Rival Civs building near/in territory

klamath

Chieftain
Hey,

I'm a long time civ2 player but fairly new to civ3, one of the main problems I've found in the first couple games I have played a bit of is the other civs building cities in the little bits of territory near my border(s)/in the middle of my civ which i don't control of but are very near my cities, so I basically consider mine.

Is there a way of dealing with this other than just building more cities, and waiting for culture influence to expand? The comp always seems to manage to get very solid borders.

You could use units to keep those areas blocked off before they get there.

Or, um, kill 'em. I usually don't mind tho, since they're so easy to get by culture when they set up independant cities like that, they're practically doing the work for you.

Originally posted by DasScoot
You could use units to keep those areas blocked off before they get there.

Or, um, kill 'em. I usually don't mind tho, since they're so easy to get by culture when they set up independant cities like that, they're practically doing the work for you.

wierd i've never had a city convert.. whats the deal with that?

First off welcome, this place will help ALOT.
Second, it depends on you on what to do about those cities. But you MUST take them. The AIs have been given the ability to know where the resources are going to pop up, so an AI city in the jungle most lily means rubber, desert or tundra, oil. If you are a builder type (like me) buityou nation up and then culture flip them, or wait and see if the AI attacks, justpick them off. If you tend to the Napoleon school of expansion, take them out.

I find the AI creating a city just means they found three tiles that weren't already claimed somewhere. :p

I suppose culture converting might not be so easy, but I play on the lower difficulty levels so that might have something to do with it. For example, in my current game I started on an Austraila-type continent (all others on one huge one), Rome and Egypt both tried putting a colony on the fringes of my empire but they were so far from home, and I surrounded them, so they didn't last long.

Originally posted by DasScoot
I find the AI creating a city just means they found three tiles that weren't already claimed somewhere. :p

I suppose culture converting might not be so easy, but I play on the lower difficulty levels so that might have something to do with it. For example, in my current game I started on an Austraila-type continent (all others on one huge one), Rome and Egypt both tried putting a colony on the fringes of my empire but they were so far from home, and I surrounded them, so they didn't last long.

it's usually easier to flip on lower levels because the AI don't build as much culture

Build a library and temple reasonably early in your cities and these cities they build in your general area will generally flip to you, an important exception to this is Babylonian cities, because they are so strong culturally normally, rarely will they suffer a culture flip against them

Build culture close by, they'll eventually flip. Before they settle you can try to chase them away with military units, this rarely works though. Settling there yourself is probably the best thing ;)

It really does depend on difficulty level I think. I used to get lots of cultural conversions. At harder difficulty levels I rarely see one, even when I move my capital to be adjacent to the border.

Originally posted by Trev
Build a library and temple reasonably early in your cities and these cities they build in your general area will generally flip to you, an important exception to this is Babylonian cities, because they are so strong culturally normally, rarely will they suffer a culture flip against them

why are babylonian cities special?

Since they are religous and scientific, all the culture producing city improvements (temples, libraries, etc) are half price. Very handy ability.

I just had this problem. I have the Chinese to my east and ever since they started settling right next to me, I've been converting their cities left and right (I'm Japan). For awhile, the lands west of me (mountains or jungle mostly) were empty. After awhile everyone in the game had cities to my west. While I was converting a few cities, my borders were slowly getting pushed back in some places. So as some of you have said, I attacked. The 2 civs with the most cities were Egypt and France (who had a mutual protection pact). So I invaded the Egyptian cities then created alliances left and right. I gained atleast 10 cities and probably razed 10. And though I'm at peace with my former enemies, just about everyone else is at war with them :D

So I'd say try to build up your culture while building up your troops aswell.

Top Bottom