RPG Rules Discussion

There are problems there - for instance, the poor user who's just trying to comprehend all of the rules on day one, and then on day two they get killed off and can't participate in the RPG.

Originally posted by CivGeneral

I just got an Idea, Would it be possible for the Child Character to pick up some of the Character stats from both parrents or something like it (Starts to feel he is playing The Sims now)

If we are going to make an RPg we should at least stick to the laws of physics and biology. I stress my concern that if CG's plan is implemented Lamarckism will ensue, creating an un-realistic genetic makeup of the RPG world. Therefore I think that only things Genetic should count(innate), and nothing developed over life through work (acquired) should be allowed. Or else we've left our world and moved to one that has never existed on earth, nor will it.

Another idea for charater-rules:
If a user creates a character, he can decide for 1 "family trait ability". (Like Horsemanship etc.).
The statistics are randomly generated, but the random generator should be tuned so that the "familiy trait" abilities get a higher propabity... the character will have random stats, but will be better in his family trait than in the others....

And the next would be: If the above character has children, they inherit the traits of fater OR mother (randomly chosen which one if different). For the children, the user can not choose the trait...

Example:
I generate Sir Alpha, which has a family trait in horsemenship.
Sir Alpha marries Lady Beta later, which has trait on sewing.
When they now get a child, the random generator, and not me, will choose wether it will have horsemenship or sewing as trait... and that of course will be done AFTER i chose the name and sex and ... of the child...
this way we will get some nice sons with a sewing ability when their parents want them to become horsemen's ;-)

and now some ideas to the dictator himself:
THE FIRST DICTATOR
...will be an independant npc with random statistics. this dictator wont hold for long...
this NPC will be controlled by the demogame president or if the president does not like to do that by anyone he gives controll of the NPC to.
* the NPC dictator must not have children
* the NPC dictator must not start family relations with others
* the NPC dictator has half the live expectancy than normal citizens
* the follow up dictatorship to the NPC dictator must not be passed to the person controlling the NPC dictator or any of his characters.

CHALLENGING THE DICTATOR...
during the first week of our nation
at the birthtime of our nation, the dictator will propably not be so well protected. and we wont have good weaponry. so the rule to challenge the dictator is pretty clear:
during the first week of the nation, any citizen can challenge the dictator by creating a character and posting the challenge.
the challenge will be done in a brawl, a manual fight with no weapons, until one of the contestants dies. the fight will be done according to the tournament rules, the winner will be dictator and the looser dies.
normal procedure
after the first week, the dictator will be better protected as our nation settles. the challenge will now be harder.
there will be 2 possibilities:
1) open personal challenge
the aspirant will challenge the dictator officially. if the dictator allows this challenge, he chooses the kind of competition according to the tournament rules on which they want to fight, and the winner will be dictator.
note that the dictator can do anything he likes to the looser! even killing him! also if the dictator does not want ot compete, he can deny the challenge... which will be pretty risky for the challenger...
2) revolution
if some citizens for a revolution with own military, they can attack the official troops of the dictator. the dictator is downed as soon as:
a) all his troops are gone
b) he hold no more cities
c) any storyline which he complies to
3) realism + storyline
if someone finds another realistic way(!) to do it, it is possible.

The brawl and death thing would go against killing a player without permission (after the 2nd despot)...

Killing another player's character has to be regulated in some manner as that other player has absolutely no chance to do anything when you are writing the storyline. It would be manifestly unfair to allow a "whoever writes it first kills whoever they want" type of situation. The Character Manager or Game Manager would also be able to give approval to kill another player's character and that gives the opportunity for some unexpected plot twists. For example, player one has character Alpha, who wants to kill player two's character Beta. Player one PMs the Game Manager, describes the situation and asks permission to erradicate character Beta. The Game Manager looks into the storyline and sees it's far more likely that character Beta would win this conflict so PMs player two and tells him that character Alpha is trying to kill his character but Beta finds out and can either simply foil Beta's plan or has the option to kill or capture him.

@disorganizer - There won't be any special rules for the first despot and the person running him (Game Manager) can do whatever is appropriate for the first leader of a burdgeoning tribe. Who knows? Maybe he'll be a nice guy with only the best interests of the populace in his heart.

Originally posted by disorganizer
Another idea for charater-rules:
If a user creates a character, he can decide for 1 "family trait ability". (Like Horsemanship etc.).
The statistics are randomly generated, but the random generator should be tuned so that the "familiy trait" abilities get a higher propabity... the character will have random stats, but will be better in his family trait than in the others....

And the next would be: If the above character has children, they inherit the traits of fater OR mother (randomly chosen which one if different). For the children, the user can not choose the trait...

Example:
I generate Sir Alpha, which has a family trait in horsemenship.
Sir Alpha marries Lady Beta later, which has trait on sewing.
When they now get a child, the random generator, and not me, will choose wether it will have horsemenship or sewing as trait... and that of course will be done AFTER i chose the name and sex and ... of the child...
this way we will get some nice sons with a sewing ability when their parents want them to become horsemen's ;-)

I repeat again, we must try to avoid Lamarckism like that and stick to normal genetics. If I learn sowing it does not effect my childrens abilities. So I ask all of you again, please stick to normal genetics.

so character development will resemble fallout? we getstarting values for strength, intelligence, agility, luck, etc. And then we have specialized abilities we develop which can be taught o the next generations (melee weapon use, projectile use, barter, lockpick stc.) "?

Thats what my vision for demogame characters are.

will the starting values (strength, agility etc.) be able to be improved? I think it would really make the characters unique if they were static numbers cast in stone once they are decided upon. At least until some of the medical tech advances are discovered (hospitals could improve strength and endurance, but it is a fair amount to do so).

Additionally, will the skills simply be "Melee weapon skill" or will it be "melee weapon skill 35%" which you can train (at various places, for money or items) which you can improve? Then when you train the next generation, they start with half the value of your skill level if they have been trained, and it can develop by reading a book (a good idea would be to open a library when writing is invented, and you can improve your stats by visiting for a small charge and reading a book), or by practicing.

Statistics (physical abilities) would be static. Skills (learned) would be malleable. In DG2 there was the Academy of Noble and Martial Skills where militaristic skills were taught. Actually all we really had in DG2 were skills of a militaristic bent. I hope we'll be able to encourage an expansion beyond that in this game.

traits like barter would be good when dealing with NPC's, repair could fix things easier. Of course this means that everyhting has to have a value when dealing with it and relate it to the skill level and traits of said character. Quite the mind-boggler :crazyeye:

We could do a Civ3 attribute style (and then some). More like classes of skills.

Merchantile (Commercial)
Militaristic
Adventurous (Expansionist)
Religous
Engineering (Scientific - but also creating things, not nessecarily machines and tools. This one could have several sub-traits)
Industrious
Maritime (seafaring)
Agricultural

something like that maybe...

If someone had agricultural and engineering traits, it's possible that they could be an inventor for agricultural farming. Or, they could specialize in one trait.

commercial traits, agri, seafaring and industrial traits would be difficult to differentiate, they are so similar, often overlapping from one to the other.

to the rule about only killing a player when he approoves: who decided that yet? i thought it was just a proposal :p

to the traits: ct, that was exactly what i meant... just a bit more basic than those many traits...

examples:

agricultural trait:
someone with that trait automatically improoves the income of his land in food by 50%. if such a person runs a food producing shop, we could also lower his "taxrate" as his production will be more efficient.

mercatile:
someone of this trait will improove all his gold-tile incomes by 50%. also he will have a lowered "taxrate" for all businesses where he does not produce things.

industrious:
shield income up by 50%, tax reduction on producing businesses.

engineering:
can set 1 point more than normal in all engeneering stats. will have reduced taxrate on all construction businesses.

militaristic:
can set 1 point more than normal in all militaristic character stats each term. will have reduced taxes for miliary businesses.

scientific:
can set 1 more point than normal in ALL character stats which are not engineering and militaristic. will have reduced tax for scientific and "teaching" businesses

something along those lines...

@shaitan: so wont the first rpg manager get too much power? and how can the dictator be challenged? the first NPC doesnt have any need for other people... he can do a lonely job giving nobody the chance to revolt.

throw in some negative parts though, the scientific trait sounds alrady like one everyone would want. Except for me, because my character is just a simple man living a simple life. Scientific could reduce points fro militaristic or something.

Top Bottom