1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Roads in Enemy territory

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by chaucer, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Corkmaster

Corkmaster Warlord

The Jeep and the truck would add an extra dimension ( and probably some product placement revenue for Firaxis as 'Jeep' is a brand name as well as a 'generic' term of course.)

The train idea sounds like a lot of extra mouse clicking.
    By the way if a turn is a year or years it is logical that your troops can at least get from one end of your territory to the other in one turn. Actually they could march it in the real world although Russia would be a long haul. Its the speed of advance in friendly as against hostile territory that should be different.
    I think this is very well factored in by the current game, any more restrictions on internal movement ie trains would detract from this balance and be somewhat tedious.

2. The Hun

The Hun Chieftain

A train and truck unit? I hope Einstein was being sarcastic. These units' functions are incorporated into the tile improvement. If we were to start adding units to support units, we'd be stuck in a pit of unit orders. Sounds like someone needs to attend their MA meeting... Micro-managers Anonymous.

3. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

The Americans have fielded the most advanced, mechanized and computerized army in the history of the world. They are pitted against a demoralized, poorly led, poorly supplied, beaten down third-world army. The desert terrain strongly favors the Americans.

The Americans are now racing to Baghdad at about -- 2 miles per hour.

4. TheNiceOne

TheNiceOne Emperor

I'd just wanted to add my support for the right side against the wrong side (sealman: just follow my lead) ;)

Anyway, an attacker is simply slowed down a lot compared to a defender for a lot of reasons that have been mentioned in this thread, but that is not directly portraied in this game. I consider this no-road in enemy territory to be a very playable and abstract way of implementing support lines, small resistance pockets, blown-up bridges etc.

5. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

I've often wondered if it would make sense to allow road movement in enemy land by fortifying unit(s) on them, for at least a turn.

This could be the equivalent of securing your supply line, making sure no bridges are blown up, etc.

Not sure how useful this comment is to the debate though... :mischief:

6. joycem10

joycem10 Deity

annares i really like that idea. it can be seen as a representation of securing your lines of communication and supply.

that said, i cant think of any way to implement it.

7. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

It's sort of implemented now. When you capture a city (the crossroads and railhead), you then control the surrounding transportation network.

(Of course, it is very abstracted.)

Addendum: Notice how the Coalition bypassed Basra, but the Iraqis used that as a base to threaten the Coalition's lines of support. Must control the crossroads.

8. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

(Sidenote. Actually, you can use roads in enemy territory, you just don't get the road bonus. So if the road cuts across a mountain, you can use that road -- at one movement point per tile.)

9. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

After another day of supply routes being attacked, I think I agree now that getting the movement bonus would be unrealistic, even with a few troops trying to secure it. :)

10. barron of ideas

barron of ideas Barron

With reguard to putting troops, etc on trains and moving through enemy territory, in the Russian Civil War armored trains were all the rage, and this sort of thing was done frequently. Don't know why the enemy didn't remove the tracks, but from what I remember reading, one of the principal ways of maintainiing control around cities in the wide open spaces was armored trains.