Romans vs Persians

MrBiggBoy

High Admiral
Hey all, I was just wondering... I really love scientific/industrious
(super tech lead/terr. improvement frenzy) but I'm thinking about playing a real MILITARY game (emperor level). Should I switch to Romans (militaristic/industrious) or stay with Persians? Thanks for helping

The Persians are my favourite but I doubt that there would be much difference between them. You may find the Persians are better because you are used to playing with them although the Romans are the milatarilistic civ...

Remember that the Romans are actually Militaristic/Commercial.

The industrial nature is a typo in the user manual that occurs both in the appendix on page 161 and on page 17. There are other changes to civs characteristics as well and it is best to update these pages by marking out the incorrect info and carefully adding in the correct data.

Good luck ...

stay with persians....my favourite.

the immortals are as good as the legionaries (maybe better).

and the scientific trait is a HUGE bonus.

I've only played the Romans occasionally, but my favorite is the Persians. I think they're best as far as military goes, especially in the ancient era, when your immortals can beat on swordsmen and arches with ease. :goodjob:

If you want a real challenge, don't play one of the super-civs like Persia, Japan, China, etc. For a military game, try the English or the French. Play as the Zulus and try to win a cultural victory. I normally try to pick a civ that I have either never played before or that doesn't necessarily suit the goal for the game. It keeps things... interesting.

hmmmmmmmmmm good idea sulla... maybe ill try that!!:D

im playing an emperor game right now, and as the persians, i beat the snot out of the romans who started out next to me.

all you need is an iron source and you're producing 4/2 units very cheaply and quickly. the roman legionairres are good defenders, but less good for actual conquest.

My vote would go for the Persians. Immortals are the most dominant force in the entire game. Couple that with the Industrious trait and you should walk over just about anyone.

For a conquest game Romans all the way. Cheap barracks, more leaders, and a unit that requires no separate defence. On 1.21 emperor legions have a reasonable shelf life, even with aggressive AI tech trading.

Due to their traits Persians are better in games where you conquer a bit early on to claw back some tech and grab some territory.

you all are wrong, the romans (my fav civ) are the best

er.. hmm.. i bow before your superior logic :)

just depends on how you want to play. personally, i'd rather have 4/2 units than 3/3 units since both have a range of 1 (thus your 4/2 isn't really in any danger from attack).

The Persians are great in the Ancient era, but if you expect the game to go into later eras, the un-upgradeable immortal just doesn't cut it. They become obsolete very quickly at the start of Middle Ages. At this point, they just start don't give me the ROI that I expect .... so I give them the axe, and replace them with some new blood. Restructuring costs are quite expensive though.

I play the Greeks instead. Send those hoplites on some training courses, and they can be upgraded right up to mech infantry.

Hoplites may be good for defence but Immortals give the Persians the edge in early combat where land can be grabbed and then from then on you can be peaceful. Alternatively they can be phased out as you get Knights and continue to attack, as Knights can be upgraded to Cavalry...

IMHO - the UUs are sort of equal. Immortals are better for attack and can be affective after musketmen, in case you still have a bunch of them. But Legionaries can hold the city after you take it and remain affective defenders even against knights.

I think the key is the civ traits. Industrious is hard to beat for a military campaign since it's biggest plus is the rate at which captured workers work. Scientific helps you stay current in tech and therfore fight with equal/better units.

Militaristic is huge, fast promotions and more leaders. Commercial does very little for me.

Therefore, I vote Persians (3/2 split decision.)

man.... i wouldn't think i'd start a debate... but o well... im gonna play persian... dont harass me because of it. (romans are good too, but my playing style is more passive perfectionist:crazyeye: :crazyeye:

ah, the good old days of civ2....

The Romans piss me off. They get totally useless traits (Militaristic doesn't noticeably make more leaders, Commercial doesn't noticeably lower corruption), and the UU is useless as well. Legions should OWN everything up to Pikemen! Instead the UU of the Ancient Age is the Immortal, which is really disproportionate since the Persians get the 2nd-best set of traits in the game! (Best IMHO is Egyptians with Industrious and Religious - the gov change can't be beat)...

So I would use Immortals for early conquest. Why? You don't NEED barracks with a warrior-upgraded UU because of barbarian promotions. So the Militaristic Roman trait is useless. The Immortals can seize more ground, and with a beeline to Iron-Working can do it before counterattacks (like Horsemen) appear on the scene...

You may want to consider the Japanese. Religious/Militaristic, see horses from the start. Samurai are solid, and can really put the game on ice if you have a bunch of horseman lying around when you discover chivalry.

-Arrian

I haven't been Rome yet. Maybe in my next game..

the Persians are good, though. The scientific trait is awesome, and the Immortals are pretty tough. Whenever I am against the Persians I try to take them out before they get Iron, or just wait until I have knights and musketmen.

whatever, both are excellent. I`d take Rome, but that`s just my preferrence because of the lower corruption. Maybe, with 1.21, that one isn`t that big a thing anymore.

Why don´t you try both, then tell us about it?

Top Bottom