Running CivilizationVI.exe and steam.exe with administrator privilege

DeckerdJames

Warlord
I don't know if this will help any of you. I don't play into the end game that often, so I can only say that over a few hundred turns, most of them within the first 100 turns of the game, doing the following has stopped my game from crashing, so far. I don't think I should try to test this out for an extended period of time, because even if my game doesn't crash for weeks, I won't know if it stopped crashing coincidentally or because I made the changes.

My windows 11 system reports a fault in ntdll.dll caused by CivilizationVI.exe when my game crashes. The event is logged and viewable with the event viewer as an error in the application log. It almost always crashed within the first 100 turns in every game.

The two simple changes I made:
I ticked the box for CivilizationVI.exe to run as an administrator in the compatibility options found in the dialog box when right clicking CivilizationVI.exe and choosing properties.

I ticked the same box for steam.exe.

On my machine the two programs are found at:
D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe
D:\Steam\steam.exe
Most people probably have it on their C: drive somewhere.

Running the programs with that option ticked causes two warning dialogs to appear when I start Civ 6, one for each program, but I run them anyway. I made the changes at the same time, so I can't say which change seems to have made a positive difference, or if both changes were necessary. It has not crashed since then, and I have gone through a few early games and 300 or 400 turns.

Perhaps this post is premature, but I figured I would just post it and see if it helps anyone else.

(I see I made a spelling error in the title. I don't see an option for editing it, though. Sorry)

I always run Civ in administrator mode (don't know why I rarely uncheck that box for apps) and my games still crash now and then, though I'm on Windows 10, maybe you're talking about a Win 11 specific Issue that causes those "faulty dll" reports.

btw, top right of the thread text where there is "watch thread", there is also a "tools something" option, click it, and click "edit title".

I am not sure about if it is Windows 11 specific. For a very long time, it didn't occur to me to check the event log for the error. It might have been after my OS upgraded to Windows 11.

Thanks for the tip on how to edit the title.

Top Bottom