RPG Rules Discussion

The Game Manager won't have too much power as he's simply running an NPC to facilitate the game. He is not trying to "win". Hopefully nobody will fall into that trap where they think they have to one-up and best the other players. We're trying to foment a cooperative storytelling environment.

so the first game manager is the despot then?

Very odd there shaitan, in the demogame main forum, the last post was by you at 4:01, then in the RPG sub forum it says your post was at 4:00, in the thread itself (here) it says 3:59!

The first Game Manager will be running the NPC for the first despot. Remember that the Game Manager's primary responsibility is to facilitate gameplay and storytelling.

Regarding the wierd timestamps it's not odd at all. I simply refuse to be limited by linear time. ;)

Originally posted by Shaitan
The first Game Manager will be running the NPC for the first despot. Remember that the Game Manager's primary responsibility is to facilitate gameplay and storytelling.

I refuse to be limited by linear time. ;)

:hmm::eek:

BTW, I've got the perfect smiley for the despot!

Originally posted by Chieftess
There are problems there - for instance, the poor user who's just trying to comprehend all of the rules on day one, and then on day two they get killed off and can't participate in the RPG.

Getting killed does not mean a player cannot participate in the rpg - it simply means he or she must start a new character. As for rules, don't make up alot of 'em and they won't be difficult to understand.

I agree that one player cannot simply make a post saying *I killed So-and-So*. If someone wantes to try to kill someone else then they have to pm the appropriate rpg manager who (somehow) decides if the attempt succeeds. If there is a battle and the appropriate rpg manager determines that character A captured character B in the battle then A should have the option of doing as he (or she) pleases with B, including execution. I'd like to remind everyone that the idea we were trying to use was to let the rpg develope as the demogame civ acquires techs. In the beginning there will be no currency, code of laws, etc. We will be living in a lawless practically barbarian state. Violence and killing will be the norm in the beginning as characters struggle for power.

Also, as in RL, most murders won't be committed unless there is a motive. While there may be some senseless killing for the sake of killing, most murders will be committed to gain something. Players who want to extend their character's lives by staying out of the power struggles can certainly do so by living *normal* lives rather than trying to be a power wielding noble who must watch his or her back all the time. I'd also like to remind everyone that the time will come when we do have a code of laws and the days of simply walking up to another character and running him through with a pointy stick (or whatever weapon is currently in vogue) without legal consequences will not last forever. Also, even before a code of laws is developed murderers will have to contend with the surviving friends of his or her victims.

i second donsig there. killig should definitely allowed. later on as we will discover the techs of lawmaking, those people will be punished.
another thing you have to keep in mind is: every time you try to kill someone, he also has the chance to kill you.
of course one of the managers must approove the action. as he will have to define which method applies and has to calculate the result. if the attacker looses, the attacked person may decide what to do with him, to kill (successful as he already defeated the attacker) or to give mercy (propably arresting the attacker or somehow torturing him).

@immortal: good idea. so i would propose each trait also gives a stat-loss for non-trait stats :)

stop spamming :) i see stuck already starts into dictatorship play here (or at least tries to)

btw: we will urgently need a new ruleset up, or we will end in chaos again... we already have some threads up which should not be there because we didnt even start the game yet...

I have another idea for characters. Genetic Diseases. Like in real life, it's possible to inherit some sort of disease. Each character will have a disease 'varible' so to speak - [ carrier, inactive, active ]. A carrier means that the character has that disease, but it won't affect them. Inactive means the character has it, but doesn't feel the effects. An event could trigger the disease (i.e., the character reaches a certain age). To keep things simple, I'll have just one type of disease. This could simulate the 'inbreeding' done by royalty lines (as the royal family usually marries within their family). If only one parent has it, there's a 50/50 chance. If both have it, there's a 100% chance that the child is a carrier (and a 50/50 for inactive).

If the characters are related to each other (say, cousins in a royal line who are a prince and princess), there's a higher chance of disease forming in the next generation, thus starting another line.

Come to think of it, there could be maybe 3 classes of genetic diseases:

common / crippling / fatal.

common has no effect on life span, and would be an annoyance. I don't mean something like the common cold. Things like a minor deformaty, disease in old age, etc.

crippling may have an effect on life span. These range from say, blindness to organ conditions, to crippling deformaties.

fatal would effect the life span, such as diseases of various organs (lungs, heart, liver, brain). The discovery of medicine has a chance of inserting fatal diseases, which is lessened by the Cure for Cancer and Longevity wonders.

This would go along side with the normal diseases. communicable and non-communicable. Diseases would have to be major, like Malaria. Current techs could even bring the onset of more diseases, like trade.

(I feel like I'm reinventing the left out feature in Civ3)

brilliant, though hard to track.

i would suppose only the character manager knows who has which disease... and the chances...
as soon as we discover medicine, they can be revealed by going to a hospital and pay for research on the disease.
with genetics, they can be cured.

i would suppose we can dig holes and build small huts until construction. only exception would be the "palace".

I could set up a MySQL database. :)

We could use the techs for this:

Medicine - "Cures" all common genetic diseases, and cuts the base chance of a normal disease occuring by 25%.

Sanitation - Cuts the base chance of a normal disease by an additional 50%

Genetics - Cuts the base chance of a normal disease by 20% (leaves 5% for "superbugs"). Also cures crippling deseases, and cuts all genetic diseases by 75%. Chance for a total removal is:

base: 50%
with Cure For Cancer: 20%
with Longevity: 20%

For genetic diseases, there can be a non-announced event when a disease is spawned. Or, it could be set turns. It will be some small percentage, like say, 5% of the total poplace will randomly get a disease.

hmm, time to write up a C++ program and experiment! :D

I think sanitation would be the largest reducer of diseases and illness, lookingat it from a historical perspective, it was certainly a huge improvement from the window bombs of decades before.

Proposed - More Character Rules: Generations

Each character must be atleast 10 years of age to rear children. (max pop is 20 in the game without granaries)

A character can not rear children after the age of 50.

Each character can only have 1 set of children per game turn. (1 set being 1-5 children)

Each character can only have a maximum of 10 children in one lifetime.

It is possible to adopt a child into the family. But, the child will be marked as "no heritage" (for possible gameplay use)

For each child born, that (female) character has a natural 50%chance of dying due to to childbirth. This rate drops to 1% after Medicine.

A character must be Married to another character to have children (just to avoid some umm... obscenities which aren't allowed on these forums)

The Firstborn child gets a "birthright", which lasts forever in a Monarchy, but only until Nationalism in all other governoments.

@Immortal - I have a chart, where sanitation has just those effects. (and medicine too).

Top Bottom