RFC Europe: Extending/Fixing City Name Maps

I'm not trying to put you off. But if sedna has already coded all these maps for inclusion in the next test version as he says, then won't he also have to recode each map all over again?

OK then. No new versions- posted are regarded as finished. So I will return to my previous ''job''-playtesting.

OK then. No new versions- posted are regarded as finished. So I will return to my previous ''job''-playtesting.

That's a "job" for all of us. I was just asking. Maybe sedna can tell us if its OK to do revisions once they're coded. If so, Great!

It's a couple seconds for me to take a WorldBuilderSave into a city map, so it's no problem to keep doing refinements. In fact, I encourage it, because we need to get good agreement between different maps and that obviously requires some back-and-forth.

It takes a lot longer if I have to check to see if a new map is "good" for inclusion though. Operafantom's latest map is too detailed, in the sense of too many small one-tile squares.

Perhaps it makes sense for everyone to take a little break from this. I'll get what's currently "good" into the next version, update the initial posts' WBSaves and we can iterate from there.

Ok here's an update:

Modified Albania and Zeta (added Kotor, Skodra and Vlore). Added Beirut in the Levant. Fixed some mess in Cyprus.

Italian maps:
- added italian city names for Dalmatia, Albania, Greece, Cyprus, Levant and Crimea (in line with Byzantine, I hope it's the same as the Russian one).

Hungarian map:
- updated to new Zeta

Byzantine map:
- completely redid Italy and Yugoslavia (+ Albania) to be in line with Hungary and Venice-Genua.

Todo:

(Micbic)
fix the italo-austrian border according to Micbic's Austro-german citylist. My problem is that I can't open his file !! Please Micbic repost it.

I edited the city name map of micbic (landmarks for the Carpathian Basin) because I think that there is a quite big area (almost whole Transylvania) which had Hungarian settlements, and this part wasn't so accurate or I don't know. So here it is (attached). I tried to make every landmark an own name, but there were areas I couldn't.

It's good to have new people working on city lists, however the file you produced is completely inconsistent in Dalmatia with Micbic's Hungary and with Italian republics (Sedna: please disregard it for now). Please readd the Transilvanian cities starting from the LAST Hungarian update, which means the one in this post. Also, if you change something please specify what you changed, because as it's been said many times, changes should be reflected in all maps.

Attachments

• Hungary update.rar
    63.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Italy update.rar
    76.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Byz update.rar
    80 KB · Views: 64
It seems there is a problem at opening files .rar, at least I have a problem in that (getting the message "Failed to uncompress game data'' or something like that. Is there any possibility that the files are of the old version and I have the new or what???

The .sav file (hope you open it)

Attachments

• germany compatible.CivBeyondSwordSave
    108.7 KB · Views: 89
yeah sorry I used an old version (23rd November) And I can't open your file, same error.
Can you just post a screenshot of the area (Udine/Weiden etc) please ?

Yes. If the problem remains, it seems screenshots are the only decent way of working.
Sankt Flaum is on old Germanic name for Rijeka (Fiume in Italian, right?)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0019.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0018.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 144
@sedna 17

Made some small changes to Russian CityName map S and E of Minsk due to shifting of Pripet Marshes on st. lucifer's improved map.

forgot to post updated italian names for the Austro-Venetian border (moved Gorizia, added Udine).

Attachments

• Italy update.rar
    76.9 KB · Views: 47
I'm re-purposing this thread as a general-purpose "coded-maps" thread.

So, I'm working on a general-purpose tool to aid in creation and display of RFCEurope "areas". The idea is that we need something like the RFC Atlas so that people can check out spawn areas and victory condition areas. While pretty, that atlas is hard to produce with a simple program, slightly slow and online, so potentially difficult to check, etc.

I'm writing a simple program which will produce a schematic representation of the map with areas overlain. This program is also useful to me for easily making non-rectangular spawn shapes. Key features are:

1) Reads the map from the WBS, so when you run this program it's always up-to-date.
2) Reads and writes areas completely compatible with Consts.py

It also produces relatively small graphics files which we might be able to insert into the Civilopedia, for instance (I'm unsure how hard this is currently). At the very least, we can include up-to-date images with each version.

Here's a sample image. The Austrian spawn area used to be just a rectangle, but I extended it arbitrarily into a non-rectangular shape. Oh-ah. Alright, it doesn't look that impressive, but trust me, it was a bit of work. The idea would be to have one image with all the spawn areas, one with all the "normal" areas, and one for each territory-based UHV.

Comments? Suggestions? Do you think I should get back to work on fixing annoying crashes in the mod instead of wasting my time on this?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 225
A. I don't think it's a waste of time and will be a great help to everyone.

B. Its been suggested that Austria's flip zone should extend west and north-west so they flip Prague and Augsburg when it spawns. Can you do this?

C. Fixing the dreaded 1400+ bug is a big priority if you have time. Please.:D

A. I don't think it's a waste of time and will be a great help to everyone.

B. Its been suggested that Austria's flip zone should extend west and north-west so they flip Prague and Augsburg when it spawns. Can you do this?

C. Fixing the dreaded 1400+ bug is a big priority if you have time. Please.:D

Let's flip Prague and leave Augsburg independent (but with a strong desirability value for Austria, Germany, and maybe Burgundy).

That starts the Austrians with one mid-sized city and Vienna, which will grow rapidly, and space for at least one more good one in the Danube valley, the forest NE of Venice (Tirol or Trent), or NE of their spawn.

We might also consider Augsburg on our independents-to-drop list.

Sedna, I don't think creating these maps is a waste of time at all. It's a big help to all of us, it's a resource we'll need to provide people with eventually, and it provides a platform for debating core areas, flips, and that sort of thing. Definitely worth pursuing.

it's very cool stuff. Actually, I think you could release it as a separate modmod because it would be useful for RFC too. There isn't an up-to-date Atlas for RFC.

@sedna: Sorry for being late in that, but playtesting has led me in updating the German and Hungarian maps. Could you take the time and pass the updates in your next version?

German version:
1) Re-fixed the Prag, now falls at the same square at the indy Prague and that change needs changing in much of the Czech Republic names-basically reverting them to what it PREVIOUSLY was.
2) Extended the names to Upper Transylvania, as per the Hungarian map.

Hungarian version:
1) Some extension at Danube, nothing else.

As per the spawn areas, it's generally a good idea to include them as they currently are at a PNG file. I don't disagree at any point-currently.

EDIT: @onedreamer: Could you post a screenshot at your improvements in the Hungarian map? That means that my current update is not ready-for-use.

Attachments

• Austro-German.rar
    32.5 KB · Views: 46
  • hungary city name platform.rar
    32.5 KB · Views: 58
Right now I can't, btw they only regarded Podgorica in Montenegro IIRC.

I can't open the save anymore (it was with an old version) but luckily I still have a screenshot :D The city names are in italian:
Ribnica = Podgorica
Scutari = Skodra
Cattaro = Kotor

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0037.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 116
Thx a lot:goodjob:

Top Bottom