RFCE and BUG mod

kochman

Deity
Sorry if this was already asked somewhere. Is RFCE compability with BUG? I have BUG, but it isn't using BUG. I realize I can change the .ini to allow BUG, but is it compatible?

If not, any plans to make it compatible?

Someone was asking that long time ago, but I don't remember who. Basically, what is BUG.

BUG is Basic Unaltered Gameplay (I may be wrong on the B), it basically gives you more detail at the top of your screen, regarding who has what available for trade, etc.

Its really a great addition to gameplay, as it only gives you information that you have access too, but you don't have to check every turn...
Example, Elizabeth doesn't feel like trading Astronomy for the moment... you won't have to check every turn to see when she feels like it, you will get a little message at the top of your screen.
It'll also do you handy favors like letting you know when city X is growing next turn, or having a culture pop or getting ready to be unhappy. You could see this anyhow, but now you don't have to check every city every turn.

Very cool feature. In the end, it speeds up gameplay as far as the human/computer interface.

Indeed. It would be a great feature to regular RFC too, especially for micromanagement UHVs like Babylon or Mali. It would be cool to play RFC(E) with the BUG mod.:)

It's not compatible because BUG conflicts with some interface features of RFC/E, it'd have to be carefully merged in, and then it'd add some unnecessary clutter (I'm not sure if everything can be turned off if BUG is merged).

So, what I am getting from this is, it can be done, it would be hard, and right now there are no plans to do it.

Perhaps if we got some more support behind it. Its truly a great tool, and playing without it now seems like going back to commodore 64 or something... no offense to Firaxis, but many BUG features should be a part of every future release.

I wholeheartly agree with you here (since I like to play with as much interface as possible, even tile yields:D). I think the only reason for Firaxis not to do this, is because some players eventually get tired of it. Still, although I haven't ever played a BUG-game, I must admit that it enriches a game a lot.

I have to check it out, but I guarantee you that BUG also slows down graphics. There are people that are having hard time playing RFCE with the current set of graphics, so this may kill them altogether.

Merging RFCE and whatever other mod, would require file by file copy/paste of things for Python and perhaps C++. This is hard and very time consuming, thus it is a low priority.

I have to check it out, but I guarantee you that BUG also slows down graphics. There are people that are having hard time playing RFCE with the current set of graphics, so this may kill them altogether.

Merging RFCE and whatever other mod, would require file by file copy/paste of things for Python and perhaps C++. This is hard and very time consuming, thus it is a low priority.
Between the time saved by a CAR merger, and the time lost by the BUG merger (as far as graphics time)... might break even and end up with a superior product...
Plus, it ends up putting a lot less strain on your system in the end, because you aren't checking advisor screens all the time.

Anyhow, this stuff is beyond my level to make it happen, but seems like it would be a cool addition for the best Mod from this site (sorry to anyone else's mod).

On a related note 3Miro, please consider merging the CAR mod in RFCE. Rhye is including it in new RFC as well. That one is only in C++ and I guarantee there's no conflicts whatsoever, WinMerge did all the job. It's an "invisible" mod and speeds the turn times by caching AI attitude and a few other things, turns are faster up to 15%, less if there's less civs in game: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=332196

I will do CAR first, to save the time for auto-turns. I will look into the BUG as well, when I get a chance.

PS Looked at CAR and we will not get 15% improvement for RFCE. There is just too much of extra stuff that is going on that will not be improved in terms of speed. But the bonus should still be good.

I think CAR mainly optimises C++ code and caches Python values. That's why it works so well in the vanilla game where there is little Python. The more Python you add, the less important C++ is, and the more often you need to check the Python values.

I think CAR mainly optimises C++ code and caches Python values. That's why it works so well in the vanilla game where there is little Python. The more Python you add, the less important C++ is, and the more often you need to check the Python values.

CAR is C++ only and caches internal DLL values, mostly AI attitude which is normally recalculated every time, which causes major slow down with large number of civs. That's why CAR works *better* in mods/scenarios than vanilla game - it was originally made for HotK, not as standalone mod. As I said, Rhye posted he got 15% speed increase in the python-heavy RFC with CAR, at least in modern times when most civs are active. I'll post RFC+CAR today btw.

This is very cool. Spawning the Dutch takes a long time, as we know. Anything that could cut that down is awesome.
Will this be a new release? Or just an update to the SVN?

Top Bottom