Return of move 3 vs move 2 retreat?

Iztvan

the Terrible
Am I the only one who misses the old days, when move 3 units could retreat from move 2?
I think it definately added to the game, and I would realy like it back.

Yes, units with higher movements should always have a possibility to retreat from such with lower movement. It would not only add to the game, it's also quite logic.
The chance to retreat sucessfully could be dependent on the movement difference. A move 3 unit has better cards to retreat from a move 1 than a move 2 unit.

When could that happen. I remember only "fast", i.e. units with moves of 2 or more, could retreat if against "slow", mp's of 1.

Naw, EVERYONE should have a chance to retreat! If you're a slow unit opposing a fast unit, your chance to retreat should just be downgraded one experience level.

I would really appreciate at least the option to have it like that through the Editor.

Originally posted by slothman
When could that happen. I remember only "fast", i.e. units with moves of 2 or more, could retreat if against "slow", mp's of 1.

In "Vanilla" Civ3 (at least some versions). It was "fixed" in PTW. :cry:

Originally posted by Jaybe
Naw, EVERYONE should have a chance to retreat! If you're a slow unit opposing a fast unit, your chance to retreat should just be downgraded one experience level.

I would really appreciate at least the option to have it like that through the Editor.

Totally agree. Except that speed needn't be the only factor. I'd like some units to have favoured terrain, i.e. Guerillas are at home in woods/jungle/mountains, and should be able to retreat if in that terrain, and Tanks should be at a disadvantage in bad terrain and cities, just like in real life.

I'm with you, Iztvan. This is one of my "big" requests. It seems so small and easy, yet has been completely ignored. Many of my requests are minor, but would add a lot to the game. *SIGH* But alas . . .

altho i agree with the concept, i'd bet that Iztvan's request is nowhere near being easy. every new variable you add to the equation makes it that much more difficult to calculate. Currently, you simply have speed > 1 and opponent speed = 1 to contend with. your request would also have to take in effect terrain and unit type, then calculate all the variations of all 4 factors. Which factor takes priority? Take a simple example, a guerilla attacks a cavalry in the the woods (1m vs 3m), who gets the retreat option? Maybe both should get it, depending on who gets to 1hp first. Maybe they cancel each other out and neither can. But just imagine the arguing that would result, based on those few times a spearman beats a tank, I can see this being a much bigger debate.

Well, taking account of terrain etc is realy just an add to the wishlist...

But move 3 retreat vs move 2 was actually in the game in an earlier edition! So it shouldn't be that hard to put back! :)

it sounded to me like civ3 was written from scratch without using any old civ code. after all multiplayer was in one of the civs if i recall and it was a major effort to get it into civ3.

Yes, Civ3 was written from scratch... but that's not the point!

We're talking about something that was in Civ3 removed when PTW was released! Wierd, huh?

Top Bottom