RFC Europe New Music

What do you think about the new opening menu music?

• It is good, keep it.

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • It is bad, bring back Rhye's original song.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • It is bad, find something else that has a Mediaeval theme.

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • I don't care I don't listen to the music anyway.

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters

3Miro

Deity
Hi, I just want to poll people's opinion on the new music. Opening menu music, the Magyar theme is very good and appropriate and therefore stays.

I try not to listen to music in any game I play. Usually it becomes rapidly boring. That's why I always have the sound turned off. If I want music playing in the background I sometimes play one of my favourite CDs in my second DVD drive.
My only suggestion is about the menu music. If people are going to spend just a matter of seconds choosing which civ to play then the present music takes too long before it gets interesting. Better something short and jumpy which kicks in immediately. Something like the opening to Handel's water music or Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" would grab you straight away. I voted for more medieval music esp recognizable tunes like "Greensleeves" for the English which was actually written by Henry VII.
BTW Don't worry about people not commenting on all the work you did with the music. I researched and wrote all the tech quotes and descriptions and did anyone comment on them? Not one, not even you.

I try not to listen to music in any game I play. Usually it becomes rapidly boring. That's why I always have the sound turned off. If I want music playing in the background I sometimes play one of my favourite CDs in my second DVD drive.
My only suggestion is about the menu music. If people are going to spend just a matter of seconds choosing which civ to play then the present music takes too long before it gets interesting. Better something short and jumpy which kicks in immediately. Something like the opening to Handel's water music or Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" would grab you straight away. I voted for more medieval music esp recognizable tunes like "Greensleeves" for the English which was actually written by Henry VII.
BTW Don't worry about people not commenting on all the work you did with the music. I researched and wrote all the tech quotes and descriptions and did anyone comment on them? Not one, not even you.

The comments are way better than error text in caps!

No seriously, they are good.

Personally I am in favor of keeping it, it sounds OK and it gives RFCE a unique feel.

It looks like half the voters so far do not like the song, but only one commented on why. I tried to fix the sound levels, but it did not work. Also, people seem to want our mod to have its own unique music.

I can provide with only two alternatives. All are actually different versions of the same song (including the one already in the menu).

1. The song attached is a Chorus singing with almost no instruments. It has more of an opera feel to it which people might or might not like.

2. The second alternative is on the youtube link. It is a modernized version, the exact style is hard for me to pinpoint. The band makes more of Heavy Metal/Hard Rock, however, there is definite Queen flavor to this one. The sound, however, is anything, but medieval.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOZhl7KAQFc&feature=related

Basically I want to know if the people who voted against the song will like one of those two (or have their own proposal).

Attachments

• Proposal2.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
I think Medieval-sounding music is better.
I'd suggest though we all find some music themes with links to Youtube and then have a vote for the best one.

It looks like half the voters so far do not like the song, but only one commented on why. I tried to fix the sound levels, but it did not work. Also, people seem to want our mod to have its own unique music.

I can provide with only two alternatives. All are actually different versions of the same song (including the one already in the menu).

1. The song attached is a Chorus singing with almost no instruments. It has more of an opera feel to it which people might or might not like.

2. The second alternative is on the youtube link. It is a modernized version, the exact style is hard for me to pinpoint. The band makes more of Heavy Metal/Hard Rock, however, there is definite Queen flavor to this one. The sound, however, is anything, but medieval.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOZhl7KAQFc&feature=related

Basically I want to know if the people who voted against the song will like one of those two (or have their own proposal).

As I said before, there are lots of pieces of medieval or classical music like Handel, Mozart, Vivaldi, Purcell, etc. that you can use which are available on YouTube. But nobody's going to stop and listen beyond the few seconds it takes to choose your civ are they? So it has to be short but effective.
I suggest either "Rondeau" by Purcell or any part of Handel's "Water Music".

Jessiecat, people that have never played the mod before will take much longer to browse the civilizations with UPs and UHVs and I think it is important to give those new players something appropriate to listen to. We can pick among any of a list of composers, but many of those are already included in the Civ soundtrack. I am looking for something like a Medieval Battle March or close to it.

Wessel V1, can you point to a link to the mod. I am curious to see what they have.

Edit: you edited first :)

Jessiecat, people that have never played the mod before will take much longer to browse the civilizations with UPs and UHVs and I think it is important to give those new players something appropriate to listen to. We can pick among any of a list of composers, but many of those are already included in the Civ soundtrack. I am looking for something like a Medieval Battle March or close to it.

Wessel V1, can you point to a link to the mod. I am curious to see what they have.

Edit: you edited first :)

We crossposted. I've just listened to some Purcell on YouTube. I recommend "Rondeau".

I think a high Renaissance French chanson would be good. Somehow I think Europe, at least in the period that we're playing, does not have its center of gravity in Russian/Bulgarian/Hungarian culture. :lol:

Europa Universalis II has a fabulous collection of medieval music.

Check out Joculatores Upsalienses (do a Google search and you should be able to listen to them for free). They bring a genuine medieval flavor with their shawms and gutteral singing.

If anybody is interested I have just reinstalled EU2 for the music files which range from medieval to late classical (too bad it can't run on Vista). My favorites are Falalalan, In dulce jubilo, the Tielman and Senfl extracts, and the Atrium Musicae de Madrid files.

http://www.last.fm/music/Joculatores+Upsalienses/_/Im+Maien?autostart

Tell me that's not the most pungent piece of medieval music you've ever heard (I love the use of the horn in the 3rd refrain, even though Senfl probably didn't intend it to be like this). Does anybody have the translation to the lyrics?

Im Maien, im Maien
Hört man die Hahnen kraien.
Freu' dich, du schönes Bauernmaidl,
Wir wölln Haber saien. (Wir wollen Hafer säen)
Du bist mir lieber denn der Knecht,
Du tuest mir meine alten Recht.

Pum meidlein, pum, ich freu mich dein gar um und um
wo ich freundlich zu dir kumm
hinterm ofen um und um,
freu dich du schöne bauernmeid, ich kumm, ich kumm, ich kumm, ich kumm

Or this (which makes me think of Spain every time) this is written in mid-1500's:
http://www.last.fm/music/Joculatores+Upsalienses/_/Falalalan+(Cancionero+de+Upsala,+1556)?autostart

Handel is well and good, but he wrote around 1710-1760, a little late for the period we're interested in (at least if you don't play the Swedes/Americans a lot)

http://www.last.fm/music/Joculatores+Upsalienses/_/Im+Maien?autostart

Tell me that's not the most pungent piece of medieval music you've ever heard (I love the use of the horn in the 3rd refrain, even though Senfl probably didn't intend it to be like this). Does anybody have the translation to the lyrics?

Im Maien, im Maien
Hört man die Hahnen kraien.
Freu' dich, du schönes Bauernmaidl,
Wir wölln Haber saien. (Wir wollen Hafer säen)
Du bist mir lieber denn der Knecht,
Du tuest mir meine alten Recht.

Pum meidlein, pum, ich freu mich dein gar um und um
wo ich freundlich zu dir kumm
hinterm ofen um und um,
freu dich du schöne bauernmeid, ich kumm, ich kumm, ich kumm, ich kumm

Or this (which makes me think of Spain every time) this is written in mid-1500's:
http://www.last.fm/music/Joculatores+Upsalienses/_/Falalalan+(Cancionero+de+Upsala,+1556)?autostart

Handel is well and good, but he wrote around 1710-1760, a little late for the period we're interested in (at least if you don't play the Swedes/Americans a lot)

I could translate the first song if you want, but I don't really like it. Also the title song has to be more impressive, in my eyes.

I like the second song a little bit more, but its even too harmless. :sad:

What about churchsongs, I don't have any appropriate in my ear, but at least, that's what the game is about!

A self-made translation:

In may, in may
hearing the rooster cry.
Be happy pretty peasant maid,
we wan't to sow the oat (we want to seed oats) *
You are rather than the menial,
you are doing my old rights.

Pum, maid, pum i'm glad your um and um **
where i'm coming glad to you
behind the oven um and um ***
be happy pretty peasant maid, i come, i come, i come, i come

Since this is written in an older german and i don't know the appropriate english spelling i go with this.
* Those two lines are obviously the same only "Haber" is used in Bavaria and Austria and even there not everywhere.
** um = at/about but i'm not sure if its used this way here
*** hmm maybe it's a "sex" placeholder, remember the prudeness at those times

It's a rather dirty little ditty, isn't it?:eek:

I don't propose the Joculatores Upsalienses songs to be title songs, just fillers for in-game.

Top Bottom