Term 1 Censor's Office - Proposed Procedures for Official Polling

i suggest to amend 1b to say that a separate discussion thread will be open for 24 hours before the election, as opposed to a discussion happening for 24 hours in another thread

RoboPig said:
i suggest to amend 1b to say that a separate discussion thread will be open for 24 hours before the election, as opposed to a discussion happening for 24 hours in another thread

That would be problematic. Let's say a discussion regarding an issue starts, during which we realize the original question we were asking ourselves isn't the right one, or not the most relevant one, or not the most urgent one, whatever. This happens a lot. Now, instead of voting on the original question, we need to vote on the newly raised one which is highly relevant to the original one. And in order to do that, we would have to set up a new, dedicated discussion thread and wait for 24 hours, although the discussion has already been happening in the existing thread? That doesn't make any sense to me, it's just bureaucratic procedures that significantly reduce our efficiency.

Octavian X said:
The office of the Censor, as decreed by Section 1.B.IIIB.1, is in charge of creating the rules for and validating official polls. Official polls, as defined by the current Constitution, carry a great deal of weight as an initiative or referendum of the citizenry.

It appears to me that the Justices may have a different opinion regarding the constitutional definition of "official polls". Relevant questioned have been asked during the JR case DG1JR1, specificly the question if an Initiative is official - it might be not, because it doesn't come from an Government Official.

I suggest you read up in the JR1 discussion and/or contac the Judiciary Board for clarification.

Sorry I didn't see this problem earlier.

So far as I am concerned, the official ruling of the Justices only ratified the legality of the adoption of the Triumvirate government in all its glorious flaws. As I read the Code of Laws, I find nothing that gives this office relevant authority over amendments to either the Constitution or Code of Laws - at the very least, the Code of Laws makes no mention of how any sort of amendment poll is defined, while it's amendment process is controlled by the judiciary.

I have left out definitions of Initiative and Referndum from all drafts, as I assume they will be better defined at some point in the future.

Lastly, I'd like to note that, in the current draft on the first page of this thread, the 24-hour discussion rule has been removed in light of the fact that the CoL does indeed require 48 hours of polling to be declared official. The entire process, with the discussion rule, would be forced to take 72 hours, which is about the average time between game sessions, thus making it extremely difficult to validate any urgent game-related decision (if so required). Discussion before polling is still highly recommended by this office, but not required.

Octavian X said:
Lastly, I'd like to note that, in the current draft on the first page of this thread, the 24-hour discussion rule has been removed in light of the fact that the CoL does indeed require 48 hours of polling to be declared official. The entire process, with the discussion rule, would be forced to take 72 hours, which is about the average time between game sessions, thus making it extremely difficult to validate any urgent game-related decision (if so required). Discussion before polling is still highly recommended by this office, but not required.

I support your decision. However, it should be noted that a poll doesn't have to be official in order to become effective. The constitution specifies that an informational poll still has power over non-polling decision types. Therefore, if someone set up a informational poll regarding an urgent matter in the game because there is not enough time for an official poll, this informational poll can only be overruled by an official one, for which, as mentioned before, there is not enough time. Therefore way the informational poll will definitely prevail until next the Game Session.

Top Bottom