Robert's Guide to Installing Civ2 Vanilla to 64bit Computers (Win 7/Vista/XP)

Unfortunately, the link to Cedrics files has broken with the move to the new forum, and I cant find them anywhere in the new downloads section. Grateful if anyone can give me a working link! Many thanks!

Well, I too just got the bright idea to look into this just today, for me as I was wiping my old Win 98 laptop to send it to electronics recycling heaven. I spent 3 hours trying to figure it out with fits and starts, making seeing progress only to find a dead link, etc., and finally found this hosted elsewhere (but still crediting "Cedric"), a related set of instructions, these purporting to also fix the psycho AI issue, but most importantly, it has the file actual file downloads and doesn't just refer to them: http://www.thesewall.com/2016/07/19/installing-civilization-ii-on-64-bit-systems/

I grabbed them all, but ended up using "method 2", and now I'm up and running (Win 7 Home 64bit), like it's 1998 or something all over again. Pretty awesome! Even grabbed some old game files from the laptop before wiping it and dropped them right into the remake. Loaded up like they were from yesterday...
(and it includes the no-CD patch, which is really convenient).

Well, I too just got the bright idea to look into this just today, for me as I was wiping my old Win 98 laptop to send it to electronics recycling heaven. I spent 3 hours trying to figure it out with fits and starts, making seeing progress only to find a dead link, etc., and finally found this hosted elsewhere (but still crediting "Cedric"), a related set of instructions, these purporting to also fix the psycho AI issue, but most importantly, it has the file actual file downloads and doesn't just refer to them: http://www.thesewall.com/2016/07/19/installing-civilization-ii-on-64-bit-systems/

I grabbed them all, but ended up using "method 2", and now I'm up and running (Win 7 Home 64bit), like it's 1998 or something all over again. Pretty awesome! Even grabbed some old game files from the laptop before wiping it and dropped them right into the remake. Loaded up like they were from yesterday...

Oh Frabjous day! I can play Civ2 again!! Many thanks!

This link now redirects to some car scam or something of the like.

Anybody still have these files?

@KnownAnon67, you can try web.archive.org
http://web.archive.org/web/20180420...installing-civilization-ii-on-64-bit-systems/

But actually that info is little outdated.
If you already have Civ2 MGE 1.3 (Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f (Patch 3)) then you just need to patch it for 64-bit system. If you have previous version of the game and want to update it to 1.3 then you can find update files here on this site:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/60/
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/52/
I believe this two are the same.

Then if you have 64-bit system then you need 64-bit patch. I recommend to use my new patch:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ks-on-win10-1709-fall-creators-update.622154/

If you need more patches like AI-attitude fix, no-CD, and more then try my loader:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-ii-mge-user-interface-additions-civ2uia.623515/
(It includes 64-bit patch).

For Windows 10 there could be some trouble with DirectPlay components. Google "enable directplay features".

If you have CD with the game and want watch movies/heralds then enable Indeo codec.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/indeo-codec-troubles-with-civ2-solved.362336/#post-14899055
But be sure to turn off no-CD patch, of course.

I ended up installing Windows XP on a virtual machine and running the game through that. Sound lags a bit but overall it works fine. Thanks for the response though.

Still the same problem as of today, January 2019. I'd like to get Civ 2 vanilla working on Win 10 64bit with the wonder movies, high council and animated heralds now that I have a faster PC and plenty of RAM. For now I have the 64bit patch for MGE, but no movies, council or heralds. That gets boring. I like the extras now and then.

I have Civilization 2 Ultimate Classic Collection and i wish i had not updated my game since it ran just fine before doing that.
Somewhere a problem have started to occur and no matter what i do i can´t seem to revert it back to the functional condition of the game, a system back roll and no luck three days back prior to the failing update.
I run it with Windows 7 Pro and i´m not too sure about just what the latest functional update of the game was and the total configuration of Civ. 2 was all in all.

With some help i perhaps can get this going again and i realize this comment here isn´t totally satisfactory to any problem solver but i have used many types of solutions:
Compatibility mode settings, admin rights settings. Uninstall and reinstall from of course the bought CD. Register editing.
The five patch to convert it to the MGE edition and lots of solutions. Tried them all that i have seen posted here on the Civ. Fanatics website but i believe there´s SOME issue that i have over looked and missed.
Perhaps the issue that it at some point when clicking on the .exe file it just doesn´t check for my CD in the DVD player, i think that might be it.
Files used and tried:
Civ2MGE1 to Civ2MGE5.zip files
Civ2x64EditboxPatcher
Civ2XP64Patcher

Official patches (i believe):
civiimge_uccupdate3, civ242, CIV2111

Sorry but i have really lost track of in what order i have used them all by now since it have become rather entangled when trying out several combo´s to find a solution.
I will keep on trying but it disturbs me that the game itself doesn´t even try to use (or just check) for my CD disc and perhaps that´s the problem.

Cheers

Last edited:
OK.
I believe i have fixed my biggest issue with the game here now and just as i thought, i got fooled by some little stupid problem which had to do with the unzip procedure for patches that was SUPPOSEDLY going to be for the MGE patches at least something like this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroProse Software

Instead of, as i see it, the LOGICAL path but the WRONG install path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroProse Software\Civilization II Ultimate Classic Collection

BUT! Since my OS, Microsoft itself makes a problem 10 times worse with all of it´s administrator\user "privileges", denial of accessing folders, editing etc. which i never wanted to have restricted in the first place a small problem quickly becomes hours of unnecessary headache and a waste of time.
HOPEFULLY i have now straightened out somebody else´s issue\problem with this old, but still really fun game, so you can use it like it was supposed to be in the first place and ENJOY IT! :)

Good day

Last edited:
A BIG BIG Thank you for your guide. I managed to make Civ2 work in my windows 10 64bit 2020 PC!

Just a couple of hints to help. Here you ll find Cerdric's MGE files (they are 6, I didnt use Fantastic Worlds) https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/convert-to-civ2-gold/
After that civ2.exe asked for cd. I had to use FoxAhead's civ2 launcher to bypass that stage https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-ii-mge-user-interface-additions-civ2uia.623515/
Problem is that FoxAhead's launcher only works with the Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f (Patch 3), which I found here http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ2/utility/civiimge_uccupdate3.exe

So...
Stage 1 copy everything from Cerdric's MGE files in Civ2 directory
Stage 2 Upgrade to Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f
Stage 3 Use Civ2 launcher

How to run Civ 2 "Vanilla" on 64 Bit Computers (Win 7/Vista/XP):

Hello forums! I've noticed that people's only question in here in Civ2 Tech Support forum has been; How in the earth they can play Civ 2 on Windows 64 bit?? Well there are many, many, many quides to do this but here is my attempt to make this so easy that even an idiot can do this. If you failed to do this, please tell me what is the problem and let's see if I can help. I used Andu Indorin's post to solve the problem, most of the quotes are from him. However I try to make the post to quide form and add some details on it. I did write this quide at the same time when I managed to make this work in the 1st time in my life!

Let's fail start!

found the mods here http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/convert-to-civ2-gold/
#1:

This part is easy. Just put the Civ2 disc to CD-drive (E:/), and check the contents of your E:/ drive. Do this by opening the windows menu from down-left corner of the screen and press "Computer" and go to your E:/ drive.

You see a couple of directories in your E:/ drive. There is "CIV2", "Extras", "VFW_INST" and "WING" directories and Program called "Setup". You have to copy the directory which is called "CIV2".

Now go to your C: drive from the windows menu on down-left corner of the screen and press "Computer". Create directory called "MPS" to your C: drive. Fill your new directory by pasteing the CIV2 directory there (the one you just copied). Now you should have your CIV2 directory in C:/MPS and C:/MPS/CIV2 should be filled of files from your CD.

#2:

This is the part where I failed in the first times. So, follow this link and get Cedric's five parts file-arsenal to convert your Civ 2 "vanilla" to Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition. Otherwise you cannot play Civ 2 on 64bit programs. CIV 2 VANILLA MUST BE CONVERTED TO CIV 2 MGE TO MAKE IT WORK ON 64BIT COMPUTERS!!

Its easy, download the five zip. files from there and check your downloads. Double click the 1st part of Cedric's zip. arsenal. Double click the directory what is inside the zip. You find a file or many files there. Copypaste the files into C:/MPS/CIV2 folder. Repeat this to all 5 zip. files. If windows asks if you want to replace a file that already exists, just say yes to all. Then we are ready with this step. If you try to launch Civ 2 exe now, windows won't deny your access to it but the game still won't work. We have to do something more!

Just to be clear: DO NOT PUT ANY NEW FOLDERS INTO CIV2 DIRECTORY, JUST THE FILES WHICH ARE ON THE DIRECTORIES WHICH ARE ON THE ZIP-FILES!!

#3:

Now we should have Civ2 Multiplayer Gold Edition on our /CIV2 directory. Then we need Mastermind's patch which allows us to get our game really working. Get it here:

Mastermind's Patch vol 2.0!!

Once you get it downloaded, follow these instructions, this part is all my text:

Now you're done with Mastermind's program. Next I tell you how to start your Civ 2 MGE. This part must be done probably every time when starting Civ 2 in future. Me again:

Now you should have working Civ 2 game on your computer. WOOHOO!! Have fun! After this it worked for me. However some people have to do step 4 too, so read it for being sure that your Civ2 works.

#4: For some people who weren't able to load saves after getting the game working:

Done. Now you should have working Civ 2 MGE in your 64 bit Computer :banana::dance::banana:!!! (You have Win 7/Vista/XP most likely.)

Let's think what we did: First we had 16bit program which won't work in 64bit machines. We transformed it to 32bit program with Cedric's zip files. Then we patched it to work with Mastermind's patcher. That's All!

If you have problems, post to this thread and we'll try to help.

As reward I don't ask anything but possible sticky rating so everyone who needs this could find it much easier way.

At last, I'd like to thank all people who made this possible. If your name isn't in the list and you feel like you deserved it, just call me and I'll fix that. Millions of thanks to these people who made my quide possible:

Prof. Garfield, for help me getting started with the issue,

Cedric Greene, for making Civ 2 MGE- upgrade zip. files and telling us how to use 'em,

MastermindX, for programming MGE patcher to us and for helping me to use his program,

Andu Indorin, for the amazing post what I did quote the most in this quide,

goofydink, for solving save loading issue,

You, for reading this quide,

Everyone I forgot to mention.

Written by:

Robert FIN

Thanks for reading :worship:!!

Hi. I was trying your advice but got stopped trying to find the files by Cedric. The link no longer works. Can you or anyone else help? Thanks

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/convert-to-civ2-gold/

Last edited:
What files can't you find?

My apologies, I have since found them. I put the link in my message where I actually found them.

Your link takes me to simcast news portal.

A BIG BIG Thank you for your guide. I managed to make Civ2 work in my windows 10 64bit 2020 PC!

Just a couple of hints to help. Here you ll find Cerdric's MGE files (they are 6, I didnt use Fantastic Worlds) https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/convert-to-civ2-gold/
After that civ2.exe asked for cd. I had to use FoxAhead's civ2 launcher to bypass that stage https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-ii-mge-user-interface-additions-civ2uia.623515/
Problem is that FoxAhead's launcher only works with the Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f (Patch 3), which I found here http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ2/utility/civiimge_uccupdate3.exe

So...
Stage 1 copy everything from Cerdric's MGE files in Civ2 directory
Stage 2 Upgrade to Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f
Stage 3 Use Civ2 launcher

I can't get the update to MP gold to load.

Last edited by a moderator:
How to run Civ 2 "Vanilla" on 64 Bit Computers (Win 7/Vista/XP):

Hello forums! I've noticed that people's only question in here in Civ2 Tech Support forum has been; How in the earth they can play Civ 2 on Windows 64 bit?? Well there are many, many, many quides to do this but here is my attempt to make this so easy that even an idiot can do this. If you failed to do this, please tell me what is the problem and let's see if I can help. I used Andu Indorin's post to solve the problem, most of the quotes are from him. However I try to make the post to quide form and add some details on it. I did write this quide at the same time when I managed to make this work in the 1st time in my life!

Let's fail start!

#1:

This part is easy. Just put the Civ2 disc to CD-drive (E:/), and check the contents of your E:/ drive. Do this by opening the windows menu from down-left corner of the screen and press "Computer" and go to your E:/ drive.

You see a couple of directories in your E:/ drive. There is "CIV2", "Extras", "VFW_INST" and "WING" directories and Program called "Setup". You have to copy the directory which is called "CIV2".

Now go to your C: drive from the windows menu on down-left corner of the screen and press "Computer". Create directory called "MPS" to your C: drive. Fill your new directory by pasteing the CIV2 directory there (the one you just copied). Now you should have your CIV2 directory in C:/MPS and C:/MPS/CIV2 should be filled of files from your CD.

#2:

This is the part where I failed in the first times. So, follow this link and get Cedric's five parts file-arsenal to convert your Civ 2 "vanilla" to Civ 2 Multiplayer Gold Edition. Otherwise you cannot play Civ 2 on 64bit programs. CIV 2 VANILLA MUST BE CONVERTED TO CIV 2 MGE TO MAKE IT WORK ON 64BIT COMPUTERS!!

Its easy, download the five zip. files from there and check your downloads. Double click the 1st part of Cedric's zip. arsenal. Double click the directory what is inside the zip. You find a file or many files there. Copypaste the files into C:/MPS/CIV2 folder. Repeat this to all 5 zip. files. If windows asks if you want to replace a file that already exists, just say yes to all. Then we are ready with this step. If you try to launch Civ 2 exe now, windows won't deny your access to it but the game still won't work. We have to do something more!

Just to be clear: DO NOT PUT ANY NEW FOLDERS INTO CIV2 DIRECTORY, JUST THE FILES WHICH ARE ON THE DIRECTORIES WHICH ARE ON THE ZIP-FILES!!

#3:

Now we should have Civ2 Multiplayer Gold Edition on our /CIV2 directory. Then we need Mastermind's patch which allows us to get our game really working. Get it here:

Mastermind's Patch vol 2.0!!

Once you get it downloaded, follow these instructions, this part is all my text:

Now you're done with Mastermind's program. Next I tell you how to start your Civ 2 MGE. This part must be done probably every time when starting Civ 2 in future. Me again:

Now you should have working Civ 2 game on your computer. WOOHOO!! Have fun! After this it worked for me. However some people have to do step 4 too, so read it for being sure that your Civ2 works.

#4: For some people who weren't able to load saves after getting the game working:

Done. Now you should have working Civ 2 MGE in your 64 bit Computer :banana::dance::banana:!!! (You have Win 7/Vista/XP most likely.)

Let's think what we did: First we had 16bit program which won't work in 64bit machines. We transformed it to 32bit program with Cedric's zip files. Then we patched it to work with Mastermind's patcher. That's All!

If you have problems, post to this thread and we'll try to help.

As reward I don't ask anything but possible sticky rating so everyone who needs this could find it much easier way.

At last, I'd like to thank all people who made this possible. If your name isn't in the list and you feel like you deserved it, just call me and I'll fix that. Millions of thanks to these people who made my quide possible:

Prof. Garfield, for help me getting started with the issue,

Cedric Greene, for making Civ 2 MGE- upgrade zip. files and telling us how to use 'em,

MastermindX, for programming MGE patcher to us and for helping me to use his program,

Andu Indorin, for the amazing post what I did quote the most in this quide,

goofydink, for solving save loading issue,

You, for reading this quide,

Everyone I forgot to mention.

Written by:

Robert FIN

Thanks for reading :worship:!!

Hi. Can't get civiimge_uccupdate3 to load. Also civii in the mps file i made brings up error message that XDaemon.dll can't be found. Any ideas?

Hi Guys,
new to the thread here. I have windows 10.

Downloaded CIV 2 off Moderator Action: Abandonware is considered piracy here. Please don't link to it. The_J

It had a patch included, and I got to the menu, except as soon as I got to the select which civilization u want to be it keeps crashing. saying, 'civ2.exe has stopped working.'

It's really annoying and I just want to play civ 2! Any ideas??:mad:

I got the game from your link. Thanks. I'm running it on windows 7 compatibility

Hi. Can't get civiimge_uccupdate3 to load. Also civii in the mps file i made brings up error message that XDaemon.dll can't be found. Any ideas?

*edit* is ok now. Downloaded from Moderator Action: Abandonware is considered piracy here. Please don't link to it. The_J from Darkest Valley, this thread. Working. I think
Moderator Action: Please consider voting for it to be added to Steam & GoG instead - Blake00

(Copying from the other 64-bit thread)

Just setup Civ II MGE on vanilla Windows 11 64-bit.

I got videos, music working, here's what I did:
  1. Install from CD or make virtual Mixed Mode virtual drive (ie. MDF with Daemon Tools, BIN/CUE might also work).
  2. Make sure CD or virtual is CD-ROM 0 in Disk Management when mounted, if not Disable all of them in the Device Manager and reenable the Civ2 one first. (This is what makes music work).
  3. Enable Indeo 4.1 codecs (they come with Win11 already but are disabled) with CodecTweakTool_667.exe under ACM/VFW (x86)
  4. Install MGE Update 3 patch (official)
  5. Download Civ2UIALauncher and disable No-CD check for videos.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom