1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Revising the polling standards

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by ravensfire, Aug 15, 2006.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Let's not have any artificial boundries on what can be changed by this effort. If it touches both Con and CoL then we can deal with that.

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

:sleep: ZZZzzz...

*yawn* Twenty posts later.....

So. What have we learned? Anyone care to recap the progress in THIS thread?

:D :D Haven't we discusssed this before? Is an Official poll binding? Can an Official bind a poll? Are Official pole bindings bound to be bettter?

Sounds to me like we're just as close to the 2 or three main subjects in this debate as we were 6 Demogames ago.

What's the deal?

3. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Why change the words? They crux of the issue is to decide if there should be any distinction at all between polls posted by officials and those posted by citizens. It would appear that you are arguing there should be no difference. I can live with that - we validate or invalidate each poll based on the poll itself and not who posted it - and we do not have one set of standards for officials and another for citizens.

I agree with the first point on your list and I think our constitution doe sa good job of making this clear - but the role of opinion polls is murky. In my reading of the constitution, an opinoin poll is a decison and therefore binding (unless a higher decision form is used afterward).

I also agree with the second point. In my reading of the constitution this point is very clear since citizen initiatives (which can't be posted by officials) trump any other decision. We definately need to insert the word *binding* into this constitutional clause to clarify things.

I agree with the third point and think the constitution makes this point clear.

I agree with point four but don't think we should put too much about this in the constitution, other than that polls should be fair and clearly written, etc. Specific polling standards are difficult to write and so should be in the CoL or even lower form of law since they will most likely need to be revised. The idea of having an official validate polls is ok but I think we've vested too much power in the Censor. The idea of pre-certifying a poll (sort of like we do with amendments and the judiciary) is a good one.

I agree with the first sentence of point five. I do not agree that the judiciary is the sole means of interpreting our laws. Citizens should be able to ensure a binding interpretation or clarification via a citizen's initiative. This game has shown that the judiciary has its limits and cannot always be depended upon to render a decision.

4. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

That disagreements over the polling process are the CFC Demogame's very own equivalent to death and taxes?

5. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

Sorry folks, we hit a deadline at work and were NOT READY for it. Needless to say, much burning of the midnight oil commenced. Sorry - I was really hoping to continue this in a timely manner.

I am, however, back, and will continue this.

As I departed into the realm known as Overtime, I was going to post a poll about the scope of private/public poll. That poll will go up now, as described in my earlier post (first option).

-- Ravensfire

6. ravensfire

7. ravensfire

Reminder note added for citizen's poll vs official's poll discussion. Can an official post a citizen's poll in an area they govern? Should there be a distinction between those two polls? Should there be any limitations on when a Citizen's poll can be posted (ie - poll of last resort when official rebuffs)?

-- Ravensfire