Rogue-Likes

Thedrin

Deity
In another thread in this forum
This is the best AND most accessible rogue-like game I've played (I'm hardly an expert on the subject, but I've tried a few).

I've been playing roguelikes for the best part of a decade, though I've only expanded my knowledge of the genre beyond ADOM in the last year, so the bracketed section in the above quote applies to me.

Best roguelike: ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery)

Kept my attention for over 5 years. Early game is lethal, very challenging, and fun. Character development is strongly linked to the items you find (which I am beginning to realise is important to me in roguelikes) - the odd game might generate an early pair of seven league boots or Vanquisher, but simply finding farmable herbs in the early game or failing to find an alter can have a huge effect on how they game procedes.

Major problems are the interface and that it can be very intimidating to get into. The list of commands in the manual is massive. I was playing this game for a couple of weeks before I discovered that I could kick things. I didn't get far in those two weeks. There's no mouse support which is pretty standard for roguelikes nowadays.

Most accesible: Powder and Dungeons of Dredmor

Sometimes in Powder, just getting to the second level can feel like a huge achievement. Characters die very easily. Graphical tiles so those who aren't used to ascii art won't be as intimidated. Simple, straight forward commands. The diety system is fun.

Dungeons of Dredmor is available on Steam for about a fiver. A very succesful release last summer. Lots of work has gone into making the game funny - everything has a description. Not just graphical tiles, but animation too. Interesting character build system. At the beginning of the game you pick 7 of the classes from a list of about 40 and go from there. Early game is lethal. Expect to see "Congratulations! You have died!" a lot.

Best looking (and highly recommended): Brogue

Very similar to the original Rogue. Uses ascii art but a lot of work has gone into make the game look good. It is very pretty to look at. It also has a great user interface (even better than Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup). Very easy to get into - the rules are straight forward - but also quite a complex game. There are no character classes. Character development is driven by the items you find. A wizard is a character that happens to find (and keep) a lot of magical staffs.

Recommended: Cataclysm, Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup, TOME 4

Cataclysm is a post-apocalyptic survival game. To date I've yet to survive longer than an in-game day. Really interesting system for defining how powerful your character is. Rather than being linked to how much you have experience you have accumulated it's linked to your moral. Power is increased by reading a good book, eating fancy meals, smoking cigars, etc. Interface is at the same level as ADOM's, not very advanced.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup already has a thread here.

TOME 4 is being heralded by some as the next major roguelike. It is a massive game. I've only reached the mid game so far and that required over 10 hours of game play. The world it's set in is very compelling - the creater does deserve recognition for creating a fantasy world from scratch. Unfortunately after playing it enough, the early game is very samey, very long, and not hugely threatening. I got to the point where I could be playing for 5 hours before I got to a challenging point (most of that using auto-explore). Whereas other roguelikes feel like you are fighting an entire level at once, TOME 4 has been specifically designed to focus on combat versus individual enemies. There's no food clock or monster respawn meaning that you can rest to full health after every encounter. I hope these issues get addressed because the game is set in a supebly developed world.

Other games sitting on my hard drive at the moment are Doom RL, the roguelike version of Doom, and ADOM 2, which is in the early stages of development.

I've played ADOM and Linley's Dungeon Crawl when both were still in development!!!

Rogue-likes and MUDs/MUSHs were great fun if you didn't have good video capabilities (or money), especially in the 1990s.

You didn't mention NetHack, one of the oldest, continuously developed rogue-likes.

Roguelikes easily go back to TRS80 and older computers, to at least the advent of D&D (1970s).

I've never played Nethack (or Angband or Moria).

Yeah, part of the idea behind Rogue was to create a Dungeons and Dragon game where the computer acted as the dungeon master.

Oh yes, ADOM. I spent way too much time playing that back in the day.

DoomRL is very challenging, I never managed to kill the cyberdemon. The original doom music and sounds are a nice touch though.

I was recently introduced to a few nice rogue-likes Like CoQ and Prospector.

CoQ is post-apocalyptic setting adventure. It's still in development and there are some balancing issues with the skills and some dungeons being a bit too hard. As ADOM veteran I like it and recommend trying it out.
You can play as a human or a mutant. There's a wide variety of skills to choose from, and a as a mutant you can also choose beneficial mutations for your character.

In Prospector you're a spaceship captain trying to make a fortune doing work for corporations. Mapping new planets and anomalies, gathering minerals and biological data from planet surface etc. You can use the money for better ships, equipment and to hire crew, like security personnel for your awayteam. You can also trade and transport goods between stations. The game is still in early development and there are bugs and crashes, but I'll be keeping my eye on this because it looks really promising.

You didn't mention NetHack, one of the oldest, continuously developed rogue-likes.

The last release was almost a decade ago. NetHack is not being actively developed.

As for ADOM, I hate it and my first roguelike experience was with Diablo, NetHack and Dwarf Fortress. I tried ADOM, TOME and others until finding the glorious RL that is DCSS. There is no other RL that compares to DCSS, period.

The last release was almost a decade ago. NetHack is not being actively developed.

As for ADOM, I hate it and my first roguelike experience was with Diablo, NetHack and Dwarf Fortress. I tried ADOM, TOME and others until finding the glorious RL that is DCSS. There is no other RL that compares to DCSS, period.

Any particular reason you don't like ADOM?

I've only played TOME 4 and can't comment on its predecessors. The only major difference I know of is that in TOME, TOME 2, and TOME 3 the acronym stands for Tales of Middle Earth. In Tome 4 it stands for Tales of Maj'Eyal and the creator has developed an original setting.

What is it about DCSS that puts it so high above the others?

Top Bottom