Runs fine on 5770

gfeier

King
Although it's not listed in the specs, Civ V runs very well on the (Apple) ATI Radeon HD 5770.

Just mentioned it because Aspyr doesn't list it as a supported GPU.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only tested it on the GPUs they had available at the time.

Good point, didn't realize the 5770 just came out for the Mac. 300m's now listed as a supported card on the GameAgent blog.

Just upgraded a 2006 Mac Pro (1,1) from a 8800 to the 5770, making a very nice improvement in the overall graphic quality and render speed. However, some graphic issues seem inherent to the game:

- Gamma is still way off.
- Flickering when scrolling over certain parts of the map. This also occurred on the 8800 in OS X, but not on either card in Bootcamp.
- Interestingly, water looks better on Medium than it does on High, probably from the lack of AA.

Despite these issues, it's a huge improvement, especially considering the age of the machine...

The main drawback with the smoother graphics is that I'm playing longer games, and thus noticing more problems with the gameplay itself :confused:

Come on patch.

Premier, sounds like we have the same setup, except I upgraded from an X1900 XT which made for an even bigger improvement. Are you also seeing the red spots on the terrain? I've seen this mentioned elsewhere as a bug.

Premier, sounds like we have the same setup, except I upgraded from an X1900 XT which made for an even bigger improvement. Are you also seeing the red spots on the terrain? I've seen this mentioned elsewhere as a bug.

Hi gfeier - yes, still seeing the red spots. On the 8800 I had them, and also got those huge red and white checker tiles late in the game. The 5770 seems to have taken care of the checkers (so far), but the red spots are still there.

Top Bottom