.

From "browse mods", click "next" at the bottom right, check that IGE is listed, click "single player" (on top).
Oops, copy-pasting error, sorry about that, it's now fixed. ;)

Still, I like to suggest making Reseed strictly non-cheating by default, meaning no unit may even move before reseed (because moving around reveals more of the map, obviously). In the optional cheating mode, the player can do whatever.
Two versions of the same mod would be bothering because I would have to set up some tooling to keep them in sync and, well, this means more administrative tasks and less programming. However the idea is good and I could add a game option on the setup screen (without creating conflicts with mods like AdvancedSetupScreen that modify that screen). What do you think about it?

Of course I didn't mean two versions of the mod. I mean an checkbox that says "Activate cheat mode", and a prominent warning that in standard mode, reseed is not allowed after movement (so people in good faith would know in advance and not accidentally move and then discover they have to activate cheat mode now).

But imagine that scenario: a user try Reseed for the first time. He starts his game, spontaneously he hit 'b' to build his first city, then search for Reseed and start it to see how it looks like. Then he is faced with some error telling him that he must either enable cheat mode to restart through Reseed, or really restart. Quite a dumb choice isn't it?

Besides, is restarting after a few turns cheating? No. Does it provide any advantage? No. Does it make a difference if you move your unit and reveal a hex since you want to generate a new map anyway? No. The only cheat available through Reseed is the "glance at map" button and it's already obviously a cheat so people who use it know what they are doing.

I am using the mod (4.5) now, and I'm confused by what's happening and what's supposed to happen.

The tooltip help of "New map" button says "Generate a new map, then automatically saves and reloads". Automatically saving what? The game or the map? The old one or the new one? Where and under what filename?

Anyway, I click it, and it seems I've resigned the game, and now have to click "Exit to main menu" (which is not automatic). I click that and then I'm back to the main menu, no reloading of anything. Also, I haven't seen anything been saved anywhere.

I have G&K 1.0.1.705 with CiVUP 23, InfoAddict 18 and of course Reseed! 4.5, and I also have the UIPatch by Temudjin. I don't know if the last one is interfering with something, or I just didn't get how Reseed! works.

Thank you for that feedback. Maybe I should remove the part about the save and reload, or provide more options. Currently it saves the game with the new map under "__reseed.civ5", it has to do that save-reload step because civ5 would not update the graphics without that.

Regarding the instant game over bug, well, it's a bug. Were you using a map from the DLC (continent plus, etc?). I suggest you give v5 a try (beta4 provided a couple of posts earlier) and tell me what happens with it. Unfortunately civ5 makes generating a new map a complex and borderline operation and, well, it works fine in most cases but fail in some others (depending on computer, map, etc) and I still lack detailed feedback for those of those troublesome cases.

Yeah, I just read a bit more in this thread, and indeed it's the bug regarding the Continent Plus map. I'll try a 5 beta now.

Tried 5 beta 4 and got an error message similar to #81, except it says:

line 698: Could not generate map, the map script may be invalid

The map script in question is still Continent Plus.

What happens if I don't remove the DLC, but simply move the map from the DLC directory to the main map directory? Or copy and rename? That's what I'm trying next.

Yep, it occurs for all the maps from DLC and it cannot be fixed. Please look at post #87 for explanations, and post #89 for a workaround. I will improve the UI for that case.

Top Bottom