[GS] resources in GS

slo

Warlord
Hello all,
Have they gone over how the new resource rules will effect units?

If I don't have a resource, what happens? I am assuming I cant build said unit?

What if I have built a unit but then lose the resource, what happens?

And third, what if I have the resource, but not enough,,,what happens? For example I have 4 tanks but only enough oil for 3, how does that work out?

thanks

slo

As long as you have 1 of the resource, your units can heal. I remember that.

I think for the units that consume resources on a per turn basis, there is a sliding scale of combat strength penalties, if I recall correctly.

It probably won't allow you to build more than you have resources for until your supply replenishes.

There is a lot of things we don't know yet with GS. We know that:
  • Strategic ressources stockpile per turn. Some civilisation will have bonuses to stockpile better like the Ottomans or Canada.
  • Some units need 20 of that strategic ressource to be able to buy/upgrade it. For example, buying Horsemen will use 20 Horses (probably 10 on online speed) or upgrading Swordsmen into Musketmen will consume 20 Niter. We don't know how the units will react when it need to heal: do they need some strategic ressource to heal and wil they consume some when healing?
  • Some units don't need the strategic ressource* to be able to buy/upgrade, but will consume 1 ressource per turn as Maintenance. For example, Tank or Ironclad will probbaly use 1 Oil or 1 Coal per turn. We don't know how the units will react in case of shortage, or if we can preemptively build some units even if we can't fuel them. Are we getting random disbanding in case of shortage? Or can we choose the one that we will "abandon"?

* We don't know. Maybe Tank will need 1 Iron, 1 Coal, and the Steel technology to be unlocked! Maybe obsolete strategic ressource will have some use like this.

@Eagle Pursuit My apologies! I didn't get all that well!

Last edited:
Tanks require oil and burn oil per turn. So do biplanes. The mid-tier planes require Aluminum and also consume it per turn.

@Giskler has a ton of unit screenshots.

The Giant Death Robots consume 3 Uranium per turn.

Tanks require oil and burn oil per turn. So do biplanes. The mid-tier planes require Aluminum and also consume it per turn.

@Giskler has a ton of unit screenshots.

The Giant Death Robots consume 3 Uranium per turn.

A GDR should be hard to maintain; a group of GDR's? Exceptionally so. They can JUMP OVER MOUNTAINS for crying out loud!! Plus they can get upgrades to make them even stronger.

do we pay the resource cost when we start building or at the end? what happens if we lose our stockpile before the unit is finished?

It would be nice if we could disable a unit and it would then stop consuming resources. Activating it back would (of course) have to be penalized somehow, for example by a 3 turns long activation process.

It makes the UU even more interesting, you can build as many as you wish without worry.
Even better, a unique won't make you wonder wether you should disband some units (swordsmen for instance) to build a later one (like knights).

It makes the UU even more interesting, you can build as many as you wish without worry.
Even better, a unique won't make you wonder wether you should disband some units (swordsmen for instance) to build a later one (like knights).

They've confirmed that (most) UUs will also require strategic resources.

That's a good thing then, it would have been ridiculous otherwise

Strategic resources are more plentiful in GS though so I say you should be able to build your UU most of the time, I say around 75-80%. But each strategic resource can only build a limited amount of units, so you can't keep pumping them out.

I like this new system TBH, in the past a lot of the time I didn't get Iron in my cities but now I've a better chance of discovering it. This ties in with me not being a warmonger, I'd only like to build 2 swordsmen in a game, 3 absolute max. I'd never go for 4 or more since I don't conquer.

(I'd place those swordsmen in front of my Crossbowmen when defending cities.)

I think it would be fun if units like tanks would just auto-fortify (park in a garage out of gas) until they started getting the resource they need again.

I like the new ressource system, too.

It is actually one of the major reasons I am looking forward to GS, even if this game mechanic change might only be a side-note for many players.
But for me personally, the downgrade (yes, without quotation marks or any other relativization) of Civ5's ressource system was a huge WTF moment when I learned how Civ6 will handle this topic!

Sure, it will work differently than in Civ5, but I am optimistic that I will enjoy it at least as much as the Civ5 mechanic. Maybe even more. But this can only be answered by playing. TomKQT has a point here: The actual implementation matters.

Do we know whether damaged units will consume strategic resources when they heal?
That would be a nice feature, if it was implemented. Because I expect that otherwise we will have full stockpiles after some time once the units are produced/upgraded. Some resources will be usefull again, while some will not (horses & niter). This way it would extend their usefulness a bit more.

They've confirmed that (most) UUs will also require strategic resources

I'm guessing Varu won't require any resources, it would be ridiculous if they require horses. Things like Impi and hoplite shouldn't require any as well. Along with eagle warrior and Cree's unit.

Do we know whether damaged units will consume strategic resources when they heal?
That would be a nice feature, if it was implemented. Because I expect that otherwise we will have full stockpiles after some time once the units are produced/upgraded. Some resources will be usefull again, while some will not (horses & niter). This way it would extend their usefulness a bit more.

They won't consume ressources, but they need at least one available ressource in the stock.

It is quite reasonable like this, I believe.
How many ressources would be needed to heal lost HP?
One resource per HP would be way too much.
[Building cost] / 100 would be way more reasonable, but all the neccesary "under the hood" fractions (fractions are not represented in the UI) would make the system quite hard to keep track of.

Last edited:
Speaking of resources, I'm disappointed we don't appear to be getting any new luxuries :(

It would be nice if we could disable a unit and it would then stop consuming resources. Activating it back would (of course) have to be penalized somehow, for example by a 3 turns long activation process.

I was thinking this, but I go back and forth. An airplane needs to be used all the time and its pilots need constant practice. Mothballed aircraft are generally turned into scrap.

Top Bottom