1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Room to expand as tradition civ

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by rambleintheroots, Jul 12, 2018.

1. rambleintheroots

rambleintheroots Chieftain

Hi all, having trouble thinking about this and hoping someone could share their thoughts.

I'm playing Austria on a Standard Communitas map. Austria feels like a true blue Tradition civ, so I was planning on playing tall until I saw my next door neighbor was Atilla with the Rock of Gibraltar right between us. I loaded up on archers and warriors and wiped him out pre-emptively, but not before taking Tradition. Now I have the whole continent to myself with Greece on a smaller continent right next to me. I'm sending him all of my luxuries for free to keep him off my back until his Hoplites are obsolete.

So now I have a ton of land - enough for 15-20 cities - and I'm almost done with Tradition. I've expanded to about 9 cities which is way more than I'm comfortable with on Tradition but I feel like I have to do it with so much free land. Should I just have kept things small? Or maybe switched to Progress partway through? I'm still planning on a culture/diplomatic victory but I feel like the extra cities give me so much more security if I have to deal with any attacks.

2. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

If you're through expanding, nine's not that problematic with Tradition. What you might have done is cover all the desirable territory with 6-8 well-placed, widely-spaced cities. That's fairly easily done if you avoid coastal cities.

3. CrazyG

CrazyG Warlord

I think it would be an easier game with 1 or 2 less cities.

However just watch your happiness and you'll be fine.

Owlbebach likes this.
  4. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Yes.
    If you wanted to expand with a full Tradition, you could have left the AI settle there and then take puppets.

KmkzKyo likes this.
  5. Owlbebach

Owlbebach Warlord

I don't think any Tradition-based civ need more than 7 cities on any map size. At least non-puppet cities. Don't switch, always a bad move.

Aezuros likes this.