RFC Europe: Extending/Fixing City Name Maps

ok I really hope someone can help with that. For now I updated the Arabian citylist in Sicily. I made it consistent with my italian map + used arabian names for sicialian cities (except Syracuse, which I can't find).

Attachments

• ArabCordoba CityName map.rar
    88.9 KB · Views: 73
Note. This is saved game, not a WBsave so everybody should be able to open it.

Everybody except for me I guess -- it crashes. Can you re-post as a WBSave? Without any accents you shouldn't have a problem I hope.

I've incorporated Black Whole's Byzantium map, which is an extension of the old one, so should still be in sync with the Balkans. Attached is my WorldBuilderSave version of it, which is "clean" and should work for people to look at. I can't post a regular save for you guys right now, since my current version of RFCEurope is a version ahead of yours, so the save games are currently incompatible.

Black Whole's Russian map is very sparse still -- about 10 cities on it, so not too much duplicated effort here. Hopefully Black Whole and Jessiecat and St. Lucifer can all work together to improve the geography of Russia first and then improve Jessiecat's Russian City Names map.

P.S. Black Whole, your Russian city name map contains some characters I'm having trouble recognizing. For instance, I see the city called Tšernigov, which I assume is the city Tchernigov, Ukraine. I would probably translate š as an s with a caron or hacek, obviously a fine alternate transliteration, but (my copy of) Civ doesn't recognize it as a valid character. I think we should still with non-accented transliterations for now.

Attachments

• Byzantium_CityNameMap.CivBeyondSwordWBSave.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 57
I'm sorry for the WBSaves. I can't open them too :(
I agree with sedna about the characters if they don't work.

I looked through your map, jessiecat, and here are my proposed changes so far:
1. Kiev should be renamed to Kijev
2. the same for Moscow -> Moskva
3. Azov and Rostov lie at the same spot and rostov was built in 1749, so I think it would be the best to remove rostov and keep azov.
4. the same for odessa (1794) it should be Belgorod Dnjestrovski
5. Polotzk -> Polotsk
6. Verluga should be replaced with Nishni Novgorod due to importance
7. Novgorod -> Veliki Novgorod
8. I'm not sure about Anada... I would replace it with Tmutarakan
9. Baklava -> Yalta
10. Kirilov and the area around the lake should be Bjelosersk.
11. In the western part, I would like to include the following cities:
Proskurov -> Halicz
Dubno -> Tarnopol
Konigsberg -> Kaliningrad
12. Kronstadt is only a small island, I would replace it with another name.

That's all for now, the rest looked good so far.

I will try to post screenshots about the new location of the river, since I don't know how to change it effectively.

@ Black Whole. I've incorporated almost all your suggestions to my Russian CityNames map except for these.
1. Rather than use the very long name you suggested for Odessa, I've used its original Khanate name, "Khadjibie".
2. Instead of Kaliningrad (very 20th.C) for Konigsberg I've put its Byelorussian name "Karalaviec".
3. I haven't changed Tver to Kalinin as thats a 20thC. name also. Tver is a very old name in fact.
Thanks for your help though.:goodjob:

@sedna 17. Thanks to the excellent suggestions posted above by Black Whole, I've revised the Russian citynames map. The capitols will now spawn at Kijev (Kiev) and Moskva (Moscow). I've included the WB save below for your viewing.

I've fixed up the Poland CityNames map (which didn't need much changing) and I've extended it to the Rhine using only Polish names (or German ones where its the same). Someone has suggested moving the Prague spawn a couple of tiles north so I've left it as it is on the Poland map for now (Which is where he wants it). Sorry about using a saved game but my can't seem to open my WB ones (some bug).

It was me (who wanted Prag in north). I have no problem with it now (that's why moved it in the German map).

Sedna, thanks for the WBS. However that Byzantine map is inconsistent with the italian and hungarian maps in Italy and the Balkans. I hope to have a fixed byz and a new italian maps for Sunday night.

Sedna, thanks for the WBS. However that Byzantine map is inconsistent with the italian and hungarian maps in Italy and the Balkans. I hope to have a fixed byz and a new italian maps for Sunday night.

Great. After that, the only really unfinished map is for the Dutch (unless someone posted one I missed).

ok I really hope someone can help with that. For now I updated the Arabian citylist in Sicily. I made it consistent with my italian map + used arabian names for sicialian cities (except Syracuse, which I can't find).

Syracuse in Arabic is spelt "Siraguza". (From the wiki site you recommended.):D

LOOOOL, I didn't see there was also an alphabetical list. Awesome page :D

@jessiecat: Can't open your Polish city name map. So no editing can be done.

I edited the city name map of micbic (landmarks for the Carpathian Basin) because I think that there is a quite big area (almost whole Transylvania) which had Hungarian settlements, and this part wasn't so accurate or I don't know. So here it is (attached). I tried to make every landmark an own name, but there were areas I couldn't.

Attachments

• hungarian city name map.rar
    30.4 KB · Views: 77
@jessiecat: Can't open your Polish city name map. So no editing can be done.

It wasn't my Polish map. I just added stuff to the German side of it. Anyway I think Sedna 17 has already coded it for the next version. But here's a saved game of it anyway.

I edited the city name map of micbic (landmarks for the Carpathian Basin) because I think that there is a quite big area (almost whole Transylvania) which had Hungarian settlements, and this part wasn't so accurate or I don't know. So here it is (attached). I tried to make every landmark an own name, but there were areas I couldn't.

I hope you didn't put names on the dense forest (snowy) as you can't found cities there anyway.

I hope you didn't put names on the dense forest (snowy) as you can't found cities there anyway.
Unfortunately I did but the ones not there I think are correct. Because there were settlements like Postyen which do not have significance and have three tiles I wanted to change these things. Anyway sorry about putting names in the snow I'm a noob...

Unfortunately I did but the ones not there I think are correct. Because there were settlements like Postyen which do not have significance and have three tiles I wanted to change these things. Anyway sorry about putting names in the snow I'm a noob...

Replacing city names in a map means replacing these names in every map. So a new version of both German and Polish maps is needed to reflect your changes...(I will do them)

bigger cities 2-4 tiles.

Replacing city names in a map means replacing these names in every map. So a new version of both German and Polish maps is needed to reflect your changes...(I will do them)

I'm not trying to put you off. But if sedna has already coded all these maps for inclusion in the next test version as he says, then won't he also have to recode each map all over again?

Top Bottom