Revenge of the Ronin (Sengoku mod)

Looks like you've got a few more spots for some Ronin camps to appear now. :D

Ah, panethnic cleansing. It's good for the soulless.

The Mogami hadn't been doing too well since the beginning, when their first settler sought the friendship of a nearby village but instead found that it was full of barbarians. This setback left them in an inferior position compared with their more powerful neighbors, the Date and the Uesugi. Date Masamune was in fact Mogami Yoshiaki's nephew, but relations between the two clans were soured when Date refused to give the respectful bow to his elder--he had reasoned that it was unnecessary to do so for a daimyo who controlled a much smaller domain. Later Date was said to have discovered his mother (also Mogami's sister) putting poison in his tea, whereupon he swore revenge and declared war.

Mogami did not take the insult lightly. But when the Date soldiers surrounded his castle, he would not suffer the shame of surrendering to his own nephew and instead chose to commit seppuku, with many of his loyal supporters following suit.

But while Date Masamune managed to escape death by poisoned tea, he himself would ultimate succumb to another drink. Many jugs of sake had been ordered for his victory celebration, to which he invited all the brave warriors who had fought under him. During the feast the daimyo emptied a few too many goblets and began stumbling around the courtyard, drunkenly muttering verses of some forgotten poet while colliding with other revelers. Little did he know that also present at the feast were a handful of ronin who felt quite scornful of this fratricidal behavior, so he was in for a rude awakening when he approached and attempted to fondle a beautiful geisha, only to find himself impaled upon a hidden dagger.

Ordinarily this would not have been a mortal wound, but Date had lost control of his senses for a while now and simply laughed the matter off while continuing on his romp, though limping a bit more noticeably. Two attendants eventually carried him off to his private quarters, well he fell sound asleep, never to wake again. This blade, as it turned out, was poisoned too.

And like the poison spreading through his body, the lawless hordes of the ronin spread across the land that was once under the rule of the Date.

Meanwhile, the ronin of southern Honshu had at last converged upon Osaka, where Matsunaga Hisahide was plotting his next move in the race to occupy the lands vacated by the Mori and Urakami. So far it was the Chosokabe who had been most successful in building settlements on the other side of the inland sea, while the Oda and Saito clans were also extending their reach westward. Matsunaga wondered why the ronin weren't attacking these other targets that were much more vulnerable, but it was only after a kunai had lodged itself in his throat that he realized their objective was to assassinate the daimyos, not to plunder the villages.

And thus the Matsunaga clan was wiped off the map.

During this time, Tokugawa Ieyasu had steered clear of conflict with his neighbors and instead devoted his efforts to studying literature and poetry. He gathered all the books and scrolls he could from all over Japan and expanded his archives to house a Great Library, which he opened up to the public. This would serve only to increase the technological advantage he already held over his rivals.

Chosokabe Motochika had been building a library of his own, but upon hearing that the Tokugawa had completed theirs he shifted his interests to drama, and converted the structure to a hall for Kabuki performances. He wouldn't be able to catch up with the level of sophistication demonstrated by the other Sengoku powers, but at least he could always be entertained.

All that he had to worry about was his arch-nemesis on Shikoku, Ichijo Kanesada, whom he would have to eliminate as soon as the opportunity presented itself. Then he would be secure at last... or so he thought.

Great chapter... :popcorn:

Just wow!

1510 AD: The second great ronin uprising begins.

If you were wondering if that's a city on Kyushu, I can confirm it:

There was a Tokugawa caravel wandering around over there and I decided to give it a relatively harmless location to settle rather than risk letting it find something closer to my camps. I didn't have enough units to blockade the west side of Kyushu at the time.

Date Masamune eeh? I think you just killed Sephiroth.

That may be, but evil Doc Hojo is still around making mischief. Gotta go to the root of the problem....

Do I see a blockade behind that diplomatic advisor? :woohoo:

I have blockades all over the place. It's just that they're not as effective anymore since all the Sengoku civs are building caravels to go around them.

Spoiler :

The other bad news is that most Sengoku civs have more advanced units defending now; samurai archers have a defense of 3 and the dreaded yamabushi have 5. Expect a long wait before another daimyo dies by my hand.

9 down, 9 to go. Tokugawa and Ichijo look so small with their 4 cities compared to the 8-10 everyone else has.

I wish that in my games I had that many galleys to use.

Ah, but you can always upgrade your galleys. These barbs are barbs forever. They have to make up for it in quantity.

Sima: most kickassful!

what is the a/d/m points for your units :confused:

cool :cool: :lol:

Top Bottom