Roads rock!

gavenkoa

Prince
In my attempts to win: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/immaw-suleiman-alone-in-the-dark.563038/ I found roads extremely valuable.

You don't need to build roads just for the sake of it.

Surprisingly I found them important for deployment of military and even more important for reinforcement.

Mounted units can jump between adjacent cities in one turn and even kill from destination city tile.

Sometimes I move part of forces one or two tiles away to next city to welcome attack on particular city (by weakening it or threatening reinforcing another) or to be able to withstand attack when it is not clear which direction AI is taking (city A or city B).

This all work nice even in early game when cost of road movement is 1/2. With Engineering and 1/3 cost this should be awesome!

Also I built roads in front of a city in possible threat directions. That way slow 1 step units (Archer/Axeman) can attack alone target and return to city for protection and healing.

Of course Always War setting justifies these steps. I haven't realized utilities of roads in "peaceful" games (besides connection of resources and trade routes).

Top Bottom