1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Returning player needs advice

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by That Retro Guy, Apr 4, 2020.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Stone \ Cold / Fish

The default is — or should be — "(Almost) all governor settings switched off"! ;)

Even if left to its own devices, (and up until the town hits a growth-cap at Pop6 or Pop12) the Governator usually aims for at least +2FPT net from all worked tiles, and as many SPT as can be obtained without compromising that 'minimum food' requirement.

AFAIK, on a procedurally generated map, you'll never get a Wheat on a BonusGrass. So yeah, if the Wheat hasn't been mined yet, then all else being equal, I can easily imagine it preferring the Sugar-Hill (2f+1s) to the unimproved Wheat (3f+0s) at Pop1.

@That Retro Guy:

If you only have a single Wheat available, then under Despotism, it should usually be irrigated (=4f+0s) for growth every 5T (before you've built a Granary*), rather than mined (=3f+1s**) for growth every 7T.

If you then also switch on 'Emphasise production' in the Governator settings for that town (or 'All towns'!), every time your town(s) grows, the Governator will look for the highest-SPT tile available in the FatCross, e.g. a Forest or a mined Hill, to bring the 'excess' food-harvest back down towards +2 FPT net. Because food-harvest/growth happens before shield-harvest, that newborn citizen can therefore immediately give you 1-2 extra shields into your current build.

If you (can be bothered to!) then rearrange your towns' citizens back to the high-FPT tile(s) after growth*, you can get both faster growth and more production/commerce than if you'd left your citizens arrayed per the Governator's preference.
    Spoiler * :
    After you've built a Gran, if you want to avoid wasting large amounts of food at +3-4 FPT net, you will need to micromanage that town's worked tiles — at least twice as frequently
    Spoiler ** :
    You can always go back and mine that Wheat-tile (for 4f1s) later, once you've switched to a gov-type without the Despot-penalty

2. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Don't forget the penalty under despot. Any tile that produces more than two food gets 1 less. Same for shields. Mining the wheat would net 1 shield as it is under two. So to me that means what do I need the most in that town, 3 net food or 1 net shield (assumes corruption is not a factor yet). I would also consider worker turns. Will I be able to come back, after switch of gov, to irrigate or mine soon? If not then I go with what I want the tile to be, when out of despotism.

3. tjs282

I didn't forget it ;)

Grass gives 2 FPT + irrigation (+1 FPT) + Wheat (+2 FPT) = 5 FPT, which the Despot penalty knocks back down to 4 FPT.
    If you need core tiles re-improved after you're running a non-Despotic gov, it may well be more efficient simply to build a second wave of Workers out of your core, than bring back the ones which are already out on the fringes. It might even be necessary to build Workers/Settlers from time to time out of your larger/faster-growing towns, to avoid overpopulation-riots.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  4. That Retro Guy

That Retro Guy Chieftain

Before I get knees-deep into the game (and place myself at the mercies of the RNG Gods), I'd like to get CivAssist II up and running.

I see from Puppeteer's Sig that there is a newer version than the one that I used on Win 7 Computer. Is there a .net framework that I need to download to get CAII working?

My current computer is running Win10 Home 64 Bit OS.

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  5. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

For the "latest" CivAssist II you don't need to install the framework as it's recompiled for 4.0. That said, very few seem to have it working on Win10. vmxa seems to be the only one I know of who has it working on Win10. I can now manually load a save and have it work, but it won't auto-load saves for me.

@tjs282 I occasionally set the governor preferences in a city without actually using the governor for situations like this. It does affect where a new citizen from growth gets assigned. Sometimes it stubbornly avoids the high-food tile for balanced production factors, so I pick "emphasize food". Other times I'm micromanaging hard and want it to pick a forest or something on growth for that extra shield or two and have to make it "emphasize production". In this situation I'd probably set the governor preference to emphasize food for my early game play style.

6. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

I don't really use the Governor function at all ... never really found it necessary, with enough micromanaging. Even assigning citizens to work new tiles seems to work by itself without my intervention (unless the cities are too close together, but then that requires micromanaging to make sure there's enough food / growth where I want it).

7. That Retro Guy

That Retro Guy Chieftain

Ah . . . I won't worry about it then. Is anybody working on CivAssist III that will work on Win 10? :shifty: :lol:

I barely managed to get MapFinder working (sorta . . . it takes forever to go through 1 iteration, and after about 5 or 6 iterations, the whole game locks up on the 'Confgiuring Barbarians' window.) Has anybody else managed to get MapFinder working properly?

8. jarred!

jarred! Prince

MapFinder uses quick start so it shouldn't be going to that screen. Start a new game, select all your settings and then start MapFinder while looking at your settler. Lower the times in the settings if it's taking a while.

9. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

Funny you should ask...I am! So far its functionality is limited to showing which forest tiles have been chopped, war/peace/contact status for opponent civs, and like in the past week or so, tech trades! It's not polished, but it's about to the point where I could/should make a beta release. I'm calling it CIA3 (or Civ3 Intelligence Agency).

I'll go make a thread for it and either post the latest alpha build and/or clean out the dev functions and make a beta build. I'll update this thread when I do.

WeirdoJoker likes this.
  10. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

11. That Retro Guy

That Retro Guy Chieftain

That is totally cool! :thumbsup:

I like to use the mod Sn00py's Terrain - Version 4.1g (greener) while playing. I seem to recall that there is a way to make a terrain mod the default Terrain when the game starts up. Could somebody please refresh my memory on how to do this? Oh, I don't think that I've mentioned it, but I'm playing Civ 3 Complete.

12. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

ARTS folder. Well I should add the Terrain folder, in the ART folder.

13. tjs282

Yes. Select your existing ../Conquests/Art/Terrain folder, copy it (and all its contents), and rename it as "../Art/Terrain ORIGINAL" (or similar). Then paste the copy back in, so you have the following structure:

Civilization 3
    Conquests
    Art
    Terrain [copied]
    Terrain ORIGINAL​
    With Civ3Complete, the "sn00py's terrain" folders should already have been installed by default, in ../Conquests/Scenarios/Sn00pys (something like that, anyway; you should be able to find it easily).

There are several different versions of sn00py's terrain, but I guess you want 'Terrain Greener'(?). So go into that folder, copy all the terrain .pcx files, and then paste all those files into your newly copied-and-pasted ../Conquests/Art/Terrain/ folder, over-writing any existing (Firaxis) files.

(It's OK, you've still got those files stored in the .../Terrain ORIGINAL/ folder!)

This change will take effect next time you open Civ3. If you already have a game in progress, next time you load the save, the new graphics will be applied to it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  14. That Retro Guy

That Retro Guy Chieftain

Cool! I got it to work. Thanks! :thumbsup:

tjs282 likes this.
  15. That Retro Guy

That Retro Guy Chieftain

There used to be a bunch of Smiley Face mods for c3c. I know that I'm (obviously) not looking in the right place, but I've been searching for days now with no luck.

Help! :hmm:

16. Puppeteer

Puppeteer Emperor

For the popHeads, the city screen's citizens, like in my avatar? Link in my sig: This one, and the other includes nationality flags which are visually cluttering but can help you quickly identify foreign pop units in your cities. There are a bunch of versions in the zip and a readme, but basically for most cases all you need is the conquests one for Conquests/Art/SmallHeads/popHeads.pcx . The rest are for older versions of civ3 and/or some custom scenarios.

EvanCiv was the creator of...if not the original, then the most popular mood badges for a while. I can't seem to find a link to them...they may have gotten lost over the years.

Actually I made a video where I install my own mod:

17. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

@That Retro Guy
    Seeing Adam West, sort of sad thoughts. My good friend in 1966 foolishly ran from HP on the old coast road and we ended up hitting a car in Malibu. The final resting place of our car was in Adam West's car. I still have the broken foot to remind me of it. The two in the car he hit, both died. My friend went to prison. He was 21, I was 20. We were in the Navy at the time.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  18. That Retro Guy

That Retro Guy Chieftain

So the only file that's supposed to be in the SmallHeads folder is the popHeads.pcx, right?

19. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

For C3C art folder, yes. For vanilla art folder there are several.

20. That Retro Guy

That Retro Guy Chieftain

Got it working! Thanks!

Puppeteer likes this.