RFCEurope 1.4

Perhaps it is fun to play the Burgundian side in the 100 years war. If so, then that might be a possibility as starting date for the Burgundians in the 1200 AD scenario.

(I personally have no principle against unplayable civilizations though, I consider them just an additional (slightly improved) type of independents.)

Oh, now I see your worries.
No need for them, Burgundy is still there, just doesn't start alive in 1200AD.
Apart from the normal respawns which can happen for every civ in the mod, there is even a special respawn for them (with much bigger chance to occur) around the historic start of the 100 years war, in the beginning of the 14th century.

That is my line of thought as well. Not playable at the start, but it can appear later with increased odds.

(I personally have no principle against unplayable civilizations though, I consider them just an additional (slightly improved) type of independents.)

I'm not really fond of "unplayable civs in the role of independents", like Byzantium in vanilla RFC 600 AD. What are the benefits of them compared to normal civs? I mean, the AI doesn't play any differently. The only real difference is that you can't interact with them. Why shouldn't you be able to? The inability to interact with Byzantium was one of the most annoying things in vanilla RFC 600 AD.

Well barbarians are playable nowadays, but I think they support (my/)the argument that the game overall becomes better with the addition of non-playable civs.

So I guess my preference would go like this.

only x amount of playable civs < x amount of playable civs + y amount of unplayable civs < x + y amount of playable civs ^ x + y < optimum amount of playable civs.

Well barbarians are playable nowadays, but I think they support (my/)the argument that the game overall becomes better with the addition of non-playable civs.

So I guess my preference would go like this.

only x amount of playable civs < x amount of playable civs + y amount of unplayable civs < x + y amount of playable civs ^ x + y < optimum amount of playable civs.

Since when are the barbarians playable? I know I made a modcomp for DoC, but you can't compare that. Barbarians have a different role than the independents.

What is the optimum amount of playable civs? Changing a civ from playable to non-playable doesn't change anything to the game. The AI will behave the same. The interaction with the civ will be the same. It only forbids the player to select that civ. I just want to keep that option open.

Do note that there is a difference between a non-playable civ and a RFC-Byzantium like civ. A non-playable civ is just a regular civ that isn't selectable. The other one is also non-playable, but interacts completely different.

I just had a game where the Reformation event never occured, I also have a vague memory of this happening once before as well. I'm speculating that the Dutch are the cause: If no catholic civs discover printing press before they spawn, they settle Amsterdam and spread protestantism there, making it the holy city. Could this bug out the event?

Since when are the barbarians playable? I know I made a modcomp for DoC, but you can't compare that. Barbarians have a different role than the independents.
Do they? For me the difference between a barbarian city and an independent city is negligable.
What is the optimum amount of playable civs?
That depends on the parameters and ambitions for the mod.

For me that usually is the distinctiveness of the civilization (note, I only have the players perspective) but things like space/degree of uniqueness/role and interaction with other civilizations (ao) can also be taken into account.
Changing a civ from playable to non-playable doesn't change anything to the game. The AI will behave the same. The interaction with the civ will be the same. It only forbids the player to select that civ.

Once you are moving pieces around I agree, but I think the ability to select and play a civilization does affect the gameplay of the total mod overall (so it does change a thing to the game).

Also insights gained from playing one civilization can be used when playing a different one. (as can achievements ingame if you don't mind playing a couple of turns with a different civilization first)
I just want to keep that option open.
And even if everything I just said refutes your point of view (which (imo) it doesn't (and also isn't intended to)) I still think you should.

An accident fullfilling an intention should always supersede a conflicting intention without an accompanying accident.
Do note that there is a difference between a non-playable civ and a RFC-Byzantium like civ. A non-playable civ is just a regular civ that isn't selectable. The other one is also non-playable, but interacts completely different.

I am not aware of the details. A priori I consider different abilities for different (non-playable) civilizations a good thing (it enables to them to fulfill different roles).
A posteriori the case of RFC-Byzantium could have been a terrible implementation (and indeed a regular (non-) playable civilization could have fulfilled the intended role better)

summary:

I argue to do make the Burgundian civilization playable.
I am not sure if our ambitions for the mod are the same.
Our intentions following from the ambitions do seem to conflict to a certain degree.
This just means I am really curious to find out what the accidents (implementation of the intentions) will be.

You have my full confidence and support. I really like the barb-modcomp. Besides its merit on its own I think it enhances the (DoC-)mod overall. I await with anticipation how the next version of RFCE will turn out. Take whatever time you need/feel like and I hope you have fun whilst materializing your ambitions.

two questions:

I conquered Jerusalem for the first time from the barbarians as the Spanish in the second crusade. I did not receive a golden age. Is this intentional?

Second question:

When is catholicism the only religion in the Iberian Peninsula? (eg no Moslim civilizatians (regardless of cities with islam) or No cities with Judaism)

Second question:

When is catholicism the only religion in the Iberian Peninsula? (eg no Moslim civilizatians (regardless of cities with islam) or No cities with Judaism)

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition... (purge everything)

Feedback on Spanish civilization.

The feedback on the first spanish UHV is confusing (it becomes green when the UHV is still incomplete (the feedback just appears to notice the presence of catholocism, not the absence of other religions))

The removal of wonders after a succesfull persecution was so unfun for me that I quit the game.

The Aragonese UHV turned out to be a lot easier in the 1200AD scenario.

Well kind of. The computer refuses to yield even 10 years after I succesfully completed the 3 UHV objectives.

The game turned out to be almost constant war to reach the objectives. In a game without periods of peace Mercs are really helpfull. Their increased upkeep is balanced by their increased utility. Nicely done. :goodjob:

Its good way but if a merc win a few war i.e. win 2-3 battle the maintance cost doubled. And later it can skyrocket hard. A swiss pikeman can be good example in asieged city. I think their salary raise should be reduced like +1 gold/level. Or less

Just a minor update:
Still here, not always near my modding comp during the summer holidays, but fairly often being active on CFC.
As of RFCE, I'm working on 1.5 in the background. Always get fed up with the map as I can't make it perfect enough, but that goes away quickly when concentrating on some actual modding aspects instead :)
The map updates are coming along too, although slowly. I think I have changed the shape of NAfrica at least 10 times :crazyeye:
Won't make promises as I'm almost never able to keep them, so let's just leave it with the fact that 1.5 is being actively developed.

Some related news: I also joined the Realism Invictus project recently (a couple weeks ago), I'm sort of a coder in the RI team atm.
Well, that might be a stretch, as RFCE remains my main interest (and it will always remain), but I'm helping there with implementing some new mechanics and fixing some issues.
It will also greatly benefit RFCE on the long run, but let's get back on that later ;)

@ Absinthered

I figured your absence on the forum the last week(s already?) was due to a vacation or something alike and I drastically reduced my inuput on the forum so you would not be confronted by a huge stack of unread posts (on my account).

Your involvement in RI3.3 put that mod on my radar and I might give it a try some time in the future.

Have fun vacationing and modding. In the mean time I'll be looking forward to (whenever you feel ready for) your next release of RFCE with anticipiation and curiosity.

I hadn't had a chance to look over the latest version of RFCE until today. I noticed a bug in the 'Colonies' page: the names of the colonies (in hover-text) did not line up with the location of the circle. So you had the 'Aztec Conquest' colony near Peru, 'Inca Conquest' over Hispaniola, Hispaniola over the Hudson Bay, Malaya in East Africa, East Africa over India, etc. It was a mess. Fix?

I had a (non-bug) question about some of the UHV language. One of the Bulgarian UHVs indicates that I need to 'control' a whole bunch of provinces. Does that mean I *have* to own a city there, or own the only city in that region? Or could 'control' also mean 'extend your culture over that province'?

I ask because there's a really awesome city spot for Bulgaria at the far southwest corner of their core, but it would interfere with decent city spots for Macedonia and Serbia if I have to plant a city in both of those to succeed at the UHV. Thanks for clarifying.

I hadn't had a chance to look over the latest version of RFCE until today. I noticed a bug in the 'Colonies' page: the names of the colonies (in hover-text) did not line up with the location of the circle. So you had the 'Aztec Conquest' colony near Peru, 'Inca Conquest' over Hispaniola, Hispaniola over the Hudson Bay, Malaya in East Africa, East Africa over India, etc. It was a mess. Fix?

I had a (non-bug) question about some of the UHV language. One of the Bulgarian UHVs indicates that I need to 'control' a whole bunch of provinces. Does that mean I *have* to own a city there, or own the only city in that region? Or could 'control' also mean 'extend your culture over that province'?

I ask because there's a really awesome city spot for Bulgaria at the far southwest corner of their core, but it would interfere with decent city spots for Macedonia and Serbia if I have to plant a city in both of those to succeed at the UHV. Thanks for clarifying.

Thx for the report, but the Colony page bug is already fixed in the SVN version.
Control means one of these:
- only you have cities in the province
- if there are no cities in a province, your cultural borders cover all tiles

I try and load the mod, but I get a GFC error I think? It says it failed to load the primary control theme, and then the game crashes.

Yeah, probably should have googled. Don't rename the mod folder, got it.

I guess I will necroing some older conversations.
Altough I'm not really sure if this counts as a necro :)

I just had a game where the Reformation event never occured, I also have a vague memory of this happening once before as well. I'm speculating that the Dutch are the cause: If no catholic civs discover printing press before they spawn, they settle Amsterdam and spread protestantism there, making it the holy city. Could this bug out the event?
Did anyone encounter this bug in the past few months?
I did a quick test, but couldn't reproduce it.
Would be great to have a savegame, on the turn before it happens.

two questions:

I conquered Jerusalem for the first time from the barbarians as the Spanish in the second crusade. I did not receive a golden age. Is this intentional?
Only the first Catholic civ to conquer Jerusalem get's a golden age.
It's not per civ, but global (well, continental)

Just a minor update:
Still here, not always near my modding comp during the summer holidays, but fairly often being active on CFC.
As of RFCE, I'm working on 1.5 in the background. Always get fed up with the map as I can't make it perfect enough, but that goes away quickly when concentrating on some actual modding aspects instead :)
The map updates are coming along too, although slowly. I think I have changed the shape of NAfrica at least 10 times :crazyeye:
Won't make promises as I'm almost never able to keep them, so let's just leave it with the fact that 1.5 is being actively developed.

Some related news: I also joined the Realism Invictus project recently (a couple weeks ago), I'm sort of a coder in the RI team atm.
Well, that might be a stretch, as RFCE remains my main interest (and it will always remain), but I'm helping there with implementing some new mechanics and fixing some issues.
It will also greatly benefit RFCE on the long run, but let's get back on that later ;)

In the end the summer break turned into a real modding break. Again.
I guess it's harder to get back after you stopped for a while...
Anyway, I still managed to do some stuff since then in the background, and now I'm actively here on the forums too, finishing them.
The release of 1.5 is scheduled at the end of the month. We will see how much of my additional plans will be finalized in the next few weeks.

Top Bottom