Roman Emperors in Civ 6 terms...

MooFreaky

Meatbag Destroyer
I am a big fan of ancient and classical history, having studied Roman history for many years (particularly the Republican / Early Imperial Ages).
So I had a few thoughts on what the Leader Abilities and Historical Agendas of the various Augusti might look like if they were defined by Civ 6.

To be clear this isn't a suggestion, merely my take on what they may look like. It's not supposed to be serious (and I plan to embrace the generally incorrect caricatures that we have of them. I would like to work my way through all the Western Emperors, but that is a fairly big task.

If you have suggestions, throw them at me!

The Pre-Imperials
Spoiler :

The Senate
Inside the senate house, two toga wearing men stand at the front of the screen, representing the two Consuls. Behind them the senate is full, with the senators reacting to how the discussion is going.

LA: Never Say Die
- Whenever Rome loses a unit in combat any cities currently building a military unit gets a production bonus.
HA: Aggressive Defence - Hostile toward the strongest Civilization within close proximity to Roman borders (but only if that Civ has a weaker military than Rome)

Gaius Marius
He stands, in military garb, with the senate house in the background. He is flanked on either side by several soldiers. Likes to make threats of violence against those who act against him.

LA: Military Reforms - Gets a 33% discount when upgrading all units **Credit Lord Olleus**
HA: Sweet Vengeance - Never forgives past transgressions that involve military action, or threats against Rome.

Lucius Cornelius Sulla
Wearing military garb, he stands inside the senate. The senate is in session behind him.
He constantly makes references to respecting customs and traditions.

LA: Military First
- All Government types lose 1 Economic Slot, but gain 2 Military Slots
HA: The Old Ways - Likes Civilizations that have not changed Government since Rome last changed theirs. The more recently a Civilization has changed Government the less they will be liked.

Julius Caesar
Caesar sits on a simple chair, at a table in his tent, wearing military garb and his civic crown. Maps and letters sit across the table. He continues to read and write while talking to you.
No matter how good or bad the situation is, he always remains passive.

LA: Forced March - Bonus to Great General point generation. Great Generals allow units around them to treat all terrain(?) as requiring only 1 movement point.
HA: Pacify the Neighbours - Hostile toward the Civilization who currently has the closest border to the city of Rome.

The Julio-Claudians
Spoiler :
Augustus
He wears a toga and stands in the senate house, with senators behind him. He refers to himself as the "first man of Rome" and that he speaks on behalf of the Senate.

LA: A City of Marble - All trade routes which pass through Rome generate bonus gold and culture **Credit Lord Olleus**
HA: Roma Magna - Seeks to develop the city of Rome. Hostile toward any Civilization that possess a city with greater Cultural output than Rome.

Tiberius
He is in a military camp, wearing his military uniform. He is stiff but polite. Seemingly disinterested in anything that doesn't refer to wars. When war is the topic, he is animated and passionate.

LA: Great General - All melee units start with bonus experience
HA: Reluctant Emperor - Doesn't possess his own agenda, instead he's led around by the will of his advisers... Gains a second Random Agenda, which is re-picked at the start of each Age.

Caligula
He sits, dressed in finery, within a lavish dwelling. Marble columns, a beautiful garden behind him, etc. He has goblets of wine, grapes and other such things around him. He sits at all times, acting superior and dismissive. Though rises to his feet (and throws things) when angered.

LA: Tyrant - Builders can be used to rush buildings **Credit Lord Olleus**
HA: Raging Insanity - Randomly selects a neighbouring Civilization and is hostile toward them, not matter what. If that Civilization is removed from the game, randomly select another.

Claudius
He is in his library, surrounded by scrolls and tomes. He walks with a limp and turns his head to get his ear closer to you as if struggling to hear (as he was quite deaf).

LA: Great Administrator - Receives a bonus to production for City Centre & Industrial district buildings. Can build Baths quicker.
HA: The Builder - Seeks to build districts. Likes Civilizations that build lots of districts. Dislikes those that do not.

Nero
He is in a great, wildly over the top, palace complex. A fiddle sits behind him, which he occasionally picks up and plucks offhandedly.

LA: Displays of Wealth - Gains temporary happiness bonus in a city when a building is purchased.
HA: Religious Intolerance - Dislikes any Civilization with high faith output, unless they have the same majority religion as Rome.

The Flavians
Spoiler :

Galba, Otho & Vitellius
LA: Different Leaders
- You will spawn randomly as either Galba, Otho or Vitellius. They have no other ability.
HA: Civil War - Randomly throughout the game, several cities within the Empire will become independent and declare war on Rome. This will happen twice, so that all three leaders will have appeared.

Vespasian
He stands in Rome, various buildings visible. Including the incomplete Colosseum behind him.

LA: Importance of Food - Trade routes originating in cities with improved Bonus Resources which supply food, grant food to any city it passes through.
HA: Reconstructer - Will actively rebuild/buy buildings, improvements & districts destroyed by enemies. Dislikes enemies who pillage districts or raze cities.

Titus
He wears military uniform, a fortified city burning behind him. Soldiers can be seen carrying loot out of the gates.

LA: Holy Wars - Gains a bonus against cities that have a Religious District. Bonus increased against Holy Cities.
HA: Please the Masses - Tries to keep happiness high throughout the Empire. Likes Civilizations that keep their cities happy, dislikes those that have too much unhappiness.

Domitian
He is in front of military post on the border. There is a dark, imposing forest behind him, the ground is muddy and there are many palisades and defences around the encampment.

LA: Totalatarian Prosperity - Defeating enemy units within Rome's borders provides a bonus to the closest city's production.
HA: Defensive Lines - Likes to build Military Encampments (and any other defensive tiles that are available) in border regions. Never forgives anyone who attacks them.

The Nerva-Antonines
Spoiler :

Nerva
Standing in Rome, with the forum behind him. He is an elderly man.

LA: Easing the Fears - When a city becomes unhappy, Nerva has 10 (5?) turns to act before any of the negative effects take place.
HA: Money Matters - Seeks to build Rome's finances. Will always seek to pay for trades with money where possible rather than other goods.

Trajan
Standing alongside his famed column, often touching it and running his hand across it. He is middle aged, but energetic and strong; calm, but threatening when aggrieved.

LA: Public Works - Cities get a bonus to production when constructing buildings for the City Centre and Commerce Hub districts.
HA: Wars for Wealth - Highly aggressive to Civilizations that produce lots of gold. (considering his two major wars were largely about money not territory)

Hadrian
A stocky, bearded man he stands in front of a series of temple complexes.
(Alternatively, he stands atop the wall that bears his name...)

LA: Projection of Power - Military Encampment districts bring all adjacent tiles into Rome's territory. If the encampment is pillaged or destroyed, they revert to their original owner.
HA: Cultured Elite - Likes Civilizations that produce lots of culture. Dislikes those that do not.

Antoninus Pius
A tall, handsome (and bearded) man, he stands in a beautiful courthouse, and speaks with a very legalistic manner.

LA: Efficient Administration - Buildings (with exception to those within the Military Encampment) can be purchased for 33% less than their usual cost.
HA: Peace and Prosperity - Likes Civilizations who have are peaceful.

Marcus Aurelius
He stands in a tent, a military encampment visible through the open flap. It is night time, and he is bathed in candle light. He has many scrolls and tomes around him. Talks very philosophically.

LA: Philosopher First - Defeating an enemy unit provides a small amount of points to a random Great Person (not to Great Generals or Great Admirals)
HA: Reluctant Warlord - Builds a strong military. Aggressive toward Warmongers, friendly towards others.

Lucius Verus
He is in a military encampment, next to him are soldiers playing dice. He stands next to an cushion, clearly he was sitting and playing with them. Behind him a city is under siege.

LA: The Sacker - Get bonus gold for sacking a city. This amount increases for every luxury resource within the city's borders (but not if it has been pillaged!).
HA: Lap of Luxury - Likes to have lots of luxuries available. Aggressively pursues luxuries he does not posses.

Commodus
He is tall and strong. Bare chested, wearing a lion pelt across his back with its head atop his own. He carries a large club. The Colosseum is visible behind him.

LA: Games, Games, Games - Bonus amenities from Entertainment Districts. Permanent, empire-wide, happiness increase for destroying a Great General.
HA: Paranoia - Distrustful of any neighbouring Civilization with a strong military but not currently at war. Highly aggressive to any Civilization caught spying on Rome.

Last edited:
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
LA: Military First - All Government types lose 1 Economic Slot, but gain 2 Military Slots
HA: The Old Ways - Likes Civilizations that have not changed Government since Rome last changed theirs. The more recently a Civilization has changed Government the less they will be liked.

I like the idea of Sulla and Marius sharing a Leader Ability, they were soooo similar but hated each other so much, so it makes it funny to me. Plus they both took actions that really stifled Rome's governmental apparatus in favour of military (ironic really since that is exactly what Sulla wanted to avoid).

I can't say if it's balanced but I like the 'Never Say Die' Ability of the Senate.
It is unique and you have to plan to use it, it is not just another bonus to XY. Would be nice to see it in action.

Could be abused maybe when you set all your cities to unit production and send Captain Cannonfodder alone to the enemies army. :>

Three more added to the OP

Vespasian
LA: Importance of Food - Food producing Bonus Resources produce +1 food.
HA: Reconstructer - Will actively rebuild/buy buildings, improvements & districts destroyed by enemies. Dislikes enemies who pillage districts or raze cities.

Titus
LA: Holy Wars
- Gains a bonus against cities that have a Religious District. Bonus increased against Holy Cities.
HA: Please the Masses - Tries to keep happiness high throughout the Empire. Likes Civilizations that keep their cities happy, dislikes those that have too much unhappiness.

Domitian
LA: Totalatarian Prosperity
- Defeating enemy units within Rome's borders provides a bonus to the closest city's production.
HA: Defensive Lines - Likes to build Military Encampments (and any other defensive tiles that are available) in border regions. Never forgives anyone who attacks them.

Last edited:
I can't say if it's balanced but I like the 'Never Say Die' Ability of the Senate.
It is unique and you have to plan to use it, it is not just another bonus to XY. Would be nice to see it in action.

Could be abused maybe when you set all your cities to unit production and send Captain Cannonfodder alone to the enemies army. :>
Yeah I agree. I have tried to give some thought to balance, but relevance and interesting ideas are more important to me.

What about Scipio Africanus? He was not an emperor but just because he loved the republic, so he could be the king if he had wanted.

I like the agenda, especially about never forgetting past transgressions. Would be incredibly frustrating to play against, but would make me think twice about attacking him.

But some the of the LUA are a bit dull. +1 military cards is already done by Barbarossa. Here are a few suggestions from me:

Gaius Marius - Marian Reforms: Discount to upgrade cost of units with each promotion earnt.

Augustus - A City of Marble: +1 culture for every trade route to/from/through Rome

Caligula - Tyrant: Builders can use a charge to boost production of buildings (like China can for wonders and Aztecs for districts)

Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (Can't believe you left him out)
LUA: Triumphs in three continents - Great generals twice as strong in foreign continents
Agenda: Mare Nostrum - Preferentially settles cities on the coast and likes others who do so; but dislikes neighbours with a stronger navy

I think it ironic that Ceasar would get a "trusted lieutants" LA.

Why? The ones that murdered him weren't his lieutenants...

What about Scipio Africanus? He was not an emperor but just because he loved the republic, so he could be the king if he had wanted.
I love Scipio. He is my all time favourite historical figure. I will have to do him as a Great General. Have a look at what they can do and make one for him.

ut some the of the LUA are a bit dull. +1 military cards is already done by Barbarossa. Here are a few suggestions from me:

Gaius Marius - Marian Reforms: Discount to upgrade cost of units with each promotion earnt.

Augustus - A City of Marble: +1 culture for every trade route to/from/through Rome

Caligula - Tyrant: Builders can use a charge to boost production of buildings (like China can for wonders and Aztecs for districts)

I agree, and I like your ideas. Will make amendments to the OP.

I think it ironic that Ceasar would get a "trusted lieutants" LA.
While he had a mixed bag when it comes to some of his Generals and Governors, I was aiming to demonstrate the brilliant officers he developed. His Generals and the various officers (such as senior Centurions) were developed to think for themselves and given all the tools to shine. Part of his success was because his officers could see an opening and made a decision without getting Caesar's orders. So that's the idea I was trying to represent.

Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (Can't believe you left him out)
LUA: Triumphs in three continents - Great generals twice as strong in foreign continents
Agenda: Mare Nostrum - Preferentially settles cities on the coast and likes others who do so; but dislikes neighbours with a stronger navy

I prefer...
Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus
LA: Credit Thief - Received Gold & Culture from defeating units and capturing cities from Civilizations who are currently at war with a third Civilization.
HA: Self Proclaimed Brilliance - Likes to mop up after the hard work has been done. Likes to declare war on Civilizations that are already at war with someone else (especially if they are losing). Wilts in the face of any Civilization who is only at war with Rome.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think the greatest Consuls of the Republic should be added too :)

I fear the move to this subforum may spell death to the thread... but I will see how we go.
I've updated the OP, changing Julius Caesar's Leader Ability to reflect his penchant for rapid redeployment.

Also, I've added some notes to how I would picture the leader screen.

And I've added the 5 Good Emperors... plus Lucius (who is a bit hard done by really. He did a great job) and Commodus

The Nerva-Antonines

Nerva
Standing in Rome, with the forum behind him. He is an elderly man.

LA: Easing the Fears - When a city becomes unhappy, Nerva has 10 (5?) turns to act before any of the negative effects take place.
HA: Money Matters - Seeks to build Rome's finances. Will always seek to pay for trades with money where possible rather than other goods.

Trajan
Standing alongside his famed column, often touching it and running his hand across it. He is middle aged, but energetic and strong; calm, but threatening when aggrieved.

LA: Public Works - Cities get a bonus to production when constructing buildings for the City Centre and Commerce Hub districts.
HA: Wars for Wealth - Highly aggressive to Civilizations that produce lots of gold. (considering his two major wars were largely about money not territory)

Hadrian
A stocky, bearded man he stands in front of a series of temple complexes.
(Alternatively, he stands atop the wall that bears his name...)

LA: Projection of Power - Military Encampment districts bring all adjacent tiles into Rome's territory. If the encampment is pillaged or destroyed, they revert to their original owner.
HA: Cultured Elite - Likes Civilizations that produce lots of culture. Dislikes those that do not.

Antoninus Pius
A tall, handsome (and bearded) man, he stands in a beautiful courthouse, and speaks with a very legalistic manner.

LA: Efficient Administration - Buildings (with exception to those within the Military Encampment) can be purchased for 33% less than their usual cost.
HA: Peace and Prosperity - Likes Civilizations who have are peaceful.

Marcus Aurelius
He stands in a tent, a military encampment visible through the open flap. It is night time, and he is bathed in candle light. He has many scrolls and tomes around him. Talks very philosophically.

LA: Philosopher First - Defeating an enemy unit provides a small amount of points to a random Great Person (not to Great Generals or Great Admirals)
HA: Reluctant Warlord - Builds a strong military. Aggressive toward Warmongers, friendly towards others.

Lucius Verus
He is in a military encampment, next to him are soldiers playing dice. He stands next to an cushion, clearly he was sitting and playing with them. Behind him a city is under siege.

LA: The Sacker - Get bonus gold for sacking a city. This amount increases for every luxury resource within the city's borders (but not if it has been pillaged!).
HA: Lap of Luxury - Likes to have lots of luxuries available. Aggressively pursues luxuries he does not posses.

Commodus
He is tall and strong. Bare chested, wearing a lion pelt across his back with its head atop his own. He carries a large club. The Colosseum is visible behind him.

LA: Games, Games, Games - Bonus amenities from Entertainment District buildings. Permanent, empire-wide, happiness increase for destroying an enemy Great General.
HA: Paranoia - Distrustful of any neighbouring Civilization with a strong military but not currently at war. Highly aggressive to any Civilization caught spying on Rome.

I think the greatest Consuls of the Republic should be added too :)
I do intend to do some of those.

Anyone specifically??

Cicero specifically. Please :)

Cicero specifically. Please :)

Thoughts??

Marcus Tullius Cicero

He stands in Rome, dressed in all his finery. Behind him are the educational buildings of Rome.

LA: Silver Tongue - Gets better deals for all trade deals negotiated with other Civilizations. This includes accepting slightly harsher terms when losing wars with Rome, while demanding less when victorious.
HA: All (rich) Voices Heard - Dislikes any Civilization currently using a Government with more Military Slots than Economic Slots. Likes any Civilization currently using a Government with more Economic Slots than Military Slots.

alternatively... depending on your point of view.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
He stands on the steps of the senate, wearing excessive finery. His foot squarely on the head of a pleb.

LA: In Their Place - Neighbourhoods replaced with Slums. Additional population, but a penalty to happiness.
HA: The Worthy - Likes any Civilization with a high Gold Per Turn. Dislikes any Civilization with a low Gold Per Turn.

Lol, is there that big a debate on Cicero's intents!?

I like your first interpretation of him myself :) Fits with what I know.

He is alternatively described as the hero of democracy, and "the most contemptible scoundrel in history". Basically he was all for democracy, but didn't want the poor to get a say, nor to allow reforms that would improve their lot in life.

Top Bottom