RFC One City Challenges(UHV)

Just finished India on monarch. Basically, it starts like a normal UHV attempt except that you don't build any settlers. Settled Lahore on the sugar. Researched masonry, poly, mono, meditation, priesthood, writing, got theology from the Oracle, then built 4 temples and hired priests while researching and trading for basic worker techs and monarchy. After that, went for calendar and construction (should've done that in the other order for this one, though; war elephants are more important). Civics: HR, OR while building infrastructure followed by theocracy when building my war elephants, serfdom after trading for feudalism, and bureaucracy after CS came in. Once I had 8 war elephants, I started marching them toward China. I was able to raze 2 cities but lost most of my force trying for a third and made peace. It was enough, though: when 1200 rolled around, I had about 2.3 million people (one size 16 city) compared to China's 2 million, and Greece (my other competitor for population) collapsed in 1150. To get the city to that size, I built a granary and aqueduct and traded for every health resource I could--the AI sells most resources for 6 gpt, and I had an extra wheat as well as a dye that I didn't need. Also, I had a little luck early on when I got +2 health from a random event.

Screenshots below.

Spoiler :

So I just gave Ethiopia a try on monarch. I missed the religions by a huge amount. I had about 30 turns to go on divine right when Arabia spawned. (and I had popped a great prophet too).

I'm wondering if its possible to go for 2 great prophets, you could build a library and a temple pretty quickly. With 2 scientists and a prophet, you could get 2 great people out before Arabia spawned, but you would have to keep reloading until you got prophets. Still, feels a bit cheap though.

Started a Khmer attempt on monarch recently. The first two conditions were easy enough. Founded Bang Makok on the sugar, revolted to HR and caste system, and managed to pop 3 great artists by the late 1200s (I forget the exact date). Population wasn't a problem either; the city was around size 17 in 1450. The trouble is that it's already 1645, and I've just now finished researching astronomy. Bang Makok is a HORRIBLE science city--can't get 100beakers per turn even with an academy! Production sucks, too; a missionary takes 2-3 turns. Buddhism's at 8% now. I might be able to get it up to 30 before someone else launches a spaceship or something, but turns start getting really long for me around the 1700s, so I'm not sure I have the patience to see this through. I'll post an update if I decide to continue.

Maya OCC is just barely achievable on Monarch. I founded Oaxaca between the corn and the stone. First build was a library, research was sailing>math>calendar. Worked the grassland corn, the stone, and the forested dye hill until the library was finished, then started a granary and assigned two scientists; when the city grew to size 4, I assigned the fourth citizen to a water tile for the extra commerce. Result: calendar in exactly 600 AD! Research continued with CoL, which (thanks to an academy built in 620) came in in 700. I timed the granary to finish with CoL, then started the Temple of Kukulcan and researched BW. Thanks to a chop and a whip, the Temple was finished in 850, four turns earlier than originally scheduled. After that, I basically spent the next 130 turns not getting conquered (though I did wipe out the Aztecs so Oaxaca could keep all its tiles).

Still haven't finished Khmer's OCC yet, but it's looking better now than it was. I just have to finish my ship chain and start gifting missionaries to the European theocracies.

Top Bottom