RFC RAND: Unofficial Patch

Fierabras

Emperor
I'm fixing some bugs in RFC RAND 1.27 and I'm releasing it as an unofficial patch (UP) on Civfanatics. So far it contains:

Spoiler :

CHANGES
  • Added Civ4lerts
  • Added Wide Citybar by asioasioasio in Art/Interface/citybar/.
  • Added bigger revealed surroundings on start
  • Changed Greece UP from 150% to 100% great people generation
ADJUSTMENTS
  • Removed the no-flip for Jerusalem
  • Less barbarian camel archers in Africa (same number for as for low likeness maps)
  • Removed plains requirement for silk to wine swap in Europe
FIXES
  • Fixed non-spawning of coastal starting units
  • Fixed Japan UHV bug when losing a city before 1850 (remnant from vanilla RFC)
  • Fixed barbarian ships only spawn on sea ice (bug from fix in 1.27)
  • Fixed barbarian coastal ships spawning on ocean tiles
  • Added missing CIVIC_SUBJUGATION for some civs
  • Cleaned non-ascci characters from city names
  • Changed "Burocracy" to "Bureacracy"
  • Changed "getHelpThGoths1" to "getHelpTheGoths1"

I was wondering if there's interest for such a patch and if anyone has some suggestions for further tweaks and fixes?

All code changes can be viewed at https://sourceforge.net/projects/rfcrandall/

I've put all the changes in a zip which you can extract to your "Mods" folder. It will overwrite the files in your Rhye's and Fall RAND folder.

I have moved this Unofficial Patch to https://github.com/frankstrater/RFC-RAND-UP

Last edited:
I'm definitely interested in this. Although, what I would ideally see is basically a random map version of Leoreth's Dawn of Civilization, although that might be a bit too much to ask.

Anyway, one feature I would really like to see is plague that no longer kills units, only damages them and kills city pop and cottages (similar to DoC). Another is no burning holy cities; I always see Jerusalem burned to the ground because of massive barb populations around Rome or in Africa (sometimes the same happens when Egypt founds Judaism). Either way, I rarely see a Jewish holy city in my games.

RFC RAND can be very brutal when it comes to barb spawning in north-africa and the middle-east on very high likeness. I'm working on it, I'll consider adding move holy city when razed for judaism.

Adding RFC DOC mechanics to RAND is something I want to do for another modmod. In this patch I'll focus on actual Rand bugs.
I'm currently working on the "Swords of Islam" problem on Very High Likeness. The screenshots show what happens a lot when you spawn late in southern Eurasia (Arabs, Khmer)

With all the barbs spawning in Eurasia and moving southwards you start with a lot of flipped Axes and Swords. The problem is with how Eurasia is defined. The south point is measured by the southest point of India, so this leads to different results with the random map generator. I'll think I'll change the south point of Eurasia to the south point of Northern Eurasia (only for Very High Likeness maps).

I also intend to revisit the barb spawning in Africa to give Judaism a better chance of surviving.

Edit: I'll keep the swords of islam "feature", as Arabs or not flipping cities when Arabia is big and full of barbs.

Sure I am interested. Is it possible to have a more detailed view of stability (F2) as in DoC?

I have another suggestion. Silk spawns way too far west in most of my games. Usually 2/3 of Eurasia has silk, meaning that China to Rome/Greece/Arabia always have silk (I've even seen it spawn near the Atlantic coast of Eurasia). My suggestion is to limit it to spawning in the eastern third of the continent, limiting it to China, Japan, Khmer, Mongolia, and maybe India and Persia.

I have another suggestion. Silk spawns way too far west in most of my games. Usually 2/3 of Eurasia has silk, meaning that China to Rome/Greece/Arabia always have silk (I've even seen it spawn near the Atlantic coast of Eurasia). My suggestion is to limit it to spawning in the eastern third of the continent, limiting it to China, Japan, Khmer, Mongolia, and maybe India and Persia.

This is how it's implemented in RandomRFC.py on line 1542

Code:
if (pCurrent.getX() < (iEurasiaEastX-iEurasiaWestX)/2+iEurasiaWestX):

When this is true, silk gets swapped for wine when likelihood is high or very high. Silk spawns from centre Eurasia to the east. I'll consider changing the code to the same as for the wheat-rice-swap which occurs at 2/3 of Eurasia.

You can change it yourself to this if you want to test it:

Code:
if (pCurrent.getX() < (iEurasiaEastX-iEurasiaWestX)*2/3+iEurasiaWestX):

I just noticed that the wine-silk swap only occurs when the plot is a plains. See line 1538 in RandomRFC.py

Code:
if (pCurrent.getTerrainType() == con.iPlains):

Not sure why this is a requirement, but removing this would solve the problem of silk in Europe.

Cannot play, have this error with Greeks, please help me:

No units but these red circles.

Updated first post. This patch is now a playable mod instead of a patch.

I'm having an issue with the RAND mod crashing to desktop at the end of a turn or at the founding of a city. Is that a hardware issue or an installation issue? This is the most recent release (v1.28).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, which has not helped. The Mod is located in the normal Beyond the Sword\Mods folder in the C: drive with all other mods. Only this one gives issues.

Last edited:
I'm having an issue with the RAND mod crashing to desktop at the end of a turn or at the founding of a city. Is that a hardware issue or an installation issue? This is the most recent release (v1.28).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, which has not helped. The Mod is located in the normal Beyond the Sword\Mods folder in the C: drive with all other mods. Only this one gives issues.

I'm not sure what the problem is as I can't reproduce it. Could you check if the name of the mod folder in "Beyond the Sword\Mods" is called "Rhye's and Fall RAND" (and not RFC-RAND-UP)? Could you also try to see if the original RAND (1.27) works? Also make sure you have updated BTS to the latest patch (3.19)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the problem is as I can't reproduce it. Could you check if the name of the mod folder in "Beyond the Sword\Mods" is called "Rhye's and Fall RAND" (and not RFC-RAND-UP)? Could you also try to see if the original RAND (1.27) works? Also make sure you have updated BTS to the latest patch (3.19)
I can confirm that it is "Rhye's and Fall RAND" and not "RFC-RAND-UP". I have not tried 1.27 yet, so I will attempt that and see if it helps. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom