Room to expand as tradition civ

rambleintheroots

Chieftain
Hi all, having trouble thinking about this and hoping someone could share their thoughts.

I'm playing Austria on a Standard Communitas map. Austria feels like a true blue Tradition civ, so I was planning on playing tall until I saw my next door neighbor was Atilla with the Rock of Gibraltar right between us. I loaded up on archers and warriors and wiped him out pre-emptively, but not before taking Tradition. Now I have the whole continent to myself with Greece on a smaller continent right next to me. I'm sending him all of my luxuries for free to keep him off my back until his Hoplites are obsolete.

So now I have a ton of land - enough for 15-20 cities - and I'm almost done with Tradition. I've expanded to about 9 cities which is way more than I'm comfortable with on Tradition but I feel like I have to do it with so much free land. Should I just have kept things small? Or maybe switched to Progress partway through? I'm still planning on a culture/diplomatic victory but I feel like the extra cities give me so much more security if I have to deal with any attacks.

Hi all, having trouble thinking about this and hoping someone could share their thoughts.

I'm playing Austria on a Standard Communitas map. Austria feels like a true blue Tradition civ, so I was planning on playing tall until I saw my next door neighbor was Atilla with the Rock of Gibraltar right between us. I loaded up on archers and warriors and wiped him out pre-emptively, but not before taking Tradition. Now I have the whole continent to myself with Greece on a smaller continent right next to me. I'm sending him all of my luxuries for free to keep him off my back until his Hoplites are obsolete.

So now I have a ton of land - enough for 15-20 cities - and I'm almost done with Tradition. I've expanded to about 9 cities which is way more than I'm comfortable with on Tradition but I feel like I have to do it with so much free land. Should I just have kept things small? Or maybe switched to Progress partway through? I'm still planning on a culture/diplomatic victory but I feel like the extra cities give me so much more security if I have to deal with any attacks.

If you're through expanding, nine's not that problematic with Tradition. What you might have done is cover all the desirable territory with 6-8 well-placed, widely-spaced cities. That's fairly easily done if you avoid coastal cities.

I think it would be an easier game with 1 or 2 less cities.

However just watch your happiness and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom