Retina MBP 13 inch, vanilla Iris, how good is it?

cFccFc

Warlord
Hi all, hope this isn't the wrong place to ask.

I am currently playing civilization on my older Vaio Z from 2010, with the Nvidia 330m and a I5 that clocks up to 2.8 ghz in turboboost plus 4 gb ram. This has given me a good performance on small maps, a sluggish performance on medium late (sluggish as in very long waiting periods, while graphics have been fine on lower / medium settings.

As it is breaking down, I am looking at a MacBook 13 inch, retina, 256 SSD and, purely for Football Manager and CIV; the (dualcore) I7 which clocks up to 3.5 in turbo, as well as 8 gb ram. I initially thought both the 13 and 15 came with Iris Pro, but I recently learned that the 13 "only" has the 5100 vanilla Iris, not the 5200 pro iris version. And the difference seem to be significant.

So the question is, my new computer should be a significant upgrade from my Z in terms of waiting time between rounds, which is why I am going for the i7. In addition, I want to be able to play CIV on medium-higher settings at around 1600x900 resolution.

Would this at all be possible on the MacBook 13 inch, and would the new i7 give me a significant upgrade on waiting time between turns compared to the i5 of 2010?

After some more research, I found that the MacBook pro retina 13 i7 processor delivers around 2x the score in Cinebench single processor. Does anyone have any insight into what exactly this means in waiting time per round?

Also, perhaps more important, how large would the difference between the i5 dual core and the i7 dual core in civilization be, considering that the game only utilizes one cpu, this would be an noticeable boost I would believe, however not more than 15 %.
Any insight?

Also consider to max the RAM. More important than CPU grade (i5 -> i7)

I am currently using the latest Macbook Pro with Retina 13-inch Late 2013 version.

- i5 2.4GHz
- upgraded to max. 16GB ram
- Iris 5xxx 1600MB Display
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

So far running Civ5 smoothly.

Top Bottom